Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Public Bathrooms

The sign says ...

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I guess I'm conflicted about this. How would I feel if I were using the restroom, and somebody was outside jiggling the handle and saying, "How long are you going to be?" What if the person who is using the stall is a disabled person who needs more time and more stability? Not everyone who uses the wide stall is abusing it.
    Well, I am taking this as a work situation. At work you kind of know who has a physical disability and who doesn't. There are the obvious signs like a stick, cane, walker or 'chair and who also has assigned handicap parking spots near the building.

A good rule of thumb is if you see a newspaper on the floor of the wide stall a good chance they don’t have a disability. It is also obvious if someone with a ‘chair is in the stall you can see part of it from the floor.

In the almost twenty-three years sporting a ‘chair I never crossed paths with another person in the stall with a ‘chair. I would exercise better judgment if I saw a visible sign of disability.

It is just bad personal manners or very poor judgment if five narrow stalls are open and one wide stall is being used by someone reading the newspaper on the floor.

By law, ADA, the employer has to make a reasonable accommodation of an accessible stall for someone who uses a 'chair. Now, if a person using a 'chair experiences a bad case of autonomic dysreflexia and needs hospitalization because a non-disabled person was using the stall that would fall under a workman's compensation claim which is enforceable by labor laws. Then after that, it is up to the employer to enforce who uses the stall.

Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I do. And I can't do a 180 degree transfer.

I guess I'm conflicted about this. How would I feel if I were using the restroom, and somebody was outside jiggling the handle and saying, "How long are you going to be?" What if the person who is using the stall is a disabled person who needs more time and more stability? Not everyone who uses the wide stall is abusing it.
    What other disability requires an extra-large stall to toilet? When I used a cane/crutches, I could use the small stalls. Heart patients etc. can as well. We hear the invisible disabilities thing often, and they do exist. Most don't preclude usage if a standard bathroom stall though.

I say jiggle away.

What other disability requires an extra-large stall to toilet?
    For some people, it's not the extra roominess they're after, it's the grab bars and/or the raised toilet. I've a number of friends with conditions ranging from shredded knee cartilage to MS to rheumatoid arthritis that can't stand up on their own from a regular toilet -- they need the grab bars and/or the added height of the toilet to get back to a standing position.

My beef with public toilets is that the ADA allows businesses to count any one of the approved designs toward their "accessible" stall totals, leaving some places without any stalls that are actually large enough to get a chair in and close the door, let alone transfer. These places are filled with stalls with grab bars on both sides that are one chair wide and deep -- the kind that even if you manage to get into by ramming your footplate against the toilet, you can't close the door.

And companion toilets for people who need an aide or companion of the opposite sex to transfer? Forget about 'em.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Had a "first" last night. Went to a concert and went to pee, and of course the h/c stall is locked. Look under, and see a foot and knee on the ground. My mind went huh? Then I hear "blehhhhh uhhhhh", shit somebody puking in there. I said "really dude? It's only 8:30." "blehhhh uhhhh"

There is a "bank" of probably 20 stalls and at the other end, was a mini h/c stall, so I go there and use my reserve bag cath kit to pee.

On my way out, "blehhhhh uhhhh", so I roll up and say, "I'm in a w/c dude, if you need to puke again later, you better not be in the fucking handicap stall again, or I will block your ass in for the whole concert." "sorry man, blehh uhhh".

At least he managed to keep it in the bowl, the stall was clean next time I went.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    For some people, it's not the extra roominess they're after, it's the grab bars and/or the raised toilet. I've a number of friends with conditions ranging from shredded knee cartilage to MS to rheumatoid arthritis that can't stand up on their own from a regular toilet -- they need the grab bars and/or the added height of the toilet to get back to a standing position.
    I think these kind of disabilities would be fairly obvious and there wouldn't be an issue. My opinion is, if you can sit in a normal chair and get up to a standing position unaided, then you should keep out of the HC stalls period. In otherwords these assholes at work, sit in an office chair and get up to refill their coffee cups many times a morning with no problem, not to mention it's 50% Military members......so these are the type of people that irk me when they use the handicapped toilets as I search for an unoccupied one.....
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

I've seen many "handicapped" stalls, which have grab bars and raised toilets, but are not wide enough, thus not accessible to a wheelchair user. In these bathrooms, here may be a few of these handicapped stalls, but only one (1) wheelchair accessible stall.

I was at a mall where the bathrooms on the floors indicating "handicapped accessible" had many of these "handicapped" stalls per floor, but not necessarily one I could access with my chair, as the one I did find was taken by someone - a non-w/c user in a fairly large empty bathroom containing many stalls. I mean, I really had to "go" and zipped around from floor to floor trying to find one I could fit, cuz every time I thought one was available (yay! *whew*), I'd open the door to find a narrow space with nothing more than a grab bar (fuk fuk fuk!). Anyway, a maintenance guy, after seeing me go quickly in then out of a bathroom, directed me to a "family" bathroom on another floor. This was a huge single bathroom, in the same restroom area on that floor, containing 2 toilets, 1 regular toilet and 1 raised toilet with bars, and a 2 sink counter with 1 end raised for a w/c. This was something new at this mall, the family section also including a "nursing" lounge area/room. Kinda cool, and now where I'll first go check out next time I need to 'go', but this still doesn't excuse the problem of non-w/c users using w/c accessible stall when other stalls are clearly available.
    Last edited by chick; 03-20-2010 at 02:32 PM.

I'm still madly in love with you.

Oh wait did I type that AND hijack the thread?

sorry.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Radar

England solved this problem by using special keys for the public restrooms:
    "The National Key Scheme (NKS) offers independent access to disabled people to around 7,000 locked public toilets around the country. RADAR would like all providers of accessible toilets to keep their toilets unlocked if at all possible. The NKS is suggested for use only if the provider concerned has to keep the toilets locked to stop vandalism and misuse."

Read more about this here: http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite...1/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    What other disability requires an extra-large stall to toilet? When I used a cane/crutches, I could use the small stalls. Heart patients etc. can as well. We hear the invisible disabilities thing often, and they do exist. Most don't preclude usage if a standard bathroom stall though.

I say jiggle away.
    it can be done, but then getting up off the pot without the rails is not so easy. can use crutches unless the floor is wet. often is. just the larger stall is a bit easier to use when impaired, and dragging along backpack crutches and needing the rails to get off the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    I'm still madly in love with you.

Oh wait did I type that AND hijack the thread?

sorry.
    Was it the lovely vision of me almost pissin myself....? Or do you just have a thing for public bathrooms?