Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hair (etc.) in casters

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Great stuff guys. Thanks for the pictures. . . . Again, excellent ideas!
    - x2 -
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

- x3 - Been trying to find stuff in the shed this weekend, but it's a total mess. I know we must have something that will work.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm reviving this thread, because it seems to be the bane of my existence, to get rid of hair in the casters. We have a lot of long haired humans around (including me) and pets, and it's a monthly chore I would prefer not to have.

I have not tried Pat's idea yet, because I still have not found anything suitable. Instead I have been doing what I mentioned earlier in this thread, which is to use our Cr?me br?l?e torch to burn it out. Afterwards I spray it with WD-40 to remove residue. Overall it works well but I'm concerned if I am causing damage to the casters or bearings (FrogLegs EPIC Aluminum Wide Softroll Casters).

Any input?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I still fight the fight as well. Fortunately I have my dad to clean them out every so often, many times needing to clean out the bearings and re-lubing. I have tried dangling zip ties from the spacers, I still do it. At one time I thought it helped prolong the process, but I am not so sure these days.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

E, some bearings have plastic races. If you haven't damaged them by now, I doubt you will; the caster's aluminum is probably a good heat sync. Actually I think using a gentle torch is an inspired idea.

note: Having all hard floors (i.e., no carpets) and no pets anymore, my casters stay pretty clean for a long time.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-06-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm still fighting the caster hair battle. I did two chairs tonight, which took me about an hour. On the one chair, I had only done it 3 weeks earlier, and it was already a major hairball mess.

I'm still having the most success with the creme brule torch and needle nose pliers. I'm trying an experiment and have wrapped an elastic cord around the spacers. I'll let you know how it goes....

I'm a bit angry that someone, against my strict statement not to, tried to do it with a screw driver, and messed up the seal on one of the bearings. It looks like it's time for me to dive into the world of replacing bearings. I'm so grateful for this thread and the video that Toto made about how to do it: Ceramic bearings.
    Last edited by elarson; 05-11-2014 at 06:35 PM.

I just unbend a paper clip and use that to hook the hair and icky stuff that winds itself around my casters. I can then grab it and pull it the rest of the way out.

Haven't read the whole thread, but since my long hair is responsible for mucking up my Dad's casters, I do most of the cleaning.

I use a narrow ?utility knife/holder with a thin pointed blade on top. Something like this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cutt...ml%3B600%3B600

I try not to damage the metal, but I likely do. Then I use a forceps/tweezers to remove the cut hair. It doesn't take me very long and I don't do it often (months between cleanings). We keep the floors in his house (hardwood) pretty clean, so that may help. No pets.

Fortunately my dad is willing to pull my casters about once a month and clean the hair out for me. He has done it enough that it doesn't take that long. In fact, if we find the bearings are drying out, where the caters are not spinning as they should, he pops the seal off, sprays them clean with something like WD-40, then blows them dry with an air compressor, and then we re-lube them; the process doesn't take that long.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Because I am an obsitnate person, probably having to do with coming from Chicago and living in Holland, I had to try one more time to figure out how to keep hair out of casters. What I found out is that the elastic cords I tried earlier, definitely worked. I took them off, and all of the hair went with them. That is is not a long term solution, because it was difficult to get them on and off.

I bought some cable ties from an office supply store. I cut them in half horizontally and twisted them so the Velcro would stick. They appear like they will work. Unfortunately, this picture only shows our bad seal on the bearings, but I think you will get the idea of what I am talking about. I am hoping that this is a solution that I can keep up realistically every month