Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittant Catherization

Intermittant Catherization

Just looking for some input and answers - have noticed over the last little while that when catherizing, the tail end of the emptying the bladder, sometimes the urine backs up down the catheter. Never had this before and I have had 2 UTI"S in the last year so wondering if this is the cause. I take 1 5mg Oxybutynin Chloride tab daily for bladder relaxation for the last 15 years or so. Started taking cranberry capsules last week to see if that will help as I don't like the taste of cranberry juice and have increased my water intake as well.

Is that called reflux? Should I be seeing my uroligist?

Thanks

I usually always got the backing up of urine back into the cathether backwards into bladder at the end of cathing when there is about to be no more urine. IS this common?

Hi,

What you are describing in the catheter is not considered "reflux" as it is commonly known. What you are describing is more related to normal flow principles in a closed system.

Ureteral reflux is urine going backward into the ureters from the bladder and leading to the kidney. You can really only visualize this through imaging such as a voiding urogram.

Reflux occurs in people with bladder spasticity. The spastic bladder contracts but pressure increases in the bladder result in urine going up the ureters. The ureters normally have a valve that stops reflux but if the valves are not working or the bladder pressure if very high, the urine will go back into the kidney. Therefore, if you have poorly controlled bladder spasticity, it is important that this be corrected.
    that is why regular urodynamic studies are important and high pressure bladders be identified and treated, usually with medications such as oxybutynin, as you are.

AAD

when this happens to me I pull out the cath a little sometimes that gets it going sometimes need to pull it out a little and push back in a tiny bit. any way, that usually works for me.

To prevent the small amount of urine in the catheter from draining back into your bladder, just either pinch the catheter or put your finger over the end of the catheter when withdrawing.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    when this happens to me I pull out the cath a little sometimes that gets it going sometimes need to pull it out a little and push back in a tiny bit. any way, that usually works for me.
    Originally posted by KLD: To prevent the small amount of urine in the catheter from draining back into your bladder, just either pinch the catheter or put your finger over the end of the catheter when withdrawing.
    Agree, and practice both these techniques.

i ahve heard from a Dr. that LA is a lot better that oxybutynin - any comments?

That has not been my experience. It is the same drug. The LA formulation is just an extended release, so you don't have to take it as many times during the day as you do regular Ditropan. For some it works better, for others regular Ditropan works better.

(KLD)

I was on every bladder med known to man when I got hurt in '04.
    Then I found Oxytrol in 2006 which has been a god send.
    Anyway you swap out the patch twice a week and it goes straight to your bloodstrem with no side effects. Ditropan gave me horrible dry mouth and blurred vision which I'd have no part of when I got my Element in '07.
    Anyway might be worth a try.
    K

never heard of oxytrol before - you say it is a patch? I used to have a problem with the dry mouth etc too but reduced the meds to only taking 1 - 5 mg pill a day 1st thing in the AM when I have my 3 cups of coffee anyways so the dry mouth is not a big factor to me anyways- Just heard that LA dos not have the dry mouth affect as bad as Oxybutynin from a Dr.
    Have to look into that Oxytrol! see if it is available in Canada!

Thanks!