Thread: Any ERICA users out there?

Banned

Any ERICA users out there?

I'm trying to determine if I simply am experiencing poorly written software or even have a bad system. As ERICA users know Lifemate is their core AAC software. If I stick to the standard text to speech with the eye gaze the system works reasonably well but if I venture on the Web or check POP3 based e-mail from within Lifemate it inevitably crashes. Yes to do those things outside of Lifemate and in the operating system itself works perfectly but the eye gaze works so much better within their software that it almost defeats its purpose to use it any other way than with their software. Any other experiences like this?

I've never used Erica before. Have you considered using something else, like a mouthstick or voice recognition?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Is ERICA separate from the eyegaze Mark uses? I ask because he seems very proficient at it and functions pretty well, at least typing and navigating on this site. Is your set-up similar?

oh, eta: I just remembered, the only other CC member I recall who mentioned using the eye gaze system, other than your nephew Mark, is a guy named "sisyphus", but I haven't seen him post in years, so I don't know if he's even around anymore.
    Last edited by chick; 03-16-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: memory spark

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    I've never used Erica before. Have you considered using something else, like a mouthstick or voice recognition?
    I usually use Dragon, but during an interview making notes I would rather not be thinking out loud.

I did find out that the company that makes Erica has been bought out by DnyaVox, and they will no longer offer maintenance on the product. Something to consider before investing in a used machine.

How many wpm's can you get with EyeGaze/Erica?

Mouthsticks are an effective way to take notes without talking.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brat View Post
    I usually use Dragon, but during an interview making notes I would rather not be thinking out loud....
    The Dragon wouldn't be just distracting, but impractical, if not impossible, during an interview. But it's strange, wouldn't even an eye-gaze be distracting during interviews? Being so time consuming, wouldn't it detract from being fully attentive and engaged during an interview, typing with your eye while others are talking?

I know a guy who is a lawyer and a high quad, who uses a mouthstick, but basically, has an assistant to make notes and write stuff up for him.

ETA- Oh, Steven posted while I was writing. Well, I just know that the Dragon can be very slow, even while simultaneously using the mouse to help navigate the screen! I imagine, just using one's eyes would require so much more time, attention...especially for someone new to it...

dragon can supposedly take speech from a voice recorder and transfer it to text later on. I heard this at one of my IEP meetings...
    I am just a man with a heart and sinful hands.