Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Parking Woes

Parking Woes

...just wondering how others handle situations like this.

||
    ||
    ||
    \/

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

When the "hash marks" are that narrow I have been known to park on the diagnal to keep someone away from my door. It is a continuous source of frustration though.

We saw a van outside of a restaurant that that had large lettering in the ramp side window that said " keep back 8 feet ramp..." Can't remember exactly the wording.
    Later I wished I had gone inside and asked them if it really worked or not. I suppose it might have been rude, but I never mind if people ask us questions.
    I have had to have some pretty creative parking and still end up having to back out to load Dave. I never knew before joining this club that any handicap spot would not work.

I think if most people understood what those "lines" are for, they would be much more considerate. Educating them is the key. Before my son was injured, I had no idea what those lines were used for. Maybe instead of "lines" there should be a message printed on the pavement such as: "DO NOT BLOCK RAMP AREA" you know, like when it says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" in huge print???

Mombo's idea is an excellent one. Few people understand what that area is for - if it's thought of at all, it's thought of as a convenience rather than a necessity.
    But in that picture, even if the other car was legally parked there wouldn't be room to get on or off the ramp. Of course, if one tried, that car just might end up with a few scrapes and dents...

Depends on how tired I was. I might just spend 15 - 20 minutes trying to scrape my chair around and up the ramp.
    (about to buy a new chair)

scrape your chair? what about scraping the guys pretty truck...

or if your feeling really nice go back in the store with his plate number and have him paged.

Or call a friend with a bigger truck and tow him away, and leave a note with suggestions for a good transmission repair facility.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    scrape your chair? what about scraping the guys pretty truck...

or if your feeling really nice go back in the store with his plate number and have him paged.

Or call a friend with a bigger truck and tow him away, and leave a note with suggestions for a good transmission repair facility.

All great ideas, my favorite would be to kiss the truck with my chair.

I had it happen to me once when I was out by myself, I call the Fire Department and they were happy to help. They moved my van so I could get in. Most malls have security or police on call that could also help.
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We saw a van outside of a restaurant that that had large lettering in the ramp side window that said " keep back 8 feet ramp..." Can't remember exactly the wording.
    Later I wished I had gone inside and asked them if it really worked or not. I suppose it might have been rude, but I never mind if people ask us questions.
    I have had to have some pretty creative parking and still end up having to back out to load Dave. I never knew before joining this club that any handicap spot would not work.
    I have a bumper sticker sized sign on the ramp side that says "Please allow 8 ft. for wheelchair loading." Nothing. No one sees it or pays any attention to it at all. Rather than be blocked in I just park at an angle and take up some of the yellow lines myself, preventing someone else from doing so.
    Last edited by Eileen; 03-17-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

I love it when people actually park in the hashed lines because they don't want to break the law and risk a fine by parking in handicap parking.