Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetpack

Same problem they had with saucer shaped hovercraft. Too freaking loud.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

For those who prefer the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPS0qOiMd4

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Banned
    I predict, with the interest and advances in technology, there will be a viable "Jetpack" product mobilizing the public, long before there is a cure for SCI. Sad but true. Funding will be there for a commodity that will generate revenue, and god knows, even I would buy one of those.

Bob, that water pack looks like the ultimate fun. That is one lucky guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brat View Post
    I predict, with the interest and advances in technology, there will be a viable "Jetpack" product mobilizing the public, long before there is a cure for SCI. Sad but true. Funding will be there for a commodity that will generate revenue, and god knows, even I would buy one of those.

Brian, a jetpack is easy is do. Wise.

Jetpack? I'd say it's more like a giant FANny pack!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Brian, a jetpack is easy is do. Wise.
    I realize there is a huge difference, Wise. I was being sarcastic in a way, saying that the public would be more willing to put time, funding and effort into a product that would transport the general masses rather than invest in SCI research.

I have found that true interest and commitment to finding a cure is limited to a special few scientists, and families who have been personally affected by SCI.

I am old and jaded, but I will never give up hope for a cure.

BTW, this is a very informative site. I am sorry I did not find it sooner. Thank you.

there will be human cities on astroids orbiting proxima, no cancer, no aids, no wars, no hungier, people will live as long as they choose;500 years, 1000 years, 1500 years except for those paralzed who would be lucky to live 20 years.

I realize there is a huge difference, Wise. I was being sarcastic in a way, saying that the public would be more willing to put time, funding and effort into a product that would transport the general masses rather than invest in SCI research.

I have found that true interest and commitment to finding a cure is limited to a special few scientists, and families who have been personally affected by SCI.

I am old and jaded, but I will never give up hope for a cure.

BTW, this is a very informative site. I am sorry I did not find it sooner. Thank you.
    Brian,

I didn't mean to sound critical but just to point out that jetpacks are a relatively simple problem to solve. In fact, several people have working jetpacks and the main issue is getting it to a point where it is affordable. I would venture to say that every male child who has ever played with or drawn action figures has imagined jetpacks on the backs of his figurines. A much greater challenge would be to build an antigravity device that would allow people to float.

In recurring dreams, I have flown (without jetpacks but by using my hands as planes on wind). I don't know whether this is true but I would think that many other people must have had similar dreams of flying. Certainly, many people have described such dreams in classic literature and these dreams have led to the development of airplanes. The transfer from dreams to reality is a particular skill of humans. So, I don't begrudge anybody spending the funds on personal flying. We need to spend some of it on the dream of curing spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Brian,

I didn't mean to sound critical but just to point out that jetpacks are a relatively simple problem to solve. In fact, several people have working jetpacks and the main issue is getting it to a point where it is affordable. I would venture to say that every male child who has ever played with or drawn action figures has imagined jetpacks on the backs of his figurines. A much greater challenge would be to build an antigravity device that would allow people to float.

In recurring dreams, I have flown (without jetpacks but by using my hands as planes on wind). I don't know whether this is true but I would think that many other people must have had similar dreams of flying. Certainly, many people have described such dreams in classic literature and these dreams have led to the development of airplanes. The transfer from dreams to reality is a particular skill of humans. So, I don't begrudge anybody spending the funds on personal flying. We need to spend some of it on the dream of curing spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    hehe, did you rescue any cats in a tree?