Thread: Wireless network file sharing question.

Wireless network file sharing question.

I have 3 computers in my household, the biggest guy is connected directly to the DSL modem, it is then connected via RJ45 cable to a hub which is then connected to a Linksys wireless router. The 2 other machines connect to the router via wireless cards, one runs XP home ed., the other is an old laptop running Win 98SE. I used to be able to see the two "child" machines from the big guy back when everyone ran Win 98SE. Now, since I installed two new pcs with XP home and XP PRO (the "big" one runs PRO), I can't view folders on the two machines with wifi cards or share printers.
    Is there something peculiar about wireless setups and file sharing or did I just set things up incorrectly.
    Please advise.
    Thanks in advance.

Your setup should be:
    modem->linksys router->computers

You can drop the hub. Just connect your big guy to one of the RJ45 ports on the router. There is one port to connect to the modem, the others are "output" so that you are on the same side of the router as the wireless connections.

The way you are currently setup, the big guy is on the "front side" of the router and the others are on the backside. This will stop communication.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Thanks McDuff -
    I think I misrepresented the situation unintentionally. The Linksys unit I have is referred to as an 'Access Point" - I don't think it's a router. I don't think it's that "smart".
    Maybe I need to upgrade to an actual router and then do the connection directly to the DSL modem as you advised.
    I tried connecting the "Access point" directly to the "big guy" and the link shutdown. I had to reconnect it to the hub.

Make sure all of your computers are on the same workgroup. I don't remember how it was done on Win9X/ME, but in XP, go to control panel/system, click the "Computer Name" tab, click the change button to change the computer name and workgroup. When all the computers are on the same workgroup, they will automatically show up in the my network or network places.

Even if they are on different workgroups, you can still access their shares by searching for the computer name or browsing the entire network for other workgroups.

I have one computer that connects to my network by wireless. I access it using a remote desktop software, and I've noticed that it sometimes doesn't show up on the network places until I log in and acknowlege the wireless connection (the little bubble that pops up at the bottom when it first connects).

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Serendipitously (is that a real word?) - just when I was in the market for a wireless router, I caught the deal for a Belkin 802.11g unit under Paul Nussbaum's "Buy of the Week" post. I stopped in and picked up a unit at CompUSA and will install it soon!
    Hope this improves things.
    Thanks Paul!

Originally posted by garvey:

Serendipitously (is that a real word?) - just when I was in the market for a wireless router, I caught the deal for a Belkin 802.11g unit under Paul Nussbaum's "Buy of the Week" post.
    Garvey: you're more than welcome and "Serendipitously" or "Serendipity" is an excellent choice of words. I also believe that Liz is in the market for a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Router. CompUSA is also having a sale Wireless Desktop Network Card and Wireless Notebook Cards for $19.99 after rebate.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Network Notebook Card

PN

[This message was edited by Paul Nussbaum on 04-07-05 at 08:31 PM.]

Garvey, you are correct an Access Point is just an add on to an existing network to allow wireless.

Jims suggestion below would be the next logical place to check.

If you do upgrade, I would go for a combo modem/wireless router. Get rid of the existing modem/hub/acces point, clean the area up a lot. If you do, make sure and match to your existing router type, cable, DSL(frame relay or ATM). Or just get a wireles router, whichever you comfortable with.

But I would resolve your current problem first though. If all your computers can access the internet, then your network is operational, switching hardware won't fix it. It will be settings on your computers within your network.

Ooh, just thought of something to check; If you are using the Windows Firewall, or don't know if its on on each computer,
    on one of the wireless computers, right click on the wireless icon in the task bar(little comp with "waves")(sorry if this is overkill info), then click the Change Windows Firewall Settings. If the firewall is on, turn it off and see if that fixes it.

Ya know what, you need a router. After just writing this(damn I'm rambling), I realized that your computers could be at risk. With your current setup each and every computer has an unprotected avenue to the internet. This means you have to have all your software settings(Windows firewall/antivirus/etc) just right to be protected. A router will add a hardware firewall level of protection for your whole network in one shot. Still need to protect comps but not near as much at risk.

If you try the firewall off test, remember to turn it back on as that computer will be wide open to risk.

[This message was edited by McDuff on 04-07-05 at 11:38 PM.]

I'm still wrestling with this situation - Earthlink Total Access refuses to see any network connections now, but IE has no problem.
    Sitting on my old Toshiba laptop running Win 98SE I have access to my neighbors system - have to tell her to batten down the hatches!

Know nothing about Earthlink, but went to their site and browsed. Came across this:
    link

It just walks you the clearing of IE's cached stuff, but may be something to try. I'm assuming you are using IE even when using the ETA stuff.

Irritating huh? Ain't technology great?

Originally posted by garvey:

Sitting on my old Toshiba laptop running Win 98SE I have access to my neighbors system - have to tell her to batten down the hatches!
    Try turning off the software firewalls and see what happens. Is your neighbor using Windows 98 or XP?

PN