Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: I am Dr. Xiao, inventor of the Xiao Procedure

the bowel will work like before SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by AO View Post
    Thanks for the rely Dr Xiao. How would it work in practice though? How would the bowel movement work?
    Unlike bladder which may need training after neural reinnervation, bowel function just restored within 1year postsurgery without knowing it.

Sorry for replying late.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Wow, i know im late but this is very discouraging. I wonder if its debatable? I mean it seems like a rational conclusion. i hope he's wrong...
    Eric, please don't mistake lack of evidence for negative evidence. Before every major discovery, people have said there is no treatment. Before the discovery of antibiotics, before the discovery of organ transplants, before the discovery of dopaminergic drugs for Parkinson's disease, before anti-epileptic drgs were found, before the triple combination therapy was discovered for AIDS, etc., there were many who claimed that the conditions were incurable. There is no dearth of promising therapies, just not enough clinical trials to trust them. Wise.

Thank you Wise, words of wisdom.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

what are the risk with this surgery? does anyone know anything about the price for it ? and how long after surgery do you regain bladder and bowel if the operation works?
    Dr. wise would you recommend anyone to take this operation, and i know that its no guarentee for better. im by the way c5-c7 incomplete asia c. and i can feel the need to go to the bathroom .
    p.s i dont understand how you can restore bowel and bladder and not other parts, because if you do operation so yo can control b & b this means that the signals from the brain go all the way down to your sacral part of the spinal cord. maybe i have misunderstood somethings, which im sure i have. but im still confused. i would be very glad if anyone could answer some of my many question. thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by mv740 View Post
    what are the risk with this surgery? does anyone know anything about the price for it ? and how long after surgery do you regain bladder and bowel if the operation works?
    Dr. wise would you recommend anyone to take this operation, and i know that its no guarentee for better. im by the way c5-c7 incomplete asia c. and i can feel the need to go to the bathroom .
    p.s i dont understand how you can restore bowel and bladder and not other parts, because if you do operation so yo can control b & b this means that the signals from the brain go all the way down to your sacral part of the spinal cord. maybe i have misunderstood somethings, which im sure i have. but im still confused. i would be very glad if anyone could answer some of my many question. thank you very much
    mv740, sorry about not answering earlier.

I don't know what the price of the procedure is. It is probably significantly lower than in the U.S. I have no personal experience with this procedure but I have heard Dr. Xiao present his data on several occasions and I am impressed that most patients (probably 80%) have some benefit from the procedure and it appears to be safe. You may transiently lose some function from the root from which the function was transferred. As I understand it, while some people with partial function loss from spina bifida have regained voluntary control of their bladder, I am not sure that this happens in patients with incomplete spinal cord injury. People with complete spinal cord injury have to stimulate the skin that feeds sensory signals to the segment whose function was transferred to the bladder. People take 6 or more months to start showing any improvement.

Dr. Xiao has told me that several of the clinical trials carried out in the United States and the Europe are in press and will soon be published. It may be possible to get this procedure done in the United States and in Europe.

Wise.