Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA bans use of gas chambers to euthanize pets

GA bans use of gas chambers to euthanize pets

I guess this shows how out of touch I really am. I had no idea that gas chambers were still used anywhere to euthanize animals until someone sent me this link in an email.

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/ga...rs/article/695

Of course, this would not even be an issue if all pets were spayed and neutered.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Quote Originally Posted by WM View Post
    I guess this shows how out of touch I really am. I had no idea that gas chambers were still used anywhere to euthanize animals until someone sent me this link in an email.

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/ga...rs/article/695

Of course, this would not even be an issue if all pets were spayed and neutered.
    Spayed, neutered and properly trained.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by macska View Post
    Spayed, neutered and properly trained.
    Good point! And owners be properly trained too. Like "The Dog Whisperer" says---"I rehabilitate dogs. I train people."
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Good for GA!

Good point! And owners be properly trained too. Like "The Dog Whisperer" says---"I rehabilitate dogs. I train people."
    Love Cesar Millan. He is the shit!

OMG! Neither did I. They're using Nazi methods to kill animals? What the hell kind of bullshit is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    OMG! Neither did I. They're using Nazi methods to kill animals? What the hell kind of bullshit is that?
    I know, gas chambers should be reserved for serial killers, child molester. Not some sweet furry friends.

There's a town w/ an army base in New Mexico, Clovis, that used this method. It was just recently banned. Soldiers come in, get a dog, get shipped out, leave the dog behind. They have no sort of pet shelter, just kill 'em weekly. Don't even feed and water the poor things!

That's why when you see photos of me visiting my friend in NM, we're always buried in dogs. Santa Fe fosters tons of those Clovis dogs. The same people pushed for the ban on gassing.

"It’s been a month since the transition and Clovis’ animal control began complying with a state mandate to change its method of euthanizing animals....

“Its been a difficult transition, this is a hands-on process ... it wasn’t an easy transition for them. The gas chamber, you just walk them in and close the door. Now, they’ve actually got a hands-on technique where you have to handle (the animals) and apply the medication,” Sanders said.

“(Shelter staff) went and received the training and we’re accomplishing the task. It’s been a learning experience for all of us and we’re getting through this. These are dedicated professionals that stepped up to the plate and we’re making it happen.”

The new law was the result of lobbying by animal welfare groups who argued the gas chamber was inhumane.

Clovis in particular came under fire for resisting the change.

The city commission voted against changing to lethal injection. But the Legislature made it law...."

http://www.cnjonline.com/articles/an...sia-limbo.html

terrible beth. why get an animal if you do not intend to keep it for life?
    Microchipping may also prevent pets from being euthanised. fewer would wind up in shelters. it is not expensive to do ether.

I am from Florence, SC and they still use a gas chamber at the county pound. Most people don't even know that the pound exists, so when they lose a pet, they never know to go look out there. I don't even want to think about how many people's pets have been gassed at the county pound because no one knew that the place was even there. They gas everything they have every Friday morning. That way no one has to work on the weekends.

We have an animal shelter that most everyone in Florence knows about. They are still behind the times though because most of the time they adopt out unaltered animals. Instead, they give a coupon for $25 off a spay/neuter. Big whoop. They are starting to get get better with spaying/neutering adult dogs/cats, but we still have a long way to go.