Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Gardening

Today it is really really beautiful out. I cannot believe I was outside in shorts and a t-shirt in mid-March - and I was hot!

We seem to be having an early spring (I have crocus flowering, and the other flowers are starting to put up shoots) so I guess I'll get an early start on the gardening.

I went out to the herb garden (my pride and joy) and was delighted to see a bunch of herbs have come back. The thyme is doing great, oregano, chives, sorrel, and tarragon are all starting. To my amazement, the rosemary survived the winter.

And then there's "Mo". "Mo" is my maniac mint plant, named for Mojitos (his purpose in life as far as I am concerned). As far as he is concerned, his purpose is to take over the earth. Wow that thing can spread. So as he's peeking up - and heading outward. I dug down and put a border around him. I live in hope. Friends have taken sprigs of him as far as Texas, so he's doing pretty well. If anyone needs some Kentucky Colonel Spearmint - just wait a little bit - I'm sure he'll be there soon.

I'm going to put in a crop of sugar snap peas soon - I'm hoping for an early crop this year. I may try some lettuce again, although I never seem to win.

Need to call the local stable, and see if he'll bring me a load of composted manure soon. Everything grew like crazy from that stuff last year - unfortunately including the weeds.

I have walnut trees nearby, so my tomato plants go in containers. But they grew like crazy last year - most heirlooms, but a few old standbys.

I'm going to get some basil seeds, and give that a try. Regular, of course, and I hope to find some of the Purple Ruffles. Anyone know when to start the seeds? How far ahead of the last frost date?

Anyone else like to do veggie gardening? What are you growing this year?

TAM63

You have inspired me, I am going to attempt to plant an herb garden along with some vegetables. I have a small yard so I will plant most in containers which sould make it easier to reach.

Any pictures, any advise...
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

Herbs are really easy to grow. They like lots of sun. As long as they get that, they seem to just go nuts.

We did some for my friend in those long plastic trays - they were quite happy. Little clay pots aren't the best - they don't quite have enough room, and they dry out too fast.

I have mostly the ones I use for cooking (parsely, rosemary, thyme, chives, mint, tarragon) but I throw in a few pretty ones (sorrel, golden sage, even some lavender). You might be interested in nasturtiums - edible flowers and leaves.

http://www.herbalgardens.com/archive...sturtiums.html

A lot of the herbs, at least in the ground, will come back the next year too - many are perennials. Or some people manage bringing the pots inside during the winter.

Here's my herb garden:

Basil really hates cold - so don't put him outside until it's staying pretty warm at night.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Here's my herb garden:
    This looks sooooooooooo cool!!! Last year I grew the basils from the seeds. I usually get nice lush plants.

How long did it take before the basil was ready to transplant? I'm trying to figure out when I should start them.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    How long did it take before the basil was ready to transplant? I'm trying to figure out when I should start them.
    About three weeks. I grow also cinnamon basil. They were nice too.

I'm planning a small vegetable garden this year. My nephew is coming to my house today to help with "handyman stuff." I bought some soil yesterday and I'm gonna have him add it to the box today. I plan to plant some tomatoes, salad greens, cucumbers, and green and red peppers. Please wish me luck! I love fresh veggies.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I will be starting my seeds at the end of this month inside and will hopefully put them in the ground around Memorial Day or the last full moon.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueRU View Post
    About three weeks. I grow also cinnamon basil. They were nice too.
    Thanks! I just bought some seeds - Genovese Basil and Red Rubin. I wanted Purple Ruffles, it's really pretty, but I couldn't find it so Red Rubin will do.

I have Genovese - also had a cheap packet of Sweet Basil, which I'm not sure I will use. I'm trying to figure out the difference (off to research...)

What do you use cinnamon basil for?

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I'm planning a small vegetable garden this year. My nephew is coming to my house today to help with "handyman stuff." I bought some soil yesterday and I'm gonna have him add it to the box today. I plan to plant some tomatoes, salad greens, cucumbers, and green and red peppers. Please wish me luck! I love fresh veggies.
    Good luck!

I'm a long ways from planting most stuff, but this gorgeous weather is letting me do a few things. I'm gonna give starting some seeds a try this year - Cleome flowers need to start now. We'll see.

What varieties of tomatoes are you going to plant?

And I need a nephew! (sore today from shoveling yesterday, and it was minor compared to what's ahead of me lol)

Have fun Tam. What a lovely garden! Really cute!

I'd love to have a container garde where I could reach in & play in the soil.
    I've had many beautiful gardens before sci.

Where do you get the tables to put the plants in to make them high enough to reach? Can you buy them or have to build them?