Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

My veggie garden is on the south side of my house and it does fine as long as it gets plenty of water. I know i'm farther north than you are Mona, but you might still give it a try. My Aunt loved her "topsy turvey (sp???) thing last year so my mom bought some to try out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Oh yeah, oops, I forgot about Texas. Hmm - wonder if you could rig some sort of filtered shade for them.

There might be a few walnuts, I haven't dedicatedly looked for them. But I have a ton of oak trees - so lots and lots of squirrels. Hours of entertainment for the doggies

I just was working out there, and realized I told you one thing wrong - I actually had vinyl screen in the bottom of the tomato tubs, not metal. Seemed to work great, pretty much all the dirt stayed in.
    I doubt that. There's no trees out there either.
    I can' put my Ivy's out on the porch.
    They either burn up or get eaten up by something.
    I wish I knew what was chewing on them.

I bet the dogs & the squirrels are fun to watch.

I was reading online & they said to use newspaper to cover the drain holes.

Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal View Post
    My veggie garden is on the south side of my house and it does fine as long as it gets plenty of water. I know i'm farther north than you are Mona, but you might still give it a try. My Aunt loved her "topsy turvey (sp???) thing last year so my mom bought some to try out this year.
    I could try. I do wish I had some shade.
    I was wondering if those things really worked.
    Thanks for letting me know because I could move them out of the evening sun.
    I think I'll try one for cherry tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I doubt that. There's no trees out there either.
    I can' put my Ivy's out on the porch.
    They either burn up or get eaten up by something.
    I wish I knew what was chewing on them.

I bet the dogs & the squirrels are fun to watch.

I was reading online & they said to use newspaper to cover the drain holes.
    I guess newspaper would work. I think it probably drains better with the screens though.

I think veggies might tolerate more hot sun than ivy, but I'm not positive.

The dogs & the squirrels are NOISY to watch - especially if the dogs are inside, and the squirrels are on the other side of the window!

I guess newspaper would work. I think it probably drains better with the screens though.

I think veggies might tolerate more hot sun than ivy, but I'm not positive.

The dogs & the squirrels are NOISY to watch - especially if the dogs are inside, and the squirrels are on the other side of the window!
    Yeah I can see where they would be. lol

I was thinking after the newspaper was wet several times it would start falling apart too. I also think screens would drain better.

Headed to Wally World this evening. I hope to have time for the garden center to look around for ideas.

I just planted some seeds in trays - Cleome and some sort of giant marigolds. Should be interesting to see if I succeed.

I also have some coleus I'm going to try from seed. And my basil (later).

Bought a few colors morning glory seeds to (hopefully) cover the front fence.

I hope you find some fun stuff at Wally World.

I just planted some seeds in trays - Cleome and some sort of giant marigolds. Should be interesting to see if I succeed.

I also have some coleus I'm going to try from seed. And my basil (later).

Bought a few colors morning glory seeds to (hopefully) cover the front fence.

I hope you find some fun stuff at Wally World.
    Wow Tam you're a full time gardener.
    Hope it all does well. Can't wait to see.

All they had was "Uppsy Downsy". lol Crazy
    Tomatoes out of both ends.
    The employee helping me said she had that & nothing grew.
    They all burned up.
    Anyway it was suppose to freeze here in Texas Sat. & Sun night so I didn't want to buy anything else to stay inside. I'm running over in this 1 room now. Hopefully this is our Easter Freeze & next week I'll go to Lowe's & look for tomatoes & herbs.

Have fun. Mona

Well yesterday I was gardening in shorts and a t-shirt. Today I have a blizzard.

I don't get to put out plants until May sometime. So I'm seeing what I can do in the trays. I'm not betting the farm on success here, but giving it a go. I like a bunch of flowers along the back, and it's a big area, so hoping to save some money by growning from seed. Again with the basil, I like a lot of it, se we'll see if the seeds work. Now, to keep the cats out of it... hmmm...

Even up north here, in the containers once the tomatoes get big I have to water them every day, even twice on the really hot days. So I can see how the topsy turvy thing would dry out pretty quick in Texas (it doesn't hold nearly as much dirt).

I really like Lowes - they've been really hepful when I have one of my infernal projects

Well, I'm out pulling weeds 68* and tomorrow rain(the NW is kind) damn, I should have mowed, oh well.

I think I have a while to go before I see 68 - or mowing.

Ugh, that reminds me, I need to see if the tractor starts this year. I sure hope so, they always get me good if they have to take it away and fix it.