Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hair (etc.) in casters

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks Katja. I had read that unitine's are better for hair, but forgot about that after we gave up on the Frog legs supspension forks. Do you still get hair on the inside prong? On a scale of 0-5, how much easier would you say they are than standard 2 prong forks with getting hair out (5=easiest)?

These may need to go on the wish list soon, because our house is very tidy, but not always so well vacuumed.
    I used to need to take hair out of my son's TiLite forks every couple of months, due to having one Maremma and two cats. In nine months of Icon use, I've not had to clean them once. I've just looked at the Icon set-up and realise that there is a nut between the fork and the bearing, rather than the usual cylindrical spacer. I don't know whether that is the cause of the "cleanliness", or whether it's because the Icon casters themselves seem to pick up less hair than the casters that we had on the TiLite (we had "light-up" rollerblade wheels on the TiLite, which have a more rubbery feel than the Icon casters...so the rubber would tend to pick up more hair I would guess, which can then fall into the axle/bearings).

So it may not be quite as simple as just comparing standard forks with single sided ones. Factors such as caster diameter, width, material etc may also contribute. Why is it never simple?!?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I used to need to take hair out of my son's TiLite forks every couple of months, due to having one Maremma and two cats. In nine months of Icon use, I've not had to clean them once. I've just looked at the Icon set-up and realise that there is a nut between the fork and the bearing, rather than the usual cylindrical spacer. I don't know whether that is the cause of the "cleanliness", or whether it's because the Icon casters themselves seem to pick up less hair than the casters that we had on the TiLite (we had "light-up" rollerblade wheels on the TiLite, which have a more rubbery feel than the Icon casters...so the rubber would tend to pick up more hair I would guess, which can then fall into the axle/bearings).

So it may not be quite as simple as just comparing standard forks with single sided ones. Factors such as caster diameter, width, material etc may also contribute. Why is it never simple?!?
    All good points - I'm only talking about the effort to disassemble/reassemble the casters assuming you've decided to clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    All good points - I'm only talking about the effort to disassemble/reassemble the casters assuming you've decided to clean them.
    And I think we're both in total agreement that the "fork" system is better!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I'm not too great at taking things apart and putting them back together so I just use needle nose pliers.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I've just looked at the Icon set-up and realise that there is a nut between the fork and the bearing, rather than the usual cylindrical spacer.
    If you are able to post a picture I would like to see this. This has me thinking about something that will fit over my spacer to possibly keep the hair from accumulating around the spacer.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I was at work and my boss grabbed a piece of dental floss out of my wheel the other day. I said "that's kind of embarrassing but at least you know I floss." He just laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    If you are able to post a picture I would like to see this. This has me thinking about something that will fit over my spacer to possibly keep the hair from accumulating around the spacer.

I'd buy those!
    I once spotted a fellow wheeler who had a short leather strap around each REAR wheel hub to keep it clean. As he rolled the strap slid around.... it would be nice to have 4 mini cleaners for my forked front wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post

I'd buy those!
    I once spotted a fellow wheeler who had a short leather strap around each REAR wheel hub to keep it clean. As he rolled the strap slid around.... it would be nice to have 4 mini cleaners for my forked front wheels.
    Reminds me of the reflectors they used to hang from hubs on bicycles years ago; the weight of the reflector kept it hanging down and the strap just slid on the hub...hummmm (Although these spaces don't spin.)
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I found out the hard way if you don't clean them, the hair and carpet fibers can work their way past the seals into the bearings. Since I divorced my wife and her nine cats and two dogs, no need to clean as often.

This has been a huge monthly pain in the ass for me. Not only does it affect our mobility it's also not an easy thing to do with the two end spacers, and the spacer in between the bearings that s hard to line up, the lock-tight etc.... It sucks especially if you are a quad and it's so unnecessary. I just had a discussion with the president of froglegs inc about this a week ago at the abilities expo. He didn't seem to think it was an issue and has no plans to address it. Maybe not enough people have this problem or don't complain to the manufacturers about it. I showed him my $1 solution to the problem which he said was "interesting". Who knows maybe it got him thinking. If you google image "bmx front hub", you'll see that most if not all of them have a bearing "dust cover" that I think would solve this problem but none of the wheelchair manufactures incorporate them into their hubs except that new castor by shmicking that TotoL1 posted a few months back: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=144483. They are more expensive than froglegs softrolls but the savings on bearings and the time cleaning or changing them out would make them well worth it. I almost pulled the trigger and ordered a set last month but decided to try out this idea for a solution that has been kicking around in my head for a quite some time. So far it's been working like charm for over a month now, no hair in my free spinning bearings.

I'll take some pics and post my $1 DIY solution soon...