Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Help

Wireless Help

I have decided to install a wireless network in my house and I humbly solicit recommendations. My main objective is to install connectivity to my guesthouse, which is approximately 30 meters from my router. I currently have a cable broadband modem feeding a wired router, which supports two computers.

Want to relocate a computer from a wired bedroom to an unwired study. I want to keep both the wire configuration for my pc for max speed and wireless to give connectivity to the other two boxes.

Recommendations, suggestions?

Thanks

I have a Netgear wired/wireless router, works great. No great speed differences between wired/wireless. You need a wireless NIC on each computer unless wireless is built in.

Dave

So you are looking at roughly 100 feet to the guesthouse, right? This could get tricky if there is building materials such as walls, etc. between the wireless router and the computer. If there are issues you could extend the range with directional antennae (for both the router and computer). Many times the quoted range is based on line of sight with no obstructions, when you start going room to room the range drops dramatically. Also, whatever you get, it helps if you purchase like brand equipment for the router and wireless cards, the chances of it working together well increases.

Wireless routers also have 4 ports of wired connectivity so you will be to replace your current router(save some wires and space).

There are 3 "speed" ranges B/G/A(from slowest to fastest). "A" is expensive, so go with a B/G capable router. Use all "G" cards in your computers, if you mix and match B/G the net will slow to least common denominator.

I have a linksys router. It is ok, but have had some thermal shutdown problems. Moving it to open air fixed it. Linksys does have a nice easy way to set the wep security by just entering a "passphrase" and it will generate the 26 digit code for you.

I would definitely get an extender antenna like Andy suggested for going as far as you want. When I am in my bedroom(~10-15 meters, thru 2 walls) my connection speed fluctuates quite a bit.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

I purchased the Pre n router and card from Belkin and am confident it will give me the connectivity I require.

Unfortunately with these install wizards supplied by vendors I do not have a grasp on how my network is configured to know how it is working, as a matter of fact it is not working. Though I have no idea why, because it was and when I came back it wasn't.

I have good signal strength, I was over 100 megabits per second but when I came back in the room, it was not working, and the network was not connected. When I scan it tells me I have a good signal.

Then I started changing workgroup name, lost network, changed it back and connected fine. When I came back there was no connection, and I have been unable to regain it.

Are they are so fundamental components that show where I loose my network. For example in a wired network cables are 80% of the problems. Once I know I am physically connected, running the correct protocol (with the correct ip address) and a 'log on' account I should be able to log on.

How can I check the way the wireless system is configured on my computer? What elements need to be the same? Can anyone walk me through this?

What is really frustrating is I know that it works and I "should" know how it works but I do not know why it is not working.

BTW, does anyone know how i can remap my keyboard so that when caps lock is on, its the same as a shift key pressed, i.e. cap lock on 7=&, 8=*,/ = ?, etc. Also want to make the f12 key send ctl-alt-del.

Things have changed since dos 3.3.

A couple of problems I had:

1. Conflicting applications. On my laptop I have 3 different apps available to run wireless; the intel(internal card), the Dell app, and the Win XP app. You might need to disable one if you have more than one. Win XP might have fired up it's control when discovered card, as well as the Belkin app.

2. I use the XP control and when it finds multiple wireless networks, I have neighbors around with some, it would lose the ip address for my net. It would be connected but have no "connectivity". Had to make a preferred list of nets to connect to with mine being first.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

That sounds familiar, good radio connection with a router assigned IP, but no connectivity with mystery disconnections. I had the same thing with one laptop trying to VPN tunnel to an off-site server via wireless/my router/DSL. After lots of finger-pointing by that server's "help desk" (who also owned that laptop) I took it upon myself to simply update to the latest drivers for the wireless chipset that laptop used...problem gone. That is the nature of wireless, there are 'standards', but they do not seem too 'standard'. I havent heard too much about Belkin equipment, but I really havent looked into it too much. Maybe return it for a Netgear or ??? wireless package to see how that works out?

I'm looking to get a Belkin G. Let me know how you like yours if you can please. thx

Take your hands off my MOJO

Another thing that interfears with wireless b/g networks are cordless phones and other devices that operate on the 2.4Ghz frequency. I believe channel 6 and 11 are open unused channels, but don't hold me to it.

Are you using WPA encryption by any chance? I had lots of dropped connections when using WPA, but everything works fine with WEP.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.