Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hair (etc.) in casters

I'd like to try the yellow covers on these Schmicking casters (shown on the lower left of the first photo), but I can't find anything on the Schmickingwebsite. I'd like to see if I can fit them on FrogLegs Epic Soft Roll casters (2nd photo). Anyone know if they would fit and if they can be ordered separately?

Name:  Schmicking Casters.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  FrogLegs EPIC Aluminum Wide Softroll Caster 5 x 1.4.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by elarson; 07-25-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Fixed Schmicking link
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

^^ Me too.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

elarson,
    If you can't get those covers I will get some of the quarter "toy dispensers" that pattherat used for his fix for you and send them to you. Just PM me and let me know if you would like to take me up on this offer.
    Your Dutch friend in the US.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

That is really sweet of you Curvy. I've never seen those "toy dispensers" here in Holland, but possibly that's because I don't have kids or get out much. I think I'll try to contact Schmicking, who are just the next country over, and see if they don't laugh in my face for wanting to buy only the covers for Frog Legs casters. I wish we could get their casters, but they are bit too rich for us.

What I did find interesting is that I have not cleaned out the hair from the casters in a couple of weeks, but the last time I did, I sprayed the crap out of the axles, bearings and spacers with silicone spray. I did that because I did not have time to fix a broken seal on one of the bearings. What I noticed is that they picked up as much hair as ever, but it was super easy to get off because it did not twist so tightly around the spacers. Until I find the "ultimate" solution, I'm going to keep doing this, because it is easy, and I don't see where it can cause any harm.

While I was replacing the ball bearings, I started thinking more about things we might have on hand that would work with Pattherat's "toy dispenser" idea (yes, I lead an exciting life!). I went to check lotion, deodorant, toothpaste caps etc. but they were all too high or not the right diameter. While I was going through the cabinets, I got thirsty -- it's Friday night here. That got me to thinking about things we do have enough of, wine and beer caps, and I just thought you might all like to see my failed attempts.

Name:  2014 07 26_3835.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  164.4 KBName:  2014 07 26_3841.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  227.6 KBName:  2014 07 26_3845.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  183.6 KBName:  2014 07 26_3846.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  531.8 KB

Basically, what I learned is that the material needs to fit perfectly in depth or be a bit flexible like Pattherat's. I think he is absolutely right about this not being rocket science, and manufacturer's need to fix this simple yet time consuming problem. As Pat mentioned, these "dust covers", "dust caps" or "hub guards" are standard in the BMX world.

What I notice is that they are all cone shaped, the same as the Schmicking, which must be the trick to keeping the hair from twisting around and around. Why not just make the spacers cone shaped, and the problem is solved!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

which one to choose for 5x1.4" caster?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

We have a ZRA2 with a standard fork and 5″ x 1.4″ Frog Leg Epic Soft Roll Casters. I think our forks is AS110686-ZZRA2 STD FORK ASY,RT-BLK. This is what the parts store lists as the dimensions for the spacer: CP103945 SPACER .316"ID X .438"OD X .364" LONG.

I noticed that the TiLite Slipstream Single-Sided Fork has a Caster Cap. I think it is AS110893-ZZR2 MONOFORK 1.5″ CSTR,R,BLACK. It does not give the dimensions, but I wonder if something like this would work also. This is link in the TiLite Parts store: CP104370 SINGLE SIDE CASTER ENDCAP-BLACK.

The screws are different, with the standard fork taking HD100331 10-32 THREAD X 3/8″ LONG PAN HEAD PHILLIPS,BLACK ZINC, and the slipstream taking HD10033910-32 THREAD X 5/8″ LONG FLAT HEAD CAP SCREW, BLACK ZINC. I would prefer a flat head hex screw if it is possible that it would fit, because my husband has pretty much flattened and stripped the heads from the Phillips (cross head) screws.

TiLite Standard Fork Spacer
    TiLite Standard Fork Spacer Screw
    Slipstream Single-Sided Fork Caster Cap
    Slipstream Single-Sided Fork Screw

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    which one to choose for 5x1.4" caster?
    Last edited by elarson; 07-26-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

Blog Entries
    I switched to FL Unitines and 5x1.4" FL casters 4 years ago, and it has solved my hair problems. I cleaned them about a month ago, and although there is a bunch of crud and dust, almost no hair. When I do pick some up, it is a three minute job to pull out the allen bolt (right photo), clean it up and put it back on - for both wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thanks Chas.

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out if any of the dimensions might work based on our fork spacer size: ID .316" (8.026 mm) X OD .438" (11.125mm) X Depth .364" (9.245mm).

I would think that the ID and Depth are the most important, as long as it's not bigger than the bearing. The outer diameter of the 608 bearings are 22mm (around SAE 7/8" / 0.875").

I really wish the world would just settle on metric and be done with fractional and decimal inches. It drives me crazy, especially when they are intermixed.

I also have seen some "tapered spacers" which are even closer to the Schmickings, but again, I've had a hard time figuring out dimensions.

If anyone figures out something that works, or that might work, please post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you are trying to achieve with the different spacers. Nevertheless….

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post

I would think that the ID and Depth are the most important, as long as it's not bigger than the bearing. The outer diameter of the 608 bearings are 22mm (around SAE 7/8" / 0.875").
    The OD of the spacer is critical in that it cannot contact the outer race or the shield (if applicable). The purpose of the spacer is to create a gap between the fork tine(s) and the rotating portion of the wheel/bearing assembly. The inner race is held stationary by compression on the spacer(s) from the axle bolt. The outer race rotates around the inner race by rolling on the ball bearings. The wheel rotates with the outer race via the press-fit outer contact rim. The tire, wheel, outer bearing race, and the bearing seal/shield all must be free to pivot around the inner race,axle, spacer(s), and tine(s), which are stationary. The size of the lip on the bearing races will vary with the manufacturer, as will the outer shoulder of the shields. But I would estimate the maximum OD for a spacer would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15mm. If the objective is to minimize the hair entanglement, I would think the OD of the spacer should be matched to the OD of the lip on the inner race. They are both stationary. Otherwise, you have created a very narrow gap between the fixed spacer and the rotating seal/shield into which hair could become tightly wound.