Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Parking Woes

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT
    Since my husband was in the hospital and badly needed that piece of equipment-which I had to have a spot big enough to lower the ramp to unload-that was the reason that I felt it was ok to break the law. It was not going to wheel up to his room on it's own.
    It was not for my own personal convenience. It was his van bringing his equipment to him.
    What would have you done?
    Good nite.
    One of the things I've already mentioned:

1. brought someone along to guard it while I parked legally
    2. brought someone along to help me carry it from a legal space
    3. brought a cart/dolly to carry it by myself
    4. arranged for someone to come outside and accept it at the door while I went and parked legally.

If he's not getting in or out of the van then this IS for your convenience. Don't try to dress it up otherwise. Those are your excuses.

It is NEVER ok to use a H/C spot for any reason other than getting the person with the placard in or out of the vehicle. PERIOD.

All that said, I understand that it's hard to be a caregiver (until recently I cared for my brain-injured, blind SO as well as my own SCI) and there are times when you are so tired and spent that you feel that if you don't cut corners you'll just scream. After all , everyone else does and who could it hurt? Please remember, that the person who is illegally blocking the space that your husband needs may have all the same rationalizations that you've made here.

You cannot ever allow it to be ok or it's ok for anyone to make a personal exception for their own circumstance and then people like your husband, or me, or many of the others here are screwed. We legal users above all others must be scrupulously lawful in our use of these precious spaces or we have no moral leg to stand on when educating others.
    Last edited by JenJen; 03-19-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Someone gave this to me years ago. I tried to clean it up a little to make it somewhat readable. (I hope!!)

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...gvioLATION.jpg

Did that picture show up?

Parking violation message

http://www.apparelyzed.com/parking/P...-VIOLATION.pdf

Like this one. A while back I bought a pack of stickers that had a note that said "I had no respect for the handicap I parked in thier space". I would wet one and cover thier rear license plate (incase a cop got behind them and would pull them over for a covered plate) and I would stick one right in the middle of the view area of their windshield. They were heck to remove once dried, just a little reminder of their lack of respect for us. Have not seen them since but maybe someone could get creative.

I place a super sticky bumper sticker on their door that says "PARK BETWEEN THE LINES, ASSHOLE!"

No, I don't really do that. I just curse a bunch and then flag some person to give me a hand and pull me onto the lift - or just wait for the other driver to leave.

When I see the striping is narrow, I park with my tires on the edge of the opposite line to give as much room as possible in case someone does what that pic indicates.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

One other pet peeve of mine, is when handicapped people park in HC spaces, when there is a normal space free and open, RIGHT NEXT to the HC space.

And I'm talking about people who do not need extra space around their car, they have a bad knee say.

They could have parked 6 ft further away, but they park in the middle of a HC space lavishly surrounded in hatched box area, when they don't need it. the HC van that does need that extra area is then deprived of the space.

I agree its harder to get upset about HC card users using HC spaces.....but a little thought might see them use the regular spaces that are almost as close, if they are free.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    One of the things I've already mentioned:

1. brought someone along to guard it while I parked legally
    2. brought someone along to help me carry it from a legal space
    3. brought a cart/dolly to carry it by myself
    4. arranged for someone to come outside and accept it at the door while I went and parked legally.
    If he's not getting in or out of the van then this IS for your convenience. Don't try to dress it up otherwise. Those are your excuses.

It is NEVER ok to use a H/C spot for any reason other than getting the person with the placard in or out of the vehicle. PERIOD.

All that said, I understand that it's hard to be a caregiver (until recently I cared for my brain-injured, blind SO as well as my own SCI) and there are times when you are so tired and spent that you feel that if you don't cut corners you'll just scream. After all , everyone else does and who could it hurt? Please remember, that the person who is illegally blocking the space that your husband needs may have all the same rationalizations that you've made here.

You cannot ever allow it to be ok or it's ok for anyone to make a personal exception for their own circumstance and then people like your husband, or me, or many of the others here are screwed. We legal users above all others must be scrupulously lawful in our use of these precious spaces or we have no moral leg to stand on when educating others.
    Good Morning.
    Numbers 1-4 were not an option for reasons that are too long to get into here.
    repeat-not an option. It is just the 2 of us most of the time.It was late in the day when I was even able to find someone who would shower him as they were afraid of trachea and level of quad. This was a nightmare hospital stay as it was-I don't you don't care about the details, but take my word. I was desperate to get that shower chair to him. Getting bed baths after only being able to shit in your bed a few weeks is pretty miserable.
    The chair has to be taken out of the van just like the power chair-through the ramp which needs a wide parking spot.
    People like my husband were "screwed" at the time, trust me. I had to fight just to get him home from that stay as all they wanted to do was put him in a nursing home and would not even address him as a human because he was not talking.
    Sometimes we caregivers just do the best we can for those who love and that is what I did. I am not a terrible person.
    It is pretty depressing right now that you can not understand why I needed to make that exception.
    I don't consider this an excuse,iconsider it a reason.
    Sorry I even brought it up as discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by teena View Post
    I do not want to hijack this thread or cause WWIII, but just a gentle reminder that not all handicaps are visible. One of those boys may have had a serious health condition that made that tag as legal as anyone else's. Only those boys and God and the Dr. know for sure...

If they were parking there for an illegal reason, then yes, they were wrong.

But what if the tag belonged to their Mom or Grandma and they were simply parking there to pick her up from the mall? Maybe SHE was in a wheelchair, or maybe she had a lung condition or heart condition in which she could not walk far and had to rent a wheelchair in the mall...

Who knows?

But I know this is a very touchy subject with everyone, but please please don't snap judge. (and remember, I said I was just saying all this gently...)

I have a birth defect of hip/arthritis...and I DO have a h/c tag. And once at the mall, a man and woman said rather loudly as I walked by...those spaces are RESERVED for people who are handicapped!!! I said just as loudly...well, some handicaps can't be SEEN.

Have a great rest of the week!!!

Teena
    Sorry Tena, there wasn't a damn thing wrong with either one of them. There was a world of difference between these two perfectly healthy teens, and you with a bad hip and arthritis. They had no hidden anything. They were wrong, I knew it, they knew it.

And, the car was a 2seater beater, grandma was not getting into it.

I carry around a pack of these; they are not stickers, just notes. I got them from the Governor's Office of Texas. Sadly, I got the very last few packs, no funding left to get more printed they said.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Hey, LindaT, I'm afraid you're not gonna "win" this argument. I personally have no opinion about that situation, but obviously JenJen does, as do you. Maybe you two could agree to disagree? That way, it could be 'dropped' with no further hard feelings. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    Hey, LindaT, I'm afraid you're not gonna "win" this argument. I personally have no opinion about that situation, but obviously JenJen does, as do you. Maybe you two could agree to disagree? That way, it could be 'dropped' with no further hard feelings. Just my opinion.
    I think that is a great idea Coleen. I feel bad enough.