Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: replacing spinergy LX spokes

I have never had to replace a spoke or had an damage. I have had to tighten spokes and it is some trouble because I have to remove the tire/inner tube and liner but with the supplied wrench from Spinergy, tightening the spokes is easy.

Mine was from being frayed sitting too close to the fire. Another was when I smoked and I put the cigarette out on the spoke forgetting it wasn't a metal spoke. It's a good idea to have a few spares around. I bought a few years and years ago; never needed to change them. My Spox set has quite a few frayed but it still seems to work fine.

Never had to have my Spox tightened. The LX's I've had to do twice. This last time I bought the LX sport set which has a few more spokes in the wheel. Trustfully they'll be like the Spox, never needing to be tightened. I forget the poundage used when truing. Spinergy or someone here should know.

It's funny that you had that experience with the LX. It's the same for me. Over four years I had to adjust my LX wheels several times. I am now running Spox and nothing I've done to them has loosened a thing. I wonder. I prefer the more open wheel design of the LX but I always want durability over anything else. I once spoke with a tech at Spinergy and he was telling me that they heat their wheels to set the spokes, pre-stretch them. He said that way they were likely to stay put and need much less maintenance. I can't agree with him based on my results. My LX's when new needed tightening within a month, then a while later and then again a few months later. After that they seem to settle. They still aren't staying tight but they are loosening less.

The Spox haven't changed a bit and I've put them through a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I have never had to replace a spoke or had an damage. I have had to tighten spokes and it is some trouble because I have to remove the tire/inner tube and liner but with the supplied wrench from Spinergy, tightening the spokes is easy.
    Wait, so if my Spox need tightening I have to take off the tire and tube??? This seems like a terrible design flaw.

I'm about to put a new set of tubes and tires on, should I just go ahead and make sure everything is trued before I put it back together?

I never thought of it as a design flaw. The tools that come with the wheels are a flat wrench and a tubular wrench or socket. The tubular one goes inside the rim in the hole where the spoke nipple comes out. Hold it there while tightening with the flat wrench. If you think your wheels need truing, yes I would do that while you already have everything off. Seems the most convenient way to me. Do they need adjustment?

I wish I didn't have to take off the tire, the innertube and the rim liner to do this but it's not complicated, just hard taking all that stuff off (for me). I think they are great wheels. Smoother ride than anything else I've tried and they are very strong. I rode steel wire spokes for years and the noise never stopped. Every time out I heard it. The Spinergy wheels are quiet. At least until there's a loose spoke and then there's some rattle but even then it doesn't compare to the endless noise from steel spokes and, with my Spox I haven't had anything loosen. I really like their stuff.

I have had my current chair with LX wheels for over 2.5 years and the spokes have never needed adjusting, nor do they now, thankfully. Same with my previous chair.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I am glad for you. The last thing we need is to work on our chairs. I wonder why my LX's needed tightening. Maybe it was a one-off thing. The Spox are tight as a drum. I think Spinergy makes good wheels.