Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Public Bathrooms

Posting a sign and talking to management is probably your best bet. Signs don't always work though. I've caught many AB people coming out of the accessible stall at school which clearly says "Reserved for persons with disabilities" including teachers and couples. I'd say about 85% of the time it stinks too. So frustrating!
    ~Ashley~

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    So I'm just curious...
    Handicapped toilet stalls are made larger to accommodate a wheel chair,
    but how many people in wheel chairs transfer to the toilet in a public
    rest room?

It seems to me that a handicapped/wheelchair accessible toilet doesn't
    even need a toilet, just somewhere to empty into and flush!
    While I do my BP at home there are times when your stomach gets upset and you got to go...

There's a funny Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about this called "The Bowtie". There's a lead-in scene to this earlier in the episode, but this is the best part from the end:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFpkmKDm6YE
    And another one from a different episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJr1apgVwqg

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I’d grabbed the door handle and shake it a couple of times and the person inside would get the hint.
    I do this all the time. At the last place I worked I had to do it a lot at first, but after a month or two it seemed like the other guys were taking the hint.
    At a previous job I asked for a sign (just a standard blue wheelchair person symbol) to be mounted on the stall door and they did. It helped.

..but how many people in wheel chairs transfer to the toilet in a public rest room?
    I do! Some of us don't do an elaborate BP. I carry gloves with me so I can go anywhere I need to. Pooping is important!

So I'm just curious...
    rest room?

It seems to me that a handicapped/wheelchair accessible toilet doesn't
    even need a toilet, just somewhere to empty into and flush!
    I do...since my disease (according to my doctors) has not progressed enough that I need to cath....instead I push up into my bladder to get it to release.

The people at my job use it to go #2...because apparently they need extra room to make stinkies. I love, after waiting there, going in and being overwhelmed by the smell.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

WolfeMan, I know what you mean!

Almost every year one of the architects will grab me and ask, “Do I want to check out the new ADA modifications to the buildings?” We have some old buildings that every year funds are set aside to get them modified. I go with the architect and a tape measure and we check out the modifications to see if they were done to code and specifications.

Sometimes the architects will ask me for input on a new rehab set of drawings for next year’s buildings. I brought up the issue of other ambulatory employees using the wheelchair stall to lay the newspaper on the floor to read the sports page because there is more space on the floor. I’d grabbed the door handle and shake it a couple of times and the person inside would get the hint. Sometimes I’d wait outside the stall waiting for them to get out to see who was abusing it.

So the architect came up with this sign to be mounted on the inside stall wall. It works effectively.

Ti
    I'm off today, but I'm going to be sending an e-mail to EEO Monday morning along with a copy of this sign. Thank you!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Okay, you guys and girls inspired me and I sent the e-mail TODAY!

Here's what I sent, let me know your thoughts good or bad.

Doc Walker,
    I have an on going problem with the wheelchair accessible bathroom stalls. 9 times out of 10 they are occupied by an able bodied individual while the other stall is empty. A lot of times, it's a repeat offender who has done it in the past and is aware I'm in a chair on the 3rd floor and is aware it's the only stall I can use. So I either push down to the other end of the hall or go to another floor to use that accessible stall only to find it occupied while the 3 other stalls are empty. A lot of times it's used as a toilet and/or a clothes changing station by able bodied Military members, which is even more frustrating. There has been occasions when I've searched 3-4 bathrooms on various floors for an unoccupied accessible stall. This has been going on for years and I really do not want it to look or sound like I'm whining or asking for a special accommodation. This is a reasonable request/necessity and at times becomes an emergency situation when I am unable to find an unoccupied stall.

I do not know how to approach this situation now or when it occurs, but I would like to request some sort of action or awareness initiated by your office. To make DTRA personnel aware that the accessible stalls are meant for disabled individuals, especially those in wheelchairs who have no other options than THAT ONE STALL.

Thank you for all that you have done in assisting me, your assistance is as always greatly appreciated.

I have attached a copy of a sign as a mere suggestion that may help the situation. Please let me know your thoughts and if you would like to get together and discuss this situation, I would be happy to Monday as I'm off today.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,
    Lawrence Wolfe
    Program Analyst
    Consequence Management Division
    Defense Threat Reduction Agency
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Good job. Now, wishing you good luck!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Reasonable accommodations

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    Okay, you guys and girls inspired me and I sent the e-mail TODAY!

Here's what I sent, let me know your thoughts good or bad.

Doc Walker,
    I have an on going problem with the wheelchair accessible bathroom stalls. 9 times out of 10 they are occupied by an able bodied individual while the other stall is empty. A lot of times, it's a repeat offender who has done it in the past and is aware I'm in a chair on the 3rd floor and is aware it's the only stall I can use. So I either push down to the other end of the hall or go to another floor to use that accessible stall only to find it occupied while the 3 other stalls are empty. A lot of times it's used as a toilet and/or a clothes changing station by able bodied Military members, which is even more frustrating. There has been occasions when I've searched 3-4 bathrooms on various floors for an unoccupied accessible stall. This has been going on for years and I really do not want it to look or sound like I'm whining or asking for a special accommodation. This is a reasonable request/necessity and at times becomes an emergency situation when I am unable to find an unoccupied stall.

I do not know how to approach this situation now or when it occurs, but I would like to request some sort of action or awareness initiated by your office. To make DTRA personnel aware that the accessible stalls are meant for disabled individuals, especially those in wheelchairs who have no other options than THAT ONE STALL.

Thank you for all that you have done in assisting me, your assistance is as always greatly appreciated.

I have attached a copy of a sign as a mere suggestion that may help the situation. Please let me know your thoughts and if you would like to get together and discuss this situation, I would be happy to Monday as I'm off today.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,
    Lawrence Wolfe
    Program Analyst
    Consequence Management Division
    Defense Threat Reduction Agency
    WolfeMan when you talk to your supervisor have EEO with you in the meeting and use new words like customized employment, reasonable accommodation of an accessible mens room stall that is readily available. There is no reason to go to other floors to use the mens room. Disability awareness training for all employees. Suggest a sign be mounted inside the stall made out of plastic sign material.

A letter from your doctor explaining that if a toilet/stall is not readily available you may experience symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia which has dangerous levels of high blood pressure and possibly lead to stroke or death. That is one word an employer does not want to hear or read.

Why are you on the 3rd floor? What happens if lightning strikes your building and the power is knocked out? How do you get out? Why not 1st floor, first room near the entrance/exist for easy ingress and egress? These are safety concerns and all reasonable accommodations. Depending on your building's setup a parking spot right outside the entrance/exit doors. Do you have power doors? This is a reasonable accommodation. You need not be Superman at your place of employment. You are there and hired to do a specific job function.

Several years ago in August the power grid in the north eastern United States and south eastern Canada was knocked out and we had no power. I was able to leave my office and building safely. Safety should be a number one concern.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-19-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar

It's been my experience that a lot of people don't bother to read signs. They usually don't even bother to look at pictures, even if they're 'cute'. There's a lot of people that tend to really inconsiderate these days.

So I'm just curious...
    rest room?
    I do. And I can't do a 180 degree transfer.

WolfeMan, I know what you mean!

I’d grabbed the door handle and shake it a couple of times and the person inside would get the hint. Sometimes I’d wait outside the stall waiting for them to get out to see who was abusing it.
    I guess I'm conflicted about this. How would I feel if I were using the restroom, and somebody was outside jiggling the handle and saying, "How long are you going to be?" What if the person who is using the stall is a disabled person who needs more time and more stability? Not everyone who uses the wide stall is abusing it.