Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Public Bathrooms

Other than being in a wheelchair what handicap would be one where a person would be justified to use the stall? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilson37650 View Post
    Other than being in a wheelchair what handicap would be one where a person would be justified to use the stall? Just curious.
    People who use crutches, canes, walkers. People who are unable to seat themselves or rise without the assistance of grab bars. People with tremor, ataxia, spasticity. People who need the help of another person to dress and undress enough to use the toilet. And that's just off the top of my head.

Changing tables for infants are also often located within the larger stall. While I don't think that is ideal, I am sympathetic to parents with small kids who need the extra space to change diapers.

If I was using a bathroom stall and somebody was being an asshole and jiggling the handle and yelling at me to hurry up, I would probably be inclined to be an asshole in return and have no rush to vacate the stall.

People with stomy is using the HC bathroom too because it has a sink and water.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    People with stomy is using the HC bathroom too because it has a sink and water.
    Wow! Is that right? I thought stomi ppl went out into the woods to have a shith.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Changing tables for infants are also often located within the larger stall. While I don't think that is ideal, I am sympathetic to parents with small kids who need the extra space to change diapers.

If I was using a bathroom stall and somebody was being an asshole and jiggling the handle and yelling at me to hurry up, I would probably be inclined to be an asshole in return and have no rush to vacate the stall.
    The scenario I'm picturing is an AB using a HC stall, I think 'we' are justified to request their expeditious exiting because what other stall are we going to use? They can use any of the if they're AB, we only have one. So, if I gotta shit and some AB is in the toilet, I'm going to be an asshole. Just my .02.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    The scenario I'm picturing is an AB using a HC stall, I think 'we' are justified to request their expeditious exiting because what other stall are we going to use? They can use any of the if they're AB, we only have one. So, if I gotta shit and some AB is in the toilet, I'm going to be an asshole. Just my .02.
    I get that but my question is: when you start jiggling and yelling HOW do you know the person inside doesn't have as legitimate a need for that stall as you do? I think it has already been stated in this thread more than enough that it isn't just people in wheelchairs who need the larger stalls.

Go ahead and be an asshole. That is certainly your perogative. But again I will ask: do you have x-ray vision?

Personally I err on the side of caution. I know the larger stalls are constantly abused by able bodied people. But I also realize I am not the only person who needs to use the stall just because I use a wheelchair. So I don't automatically assume when I roll up and see the stall is in use.
    Last edited by orangejello; 04-02-2010 at 03:53 PM.

I am not in a wheelchair but I sometimes use a HC stall because I have to self cath due to a non-functioning bladder. I try to use them only when I can not use the AB stall due to the fact there is not enough room to lay everything out. Also some of the HC stalls offer a bit more privacy which I prefer. I was at a rest area once where in order to use the HC bathroom (it was a seperate building) you had to go around back and ask the attendant to unlock it which I did. I would appear to be an AB person however I do feel I am justified in using the HC stall if necessary. The attendant sort of gave me a dirty look, put down his sandwich, and unlocked the building. I'm sure he felt I had no right to use it. I guess my point is that some people with a HC can appear to be AB when they are not. I also use the "family restrooms" when they are available for privacy. So far I have not had anyone jiggle the door handle.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    I get that but my question is: when you start jiggling and yelling HOW do you know the person inside doesn't have as legitimate a need for that stall as you do? I think it has already been stated in this thread more than enough that it isn't just people in wheelchairs who need the larger stalls.

Go ahead and be an asshole. That is certainly your perogative. But again I will ask: do you have x-ray vision?

Personally I err on the side of caution. I know the larger stalls are constantly abused by able bodied people. But I also realize I am not the only person who needs to use the stall just because I use a wheelchair. So I don't automatically assume when I roll up and see the stall is in use.
    I don't know, nor do I have X-ray vision, but can you tell me HOW many times you've seen a disabled person come out of a handicapped stall? 9 times out of 10 it's an obvious able bodied person that comes out and some will actually say sorry. So, no I don't know for sure it's not a handicapped person for sure, but I'm going with my odds from past experience. If it happens to be a handicapped individual or an elderly person, I will apologize if need be......but that happens rarely, most of the times it's people my age or younger with nothing obviously wrong with them. If it's a disability I can't see, then I'm in the wrong.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Quote Originally Posted by dwilson37650 View Post
    • Anyone who can't raise or lower themselves from the toilet without assistance of bars, including people using crutches or canes.
    • People with bad knees or hips that may need the assistance of bars or a higher seat
    • People traveling with a caretakers, like someone with Alzheimers
    • People accompanied by infants or smaller children who won't all fit in a regular size stall
    • People looking for space to change a baby's diaper. Sometimes they put the changing table in the HC stall or that stall is the only space where there is room to change the diaper if there is no counter space, no changing table outside the stall or no floor space.
    • Someone in urgent need of a toilet when all other stalls are occupied (broken, etc.), EVEN IF some of those stalls then open up after the person enters the HC stall.
    • Oh yeah, and the "fat f*cks" referred to higher in the thread who don't fit in the regular stall.

I am not a wheelchair user or disabled at all. I stumbled on this site yesterday after coming here to make a donation to justadollarplease.com. So maybe my view represents a different perspective. I really don't think most able-bodied people consider the HC stalls as reserved, like in the same way accessible parking spaces are reserved. They're there, but you might have to wait, just as able bodied people often have to wait for a stall. So if need be (see above), they'll use the HC stall.

Can someone explain what the problem with that is?