Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: I am Dr. Xiao, inventor of the Xiao Procedure

DR WISE REFremoving posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I removed several posts from this thread to the Members Only Forum http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1184320 . I request that the discussion in this thread be restricted to the Xiao procedure. An acrimonious debate has been raging for nearly a decade between another individual and Dr. Xiao, a debate that has trashed multiple discussions of the Xiao procedure all over internet. The Xiao procedure is a surgical approach to restoring bladder and bowel function that is currently undergoing clinical trials. Accusations of dishonesty and counteraccusations of defamation have been in several courts of law and have been extensively discussed in many internet sites. I do not want this debate to spill over onto CareCure. So, please refrain from bringing the debate onto CareCure. Thank you. Wise.
    Thank for bring this up can you say when these clinical trials be finished then we will no for sure.
    hopeful you trials will be up and running and after a 1 or 2 years. will it not do the same thing with out doing surgical work
    Last edited by skeaman; 03-16-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    AS I SIT HERE IN MY CHAIR . I LOOK OUT UPON THE GROUND .I WONDER WILL I EVER GET UP AND WALK A ROUND ??

http://justadollarplease.org

Dr. Xiao

So a large capacity bladder caused by frequent over-filling would make one a poor candidate for the Xiao procedure? Wouldn't this be the case for a great many adults with spina bifida?

Is there a definitive way to make a pre-surgery determination if your procedure is likely to work with such a patient?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Good question zepec..I'm interested as well if higher level injury could benefit.

Dear Dr. Xio,
    Thank you so much for your work in this area. I have had cauda equina syndrome for seven years. My bowel and bladder work somewhat but I have too push a bit when peeing and take laxatives for bowel movements. I can feel when I have to go. Hopefully, I will be a candidate for this procedure.
    I would also like to thank Dr. Young and all members who take the time to post.

Hi Dr Xiao,

I have cauda equina and conus injuries back from 2003 and have L3 and L5 burst fracture. I have lost complete control of bladder and bowel, no feeling and sensation. Do you perform operations to restore bladder and bowel in such patients? Does the procedure cause any side effects such as reduction in walking ability because of the need to remove nerves from other parts of the spine to graft to the lower portion of the spine?

You are really very smart:-)

Old,

You should change the name :-)

Anwser to your first question is generally "Yes", if the bladder is decompensated,which means the bladder lost its contractebility ,became a fibrostic bag, and would not respond to newly regenerated nerve. This is the main cause for most failure of the Procedure.

Anwser to your second question is No. Majority of survived SB patients who can live into adulthood are total denevated, which mean they are total incontinence and the bladder usually can not hold large amount of urine, so it may not be over-filled.

Third Q: Yes. I wil talk in details soon. It is about 2 am in China and I got to get some sleep:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Dr. Xiao

So a large capacity bladder caused by frequent over-filling would make one a poor candidate for the Xiao procedure? Wouldn't this be the case for a great many adults with spina bifida?

Is there a definitive way to make a pre-surgery determination if your procedure is likely to work with such a patient?

zepac,tim'smom,I anwser you together

Yes, In fact, technically, it is better and easier if the injury is higher because the procedure takes place in most cases in L5 and sacaral spine-the lowest part of spine which should have no been affected by higher lesion.

However, most of you have a high reflexic bladder, so be careful not to get over-filled bladder frequently if your doctors are treat you with detropen and CIC. Please read my post to Foolish Old.

Quote Originally Posted by zepac View Post
    Seems like its the perfect cure since now?
    I didnt read all this thread, but how about higher injuries like c4-c5? What could be the recovery percent?

Yes, You can benefit from the procedure for sure.

Hang on there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bill ogorodny View Post
    Dear Dr. Xio,
    Thank you so much for your work in this area. I have had cauda equina syndrome for seven years. My bowel and bladder work somewhat but I have too push a bit when peeing and take laxatives for bowel movements. I can feel when I have to go. Hopefully, I will be a candidate for this procedure.
    I would also like to thank Dr. Young and all members who take the time to post.

for cases like yours, I usually use T12 or L1 to brige down

So, it would not affect your walking ability at all. You have 12 T nerves on each side, so it would not affect any function if using one for bladder:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    Hi Dr Xiao,

I have cauda equina and conus injuries back from 2003 and have L3 and L5 burst fracture. I have lost complete control of bladder and bowel, no feeling and sensation. Do you perform operations to restore bladder and bowel in such patients? Does the procedure cause any side effects such as reduction in walking ability because of the need to remove nerves from other parts of the spine to graft to the lower portion of the spine?

Quote Originally Posted by CG Xiao View Post
    So, it would not affect your walking ability at all. You have 12 T nerves on each side, so it would not affect any function if using one for bladder:-)
    Thanks Dr Xiao for answering my query!

I am from Singapore. Have you perform the procedure on anyone from Singapore?