Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not getting any stronger - anyone good advice?

Not getting any stronger - anyone good advice?

Hi,
    I have an incomplete C456 injury and have very, very, weak arms.
    A couple of years ago I started playing rugby. I was hoping to become a bit stronger, faster but after about 4 years, I'm doing my laps in the same time as when I started. Very frustrating. (also not loosing any 'speed' during 3 month summer break -I end the season and start the season with the same speed).
    This september I started working out on my uppertone (3-4 times/week). Half an hour rowing, then about 30 mins of strength. I'm doing 3 sets of 8 reps (at about 75-80%). Beginning of november: no gain at all! So I started to take protein shakes after every work out since. Now, almost end of november: still no gain!
    Why I am not gaining any strength, why do I stay so incredibly slow?
    Really would like to have some good advice, ideas. Thanks!

it sounds like your workout routine is solid.

I do have a couple suggestions though. go for a wheel every day and do tons of hill climbs [they suck i know]. also, try to spend more time wheeling in your rugby chair and working closely on your technique [other than just at practices].

do you wheel with the back of your hand, or normally with palms down on the rims? If you use a backhand wheel you can get extra speed by reaching further back on the wheel and flicking the wrists.

make sure you do tons of stretching, and don't overdo it.

good luck, and have fun

GET YOUR TESTOSTRONE LEVELS CHECKED,. try going to a 5x5 routine, max weight. also add in a casein shake b4 bed.

i would bet your test levels are down.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Oh, and I'm female so testosteron will be quite low (in comparisson to man) anyway. So Fuente 5x5 instead of 3x8 but same weight?

More weight for strength, more reps for endurance, not both at once. High protein foods with good fluid intake. It doesn't happen overnight. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Bke View Post
    Oh, and I'm female so testosteron will be quite low (in comparisson to man) anyway. So Fuente 5x5 instead of 3x8 but same weight?
    oh shit, my bad. ok yah 5x5 heavy weight, up the protein more
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Klymir,
    I see you are playing too. Nice pic.
    The outside wheeling with my rugby chair, I did 2 summers ago on a regular basis. I'm really competitive and was timing myself every time but same thing: no improvement whatsoever. So I gave up doing that too (also because of the weather here: rain, wind, ...).
    I don't do backhand...
    I see you're canadian. Next september World Championships in Vancouver: The Belgians will be there! ;-)

Okay, tomorrow I'll start with 5x5, still 75 to 80% (trying to anyway) and 2 shakes afterwards. If I'm not any stronger by the end of december I'll quit exercising altogether!

Hi Bke,

We are getting towards end of December - how's the progress going so far? I just read through this thread and there were some solid ideas here in the way of switching up your rep and set range and adding protein.

Post workout is a really optimal time to take in the protein. In fact more and more bodybuilders and strength trainee's are finding that it is protein timing that is more critical than the actual amount of protein being taken in per day. The protein you take in after your workout is primarily what is going to be used for recovery to help you gain strength and if you miss that window it will slow your gains. It is also critical post workout to use a very fast digesting protein which is why whey protein is typically best for right after your workout because it will be assimilated so quickly.

And casein as mentioned earlier in the thread is great before bed because it digests slowly and can help prevent catabolic muscle breakdown during the fasting hours of sleep.

As far as the working of your arms always realize that the body adapts pretty quickly to whatever you do and one trick is doing something called high frequency training which you would only do for a few weeks but it will usually break any plateau.

Here is an example of a high frequency training routine that was written by Chad Waterbury one of my favorite trainers today as he uses his masters degree in neurophysiology to really understand CNS and muscular recovery to push performance to the limits.

Day 1 - 6 sets of 3 reps
    Day 2 - 3 Sets of 16 reps
    Day 3 - 5 sets of 8 reps
    Day 4 - off
    Day 5 - 6 sets of 3 reps
    Day 6 - 3 sets of 16 reps
    Day 7 - off
    Day 8 - 6 sets of 3 reps
    Day 9 - 3 sets of 16 reps
    Day 10 - 5 sets of 8 reps
    Day 11 - off
    Day 12 - 6 sets of 3 reps
    Day 13 - 3 sets of 16 reps
    Day 14 - off
    Day 15 - 6 sets of 3 reps
    Day 16 - 3 sets of 16 pres
    Day 17 - 5 sets of 8 reps

Day 18,19,20,21 - Rest

For training load as far as percentages you can look at it like this.

6 sets of 3 reps (use a weight you can lift 4-6 times before failure)
    5 sets of 8 reps (use a weight you can lift 10-14 times before failure)
    3 sets of 16 reps (use a weight you can lift 18-22 time before failure)

This routine allows to work a muscle differently each time while allowing the joints enough rest as well since the weight used is alternated from light to heavy. Then there is 4 days rest at the end allowing the body to fully recover and during that 4 days is where a lot of the strength development will occur. After you can switch back to more traditional training methods for a couple months and then try the high frequency method again if it worked well the first time.
    U.S. Marine Boot Camp Workouts Trainer to health fitness boot camps bootcamp exercises with bodyweight exercises for interval training. Hosted PBX and website traffic consulting. I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens me. Phili: 4:13

Bke

I would suggest you look outside the normal able bodied nutrition and workout suggestions. Research is showing that quads/tetras respond very differently to exercise stimulus and nutrient intake than able bodied individuals.

In order for you to gain strength in your upper body you need to challenge your nervous system by performing exercises that are different from your current routine.

I would be especially careful with your protein intake as you may be seriously taxing your kidneys to remove the excess that you body cannot use.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery