Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Dr. Xiao, inventor of the Xiao Procedure

Dr. Xiao, Let me begin by swing thanks for talking to us here on CareCure! I wanted to make this as short and direct as possible. What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post

Dr. Xiao, I understand that each case is unique, and that it is difficult to address individual situations in this format. Still, I will ask - in general, is your procedure appropriate for adults with Spina Bifida? What factors do you consider in making that determination?
    hi, Old,

Yes, the Xiao Procedure for adults is as good as for children's, only difference is that adults may need a few more months to see the results.(longer neural regeneration distance) We have so many wonderful and moving stories among adults SB who were cured by teh procedure. We have followed up on 30 cured adult SB cases underwent the xiao procedure for functional MRI for newly formed micturition center( young kids can not co-operate well and can not stay in the MRI tube for 30min without moving the head. We also are following up 50 adults SB pre and post surgery for thier sexual function. The effective rate, if not higher, is about the same as in kids.

Welcome to CareCure Dr. Xiao!

Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you

But I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years.

Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has didcated and contributed to SCI no other can match. What he is trying on stem cell and OEC cell etc. is the right direction for SCI. But, as a surgeon having seen too much horrible scar in every SCI patient, as a reseacher knewing how complex and fragle the cord is, I think there is long and hard way to go before we can see any light in the tunel.

Quote Originally Posted by CG Xiao View Post
    hi, Old,

Yes, the Xiao Procedure for adults is as good as for children's, only difference is that adults may need a few more months to see the results.(longer neural regeneration distance) We have so many wonderful and moving stories among adults SB who were cured by teh procedure. We have followed up on 30 cured adult SB cases underwent the xiao procedure for functional MRI for newly formed micturition center( young kids can not co-operate well and can not stay in the MRI tube for 30min without moving the head. We also are following up 50 adults SB pre and post surgery for thier sexual function. The effective rate, if not higher, is about the same as in kids.
    Thank you for your reply. This is very encouraging.

What criteria do you use to determine if an adult patient with SB is a good candidate for your procedure?

More generally, do you think follow-up studies can reveal ways to improve the procedure or do you think it has reached its full potential?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for your honesty. Welcome to CareCure Dr. Xiao.
    Quote Originally Posted by CG Xiao View Post
    But I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years.

Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has didcated and contributed to SCI no other can match. What he is trying on stem cell and OEC cell etc. is the right direction for SCI. But, as a surgeon having seen too much horrible scar in every SCI patient, as a reseacher knewing how complex and fragle the cord is, I think there is long and hard way to go before we can see any light in the tunel.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I need more information

I need your MRI, your urodynamic results, and the way your urologist manage your bladder. Specially, I need to determine if your bladder is decompensated( a situation caused by Detropen and frequent overextention of your bladder. If not, I am quite confident for your bladder and bowel function.

You can send me via email your MRI and Urodynamic results.
    CG_xiao@yahoo.com

Dr. Xiao, would you mind if I edited your initial post to make the webcast URL clickable?

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Almost every one.

The absolute request for Xiao Procedure is one pair of good lumbar or chest nerve, either on right side or left side, who don't qualify?:-)

It is only a matter of easier or harder of the surgery which will affect the succees rate. For example: If I have to use neural graft to connect T10 to S3, it may take 2+ years to regenerate and the succees rate may be low 50% due to possible scar forming at the 2-3 anastomosis before regenerating axons go through. But fortunately, for most cases we can find a good L5 or S1.

The current research is mostly important in scinece AND WITH SOME FINE TUNE IN CLINICAL WORK. Those important researchs for the procedure itself have been done many many years agoin animal.(1987-2000)
    Last edited by CG Xiao; 03-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Of course Steve. Thanks.

I have not quite got used to the format of this forum.