Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    What do you use cinnamon basil for?
    I love cinnamon basil, and use it just like regular sweet basil. It even makes great pesto.
    From Wikipedia: Cinnamon basil is a cultivar of Ocimum basilicum (sweet basil). It contains cinnamate, the same chemical that gives cinnamon its flavor, and has the strongest scent of cinnamon. The leaves are small to medium sized. The combination of basil and cinnamon flavors make cinnamon basil popular for use in hot drinks and with fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Have fun Tam. What a lovely garden! Really cute!

I'd love to have a container garde where I could reach in & play in the soil.
    I've had many beautiful gardens before sci.

Where do you get the tables to put the plants in to make them high enough to reach? Can you buy them or have to build them?
    I actually have my tomatoes in containers because of the walnut trees (which are poison to tomatoes).

So those are dirt-filled containers - they're just those 18 gallon tubs. Rubbermaid makes them for example, but those particular ones I just got at K-Mart for $4 each.

I put the lid on the ground (you might not need to, but I'm protecting mine from the "toxic" dirt. It has an added advantage that I have one side of the container propped up on the edge of the lid, so that there's a little gap beneath the container so it will drain well.

I took a 1" drill bit, and drilled 4 holes in the bottom - one near each corner of the container. To keep the dirt from falling out, I put an approx 5" square of metal screen over the holes, then filled it with the dirt. I got the screen for free - if you ask a hardware store that fixes screens for some of the used screen (torn) that someone had replaced, I find they'll just give it to you - it's garbage to them.

For soil, I used equal amounts of topsoil, peat, and composted manure. You could use potting soil instead of my mix (in fact, the recommend against topsoil). But topsoil is cheap, and peat comes in big bales - and I had a load of composted horse manure delivered. My tomatoes loved it.

My back, however, did not especially appreciate shoveling several cubic yards of horse manure lolol.

The only thing though - unless you get dwarf varieties they grow really tall - so it'd be pretty hard to reach them to pick them. Mine actually grew taller than me! There are some that stay smaller though - I grew one called Nyagous - it's a black/purple tomato - absolutely delicious, and he stayed smaller. I'm sure there are others that would "behave".

Here's the tomatoes once they got going:

Good luck!

I'm a long ways from planting most stuff, but this gorgeous weather is letting me do a few things. I'm gonna give starting some seeds a try this year - Cleome flowers need to start now. We'll see.

What varieties of tomatoes are you going to plant?

And I need a nephew! (sore today from shoveling yesterday, and it was minor compared to what's ahead of me lol)
    Thanks! I haven't decided exactly what kind of tomatoes, but I usually get yellow ones along with the red ones. The yellow tomatoes are less acidic and very yummy. I've always preferred yellow watermelons too, but I don't have enough space to grow them myself.

And yes, nephews can come in handy...LOL!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Here's the tomatoes once they got going:
    Do you have problems with squirrels?

Wow! You must put tomatoes up. You can't eat all those.
    I saw those containers on sale at WalMart.
    I'm in a wheelchair,
    so my 1st step is getting something to put the containers in up high.
    I wish I had someone to build something.
    Like my ex but he's remarried & his wife won't let him help me.
    That's another story. lol
    You know like when you go to the store the plants or on a table.
    I have an aide that will help me garden if I could get it going.
    I'm gonna go read up on the internet.

You're doing great. The garden is nice. Wish I had walnut trees.
    I wish alot. lol

The thing is - the tomatoes grow so high. Even my pepper plants got pretty tall. I think if they started out on a table, I wonder if you'd be able to reach anything once they got going. At least with tomatoes. Once they're planted - you pretty much don't have to reach the dirt very much - you need to reach higher to spray them, pick the tomatoes, etc. That's just my thinking anyway - but I'm kinda clueless on doing things from a wheelchair, so maybe I'm wrong.

If you're worried about weeds in the containers, you can put some of that black landscape cloth in the container, and cut an "X" to plant the tomato through. It does a great job of keeping down weeds, and is pretty cheap for the amount you'd need.

I don't know the setup you have - but you could perhaps just put big concrete blocks with wood planks on top to make tables for pots. For the tomatoes though, they'd be heavy, I'd want the concrete blocks pretty close together. Or even skip the plank, and use a couple blocks for each tomato tub.

I hate the stupid walnut trees. They aren't especially pretty, and they poison the garden. It'd have been much easier if the tomatoes didn't have to go in the tubs. I'd wish for a different tree, personally

At the moment, I am trying to trim trees. A crabapple, just for shape (hope I didn't kill it) and an apple tree that is getting too tall and shading my garden. I am not a tree-trimming expert - I hope the trees don't look demented, or die. They have already taken their revenge by scratching the heck out of my arms.

The thing is - the tomatoes grow so high. Even my pepper plants got pretty tall. I think if they started out on a table, I wonder if you'd be able to reach anything once they got going. At least with tomatoes. Once they're planted - you pretty much don't have to reach the dirt very much - you need to reach higher to spray them, pick the tomatoes, etc. That's just my thinking anyway - but I'm kinda clueless on doing things from a wheelchair, so maybe I'm wrong.

If you're worried about weeds in the containers, you can put some of that black landscape cloth in the container, and cut an "X" to plant the tomato through. It does a great job of keeping down weeds, and is pretty cheap for the amount you'd need.

I don't know the setup you have - but you could perhaps just put big concrete blocks with wood planks on top to make tables for pots. For the tomatoes though, they'd be heavy, I'd want the concrete blocks pretty close together. Or even skip the plank, and use a couple blocks for each tomato tub.

I hate the stupid walnut trees. They aren't especially pretty, and they poison the garden. It'd have been much easier if the tomatoes didn't have to go in the tubs. I'd wish for a different tree, personally

At the moment, I am trying to trim trees. A crabapple, just for shape (hope I didn't kill it) and an apple tree that is getting too tall and shading my garden. I am not a tree-trimming expert - I hope the trees don't look demented, or die. They have already taken their revenge by scratching the heck out of my arms.
    I never knew walnut trees poisoned things. Do you eat the walnuts?
    I'm sure your trees will be okay.

Thanks The blocks should work. I don't need that many tomatoes. I'd probably plant cherry tomatoes and one plant would be enough for me.
    My aides will do most of the work, tilling, picking, etc. I just want to be able to look & piddle & do what little I can. If I could keep it light the blocks with a piece of plywood should work.

My other problem is I'd have to have it on the south side of my house.
    That won't work. The north & east or concrete driveway & parking.
    The west is the front of the house. I'm pretty sure my sister doesn't want blocks & plywood table with plants on it in the front.

Maybe I need to do it inside. grrr.

I haven't seen any walnuts to eat. So nah, to me they're nuisances. Lots of plants don't like to grow around walnut trees, interestingly.

Sorry, I got confused - you're saying you can't have it on the south side? They'd love a south side, if you can do it. The more sun they get the better. Or are you saying there isn't somewhere to put it on the south side?

No all I have is the south side.
    Fine for tomatoes but not all veggies need that much sun.
    I need to see what all will grow with full sun in Texas summer.
    Your summers are cooler than ours.

No walnuts. Do you see alot of squirrels?

Oh yeah, oops, I forgot about Texas. Hmm - wonder if you could rig some sort of filtered shade for them.

There might be a few walnuts, I haven't dedicatedly looked for them. But I have a ton of oak trees - so lots and lots of squirrels. Hours of entertainment for the doggies

I just was working out there, and realized I told you one thing wrong - I actually had vinyl screen in the bottom of the tomato tubs, not metal. Seemed to work great, pretty much all the dirt stayed in.