Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: The world's only immortal animal

  1. #11
    the point was an interesting post about a jellyfish that was hijacked by 2 libs who cant help but show their fangs whenever possible.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    the point was an interesting post about a jellyfish that was hijacked by 2 libs who cant help but show their fangs whenever possible.
    I have no problem with the original post, just the discussion.

    You think Kenf is a liberal?
    C5/6 incomplete

    "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

  3. #13
    i dont think kenf hijacked the thread.do you?

  4. #14
    Ah sorry. I see your point. No he didn't.
    C5/6 incomplete

    "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    i dont think kenf hijacked the thread.do you?
    How did I hijack the thread? Kenf was the asshole first. Post #2 was a serious addition to the discussion. Your reading comprehension skills suck if you can't read in order and see whose fangs came out first.


  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    Ah sorry. I see your point. No he didn't.
    Yes, he did. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...57&postcount=3


  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    While interesting, there is no such thing as immortality this side of heaven. Consider this: Even if humans didn't die of natural causes, they'd eventually die of outside causes: car accidents, falling from a height, being blown up, etc.
    I've read that if human beings were "immortal"--immune to illness and aging--external causes, such as accidents, would still limit the average lifespan to about 1,700 years.

    The jellyfih thing is really fascinating, though. I wonder how they get around the regeneration limit built into cells? If humans were to do the same thing, would it mean going through adolescence repeatedly? I think I might prefer death
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

    "It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

  8. #18
    That jellyfish is really cool animal. Be neat to figure out exactly how it does it though. What cells it uses to go on.

    "You think Kenf is a liberal?" That a funny one.
    oh well

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    I've read that if human beings were "immortal"--immune to illness and aging--external causes, such as accidents, would still limit the average lifespan to about 1,700 years.

    The jellyfih thing is really fascinating, though. I wonder how they get around the regeneration limit built into cells? If humans were to do the same thing, would it mean going through adolescence repeatedly? I think I might prefer death
    Yes, I was being civil and adding to Kenf's thread, not taking away from it. I thought it was a keen observation that even if we were immortal, external causes would eventually kill us just because of chance. We see this theory acted out in our own short lifespans: a perfectly healthy individual gets killed in a car accident. Barring that accident, the said individual could have gone on to live into their twilight years.


  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    That jellyfish is really cool animal. Be neat to figure out exactly how it does it though. What cells it uses to go on.
    We agree on something.


Similar Threads

  1. Transdifferentiation: The Curious Case of the Immortal Jellyfish
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
  2. New evidence that stem cells contain immortal DNA
    By carbar in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 05:17 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 11:25 AM
  4. World's First
    By patecatl in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2002, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •