Thread: Our beaurocratic government sucks!!!!!

Our beaurocratic government sucks!!!!!

I don't even know if I spelled that right or not and I am so mad I am not even going to look it up.

So I went back to work in May of 2007. I have spent two years trying to get social security to stop sending me money. Apparently they have determined that I am not eligible for benefits starting May of 2008 for the trial work period bullshit.

Anyway, that money has been collecting waiting on a letter from them so I could send it all back to them. I had to wait until "they" made a decision as to when my trial work period ended and etc etc etc. According to my local office in North Carolina, "they" had to ask for it back.

So I have this $32,000 dollars sitting in the bank. I received a letter from them a couple of days ago that I owe them said $32,000 and they even enclosed a bill and a nice postage paid envelope. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT.

HOWEVER, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, I get a letter from the IRS telling me that they have adjusted my 2008 tax return to reflect the $19,000 and some odd dollars that social security paid me in 2008.

The IRS wants almost $5,000 dollars on that freakin $19,000 because it put me in a higher tax bracket when they re-adjusted my 2008 tax return.

I am trying to refrain from climbing up on my soapbox!

Anyone got any ideas of how to fix this one? I do have my letters that state I was not entitled to this money I am about to pay back. However, I do get the feeling that it probably won't matter what documentation I have.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Wow, that is nasty! You need to get a good tax lawyer. Preferably one that used to work at the IRS.