Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use Magnesium Supplements for Constipation?

Anyone Use Magnesium Supplements for Constipation?

I drink at least a gallon of water and get at least 25 g of fiber a day, take stool softeners, use flax meal and eat Activia -- a BP that worked GREAT until I started taking Zanaflex.

The drug has done wonders for the myoclonic spasms in my arm but the constipation it causes is killing me.

I'm wondering if taking a magnesium supplement every day would help with relief. I could use some guidance as to if it really works and if so, how much to take, how fast it works -- all of the little details that you wish someone told you before you tried it.

Can anyone help?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Hi Hipcrip, I started my son on Magnesium 500 mg. - one per day. Someone else on CC told me about them. I think it may be helping. He's doing alot better. I will say this: we took him off all of the fiber, benefiber, metamucil, psyllium husk, etc. and he is doing sooo much better! Even though he was drinking tons of water, the fiber was having the opposite affect on him. Now he takes his stool softners, senna tablets, and 1-2 oranges every nite and he has been doing pretty good. Still has some bad days, but most days are right-on. Hope this helps!

A little Milk of Magnesia (M.O.M.) is very gentle and can really help. A mixture they use at Michigan State Physiatry program works well (nicknamed Grady's sauce)...
    1/3 apple sauce
    1/3 prune juice
    1/3 fiber of your choice (ie metamucil)
    The paralyzed veterans association website also has a great hand out on bowel programs
    Good luck,
    Brad Marcus
    www.MRKLab.com

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I'm wondering if taking a magnesium supplement every day would help with relief. I could use some guidance as to if it really works and if so, how much to take, how fast it works -- all of the little details that you wish someone told you before you tried it.

Can anyone help?
    My C-6 son takes 2 capsules of 130 mg magnesium citrate per day along with 2 capsules of fiber and a stool softener every day for the last 4 years. No problems what so ever. He eats a large variety of all types of foods. BP every other day, no digi stim, and 45 minutes of gravity time.

I drink at least a gallon of water and get at least 25 g of fiber a day, take stool softeners, use flax meal and eat Activia -- a BP that worked GREAT until I started taking Zanaflex.

The drug has done wonders for the myoclonic spasms in my arm but the constipation it causes is killing me.

Can anyone help?
    Mombo it was probably me. I've been posting for awhile how much it's helped me. I'm a vitamin nut. So I read & watch everything I can about them.
    Was watching Doctor to Doctor on TV one day & they explained how good magnesium is for you for many reasons. Helps you sleep, helps your body absorb calcium, and helps constipation. Also how to take it.
    Magnesium will definately soften the stool. It should be taken with calcium. It helps you absorb the calcium and keeps the calcium from constipating you. You also should take Vit. D with the calcium, & magnesium.

Anyway if you want to take magnesium to soften your stool start out with 200 mg. twice a day, breakfast & supper. It effects people different. That may be all you need. If not go up a little at a time. 250 mg x 2 So on.
    I take it with meals. I've taken it late w/o food & right in the middle of my firm stool there was some diahrrea. Then it went back to firm. I guessed that was the magnesium w/o food. I don't eat a lot of beef. So if you did you might need more. Like if you were sick & didn't eat anything but soup one day. I wouldn't take the magnesium.
    I am drinking psyllium now too 3 times a day. But that's for bulk because I don't eat enough to push the stool out.
    Between the 2 my bowels are really doing great.
    I don't take stool softeners. Nothing else for my bowels except magnesium & psyllium.

Also helps in lowering blood pressure.

It works with the next bm. It doesn't build up to work. It's not a laxative. It will soften what you're eating when you take it.

Grady's sauce sounds like what we used in the nursing home. I think most of the inactive elderly residents of a Nursing facility get such a regimen.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Mombo -- I'm going to take a fiber break, too, because I'm concerned like you that even with the large volume of water I'm consuming, it's just not enough to keep the flax from hardening things up instead of softening.

PMR DOC -- I'm familiar with MOM but am concerned about using it too often. Is the overuse of MOM or Miralax a potential problem? And on a personal note, are/were you based at Michigan State?

Mona -- thanks for the detailed information! I really appreciate you sharing what works for you. I may give this a try, even though I'm terrified of ending up too loose instead of too hard.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Mombo -- I'm going to take a fiber break, too, because I'm concerned like you that even with the large volume of water I'm consuming, it's just not enough to keep the flax from hardening things up instead of softening.

PMR DOC -- I'm familiar with MOM but am concerned about using it too often. Is the overuse of MOM or Miralax a potential problem? And on a personal note, are/were you based at Michigan State?

Mona -- thanks for the detailed information! I really appreciate you sharing what works for you. I may give this a try, even though I'm terrified of ending up too loose instead of too hard.
    y/w thc. good luck Mona

I take one 100mg of Perque brand Mag Plus Guard with every meal. My life was miserable before I started taking this supplement. I tried all kinds of fiber and they just shut down my system. If I took psylium I would get chills and feel awful. A MD who practices homeopathy suggested this supplement. I sleep better, have less spasms and have regular bowel movements. I would recommend it to anyone.
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

The Dude

I did an elective rotation in an inpatient rehab unit at Michigan State. Way too cold for me. Nice people though.