Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any joy left in life?

Any joy left in life?

I am sooo tired. Seems chronic pain has just stripped any fun and joy in life. Seriously.

Do any of you chronic pain folks have any fun / anything you look forward to?

Can't enjoy food, constantly nauseous or puking from pain, meds only help a bit.

Big on wine but the various meds affect taste.

Can't walk / enjoy photography.

Really getting me down lately with spring coming and no life.
    Last edited by bollefen; 03-16-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Pain and the other SCI problems can certainly diminish the enjoyment of life. The challenge is to find the rays of sunshine that penetrate through the SCI jungle, and to bask in that warmth. This is a highly personal quest, and what works for one person may not work for another. I sometimes have long stretches of time when, no matter how hard I look, that nice, warm, soul restoring sunshine just can't be found. But I've been at this long enough to know that the sun eventually breaks through.

No answers - just want you to know that we all (even AB folk) struggle to find the joy in life. Keep fighting the good fight - life is beautiful - don't ever think you can't share in that beauty. You will find your ways.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

No ideas, just sympathy. Not feeling so much joy myself these days either - illness/pain, even secondhand, makes it difficult to find the good things in life.

Make the most out of the joyful times when they come. Laughing and smiling even if not in the mood to do either can help in the long run. It's been my experience in life that no matter how bad things get, they always get better again. Hopefully the change in weather will bring you peace from a sorrowed soul...something everyone on this planet suffers from at some point(s) in their lives. Keep on getting along, chase negative thoughts out of your head, and try to keep busy. Best of luck to you.

ps. I learned long ago to find a place where I can recharge my spirituality. Find your own special place, a place that brings you peace of mind, and spend time there each day or week. For me, it can be the mountains, the ocean, sunsets and sunrises, the moon and clouds, etc. Look beyond what can be seen and felt for the intangible, and use the possibility of the unknown to pique your interest in life.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I know how you feel, for me to buy a new toy works for a while, I also like photography and I am going on a trip to Alaska with 10 other people on a accessible boat and I am going to take so many photos that it will keep me busy when I get home.

Some times I wish my accident was someone else's fault then I would have money to make my self feel better, but I am glad in some ways that I don't because I have to deal with the pain and loneliness and the fact that I don't walk, If i had all the money to buy every thing, I might not deal with the real issues, but I have to and I think that is the only way to live with it, is to deal with crap and the reality that it is.

Serve someone else, put their needs before yours, that usually takes my mind off of my self. Be apart of your community, share you gifts and talents that you have to make someone's life easier. Bless them for no reason at all. You will get back more then you need to make your day.

Stevie P

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    ps. I learned long ago to find a place where I can recharge my spirituality. Find your own special place, a place that brings you peace of mind, and spend time there each day or week. For me, it can be the mountains, the ocean, sunsets and sunrises, the moon and clouds, etc.
    This is excellent advice.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    I am sooo tired. Seems chronic pain has just stripped any fun and joy in life. Seriously.

Do any of you chronic pain folks have any fun / anything you look forward to?

Can't enjoy food, constantly nauseous or puking from pain, meds only help a bit.

Big on wine but the various meds affect taste.

Can't walk / enjoy photography.

Really getting me down lately with spring coming and no life.
    why is not walking interfering with taking pictures? it should not really. sorry for your pain, but well, there are things that need to be captured and shared. get t clicking.

Bill, I am so sorry that you are struggling so. I hope this doesn't sound like a cliche, but for me I still find wonder in a good sunset, and still look forward to the birth of new ducklings each spring in the pond across the street. I enjoy movies and the occasional night at the theatre, although lately I have to admit the amount of work to pull that off means I watch more cable and less live performances. Still, I do go out, and tomorrow I am going to an open house at an Irish center with live entertainment and the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner. I don't even eat beef, but I will get the dinner anyway and nosh my way through the carrots, cabbage and potato, and I will feel a spirit of comraderie with my fellow Irish folk. I always feel like I can't know what the next moment will bring, and it might be fascinating or enjoyable, so I do not want to miss it. Yesterday, for example, thanks to major flooding in my area I had to drive all over hell and back to get home thanks to flooded roads. Just when I am sitting there thinking what an idiot I was to even try to keep my appointment and I should have stayed home I realized I was next to a large zoo and on the other side of the fence were two camels staring back at me. Suddenly a very long, very wet commute became something out of the ordinary, and sort of fun too.

Bill, I know that pain can shove a person into a very dark hole that seems so deep (when you're in the mist of it) that it seems there's no hope for climbing back up into the light. I fall over that edge much more often than I'd like to admit.

My pain never goes away. I hurt every day and night. I have come to understand, however, that the intensity does wax and wane.

I try to take advantage of the wanings so that I can maintain my sense of hope during the waxing times.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I find that a sunny day, especially now when they are so rare, can help.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005