Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing spinergy LX spokes

replacing spinergy LX spokes

I've been wondering what kind of procedure to follow to replace a spinergy spoke. A while back I ordered some replacements to customize the look of my wheels. The thread on the ZR series2 with the single white spoke got me thinking again...
    anyways, I'd like to change 3 per wheel. if I were to remove and replace 1 at a time how do I go about making sure they are tensioned correctly? Is this something I want done at a bike shop? I thought about phoning and asking them but of course they'll say "yes, bring your money".
    Anyone replace these spokes? I couldn't believe how flexible they are! like the pictures of them tied in a knot.
    Last edited by tooley; 03-18-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: sunglasses at night

When you will change your spokes even you think you have tighted all the spokes with the same tension probably the wheel will be very unbalanced, and you will need to balance the wheel properly.
    I good bike shop will do it with no problem

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    When you will change your spokes even you think you have tighted all the spokes with the same tension probably the wheel will be very unbalanced, and you will need to balance the wheel properly.
    I good bike shop will do it with no problem
    hi totoL1

I need to change one spoke, because the pbo fiber is appearing.
    In this case, will I need to balance my wheel too?

Quote Originally Posted by chriZ View Post
    hi totoL1

I need to change one spoke, because the pbo fiber is appearing.
    In this case, will I need to balance my wheel too?
    yes, if you want them perfect balanced

I worked as an auto mechanic prior to my injury and my honest thoughts on this is how could a wheel "out of balance" have any effect on anything at 3 mph? There were times our wheel balancer would act up and you still could not feel any kind of wheel shimmy below 30 mph... probably not the best for bearings, though.

anyone else that's not a downhill wheelchair racer have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I worked as an auto mechanic prior to my injury and my honest thoughts on this is how could a wheel "out of balance" have any effect on anything at 3 mph? There were times our wheel balancer would act up and you still could not feel any kind of wheel shimmy below 30 mph... probably not the best for bearings, though.

anyone else that's not a downhill wheelchair racer have any thoughts on this?
    Of course you are not going to advice nothing going from the bed to the kitchen, and from the kitchen to the computer.
    But even if you are not a downhiller if you`ve got a wheel out of balance when you go down the street, people who go behind you will see your wheels shimming, and I don`t know about you, but I like having my material in good condition.

Today i put the timer going when I made my daily flat 9km(5.59 miles) in my daily chair and i stopped at 42:36, so do the account for see if i exceds 3mph.
    Last edited by totoL1; 03-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Today i put the timer going when I made my daily flat 9km(5.59 miles) in my daily chair and i stopped at 42:36, so do the account for see if i exceds 3mph.
    Yes, we know you're a superstar. I am not. I have been in a wheelchair less than 6 months. I don't like spending money for something I'm more than willing to learn and perform myself.

Let me correct myself- anyone but this guy have any thoughts?

Surely if a bike tech can do it for bikes that go no more than 50 mph, I can do an acceptable job for myself at 3 mph. But definitely not for this guy, he's Christopher Reeve (pre-SCI).

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Yes, we know you're a superstar. I am not. I have been in a wheelchair less than 6 months. I don't like spending money for something I'm more than willing to learn and perform myself.

Let me correct myself- anyone but this guy have any thoughts?

Surely if a bike tech can do it for bikes that go no more than 50 mph, I can do an acceptable job for myself at 3 mph. But definitely not for this guy, he's Christopher Reeve (pre-SCI).
    I don`t spend money for balance my wheels, i do it myself, next time when i change my tyres i will take out a pair of spokes and i will make a video for the forum for you can see a wheel shimming and what to do for balanced.
    I think that Christopher Reeve would like to be at this moment me( rest in peace).
    Of course if you replace a few spokes and you tight them nearly the same you are not going to have any problem, spin the wheel on the axle and you will see the balance of the wheel.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25vC...eature=related can give you an idea of what to do, Spinergys LX are easier wheels for balanced because they only have 12 spokes.
    Last edited by totoL1; 03-20-2010 at 08:00 AM.

I have all kinds of fibers sticking from my spokes. For years, with no problem. I've changed many "one spoke" Spinergys. Just take off the tire, undo the spoke and tighten up the new to feel like the others. It's one spoke no big deal. If ya do it wrong take it to a bike shop. THe fiber spokes are not like the metal ones we are used to. They have a lof of leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I have all kinds of fibers sticking from my spokes. For years, with no problem. I've changed many "one spoke" Spinergys. Just take off the tire, undo the spoke and tighten up the new to feel like the others. It's one spoke no big deal. If ya do it wrong take it to a bike shop. THe fiber spokes are not like the metal ones we are used to. They have a lof of leeway.
    Hi Patrick
    How often do you need to change spokes? How often they get damaged? I'm writing from Mexico and I'm planning to order a couple of them in case something happens.

Thanks