Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hair (etc.) in casters

Dont forget the Easter grass! I've been digging hair and other crap out of casters for 26 years.

I don't have to remove the caster type that's on mine. I carry a multi-tool. The pliers part can grab the hair and rip it out. It all comes out easily that way.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    I don't have to remove the caster type that's on mine. I carry a multi-tool. The pliers part can grab the hair and rip it out. It all comes out easily that way.
    In have done simliar things as this in the past on occaision, but what I had the other day, on this chair, had a far greater affect on my chairs performance than in the past.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    In have done simliar things as this in the past on occaision, but what I had the other day, on this chair, had a far greater affect on my chairs performance than in the past.
    and don't forget a little 3-in-1 oil, or other lubricating oil
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I have to remove dog fur from a golden retriever and my own hair that has fallen on the floor out of my wheels every so often. I usually grab the hair with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. I have unitine forks on my new chair, so hopefully, the hair won't get so wrapped up.

We have 2 long haired people and 5 pets in our house who shed a lot of hair. I really don't want to take the casters off all the time, because the screws are already weakened from swapping them out.

On an old Quickie I use to burn it out. I've been reluctant to do this on our TiLite's with Epic Aluminium casters. Is it really safe to do without melting something?

I was wondering if anyone has tried a chemical hair remover (depilatory) like Nair, Magic Shave or Veet? The active ingredients are calcium thioglycolate or potassium thioglycolate), but I have no idea how they would react to aluminium. Anyone try it?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I wound up with Frog Legs unitine forks by accident (after resisting them mightily) and WOW it's easy to get the hair out of them!

This is a never ending annoying battle, where I can go maybe two months and my bearings start to seize up because the hair on the shaft gets pulled into the bearings and hair soaks up oil.

I just installed the Bones Swiss L2 bearings that they recently came out with. These bearings have two, hence the L2, labyrinth sheilds instead of just one per side and the shields are seated; I am hoping these last longer before needing cleaned.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks Katja. I had read that unitine's are better for hair, but forgot about that after we gave up on the Frog legs supspension forks. Do you still get hair on the inside prong? On a scale of 0-5, how much easier would you say they are than standard 2 prong forks with getting hair out (5=easiest)?

These may need to go on the wish list soon, because our house is very tidy, but not always so well vacuumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I wound up with Frog Legs unitine forks by accident (after resisting them mightily) and WOW it's easy to get the hair out of them!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks Katja. I had read that unitine's are better for hair, but forgot about that after we gave up on the Frog legs supspension forks. Do you still get hair on the inside prong? On a scale of 0-5, how much easier would you say they are than standard 2 prong forks with getting hair out (5=easiest)?

These may need to go on the wish list soon, because our house is very tidy, but not always so well vacuumed.
    Seriously, a million times easier. I did it once while stopped at a red light. Unscrew 1 thingie, pull the caster off its fixed axle, remove the hair, put the caster on again (no trying to line up 2 axle holes, 2 skinny washers, and a bearing that's trying to go up and down), and screw it down again.

If you get hair on the inside prong, you do have to use 2 allen keys to get the axle nut off, but it's still pretty easy. Not having to line all that stuff up makes all the difference.

And on a pedantic note: if there's only one, how come they are still called forks? Makes no sense.