Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positioning a patient in bed?

Question Positioning a patient in bed?

My nurses are complaining about how hard it is to move me in bed. I use a small pad as a drawl sheet but thats not good enough anymore. Any ideas?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use Grayson reusable bedpads 35" x 52". I am not incontinent and I"m 6 foot 240 lbs.
    AllegroMedical - $10.43

These are long enough that my attendant can get a good hold on them to move my butt from side to side. They slide very easily on my Low air Loss air mattress. They also slid well on a standard mattress that I used for a short time. The plastic bottom of the cloth chucks is the reason.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-11-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I was using something simuler. But its not cutting it anymore.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    There is another product out there called slide sheets. There are other names also but they are kinda pricey.

They appear to be a nylon tube that slides on it's self.

Never used one but they look to move folks easily. I saw a video of one somewhere.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    My nurses are complaining about how hard it is to move me in bed. I use a small pad as a drawl sheet but thats not good enough anymore. Any ideas?
    Report them!!!!!!!! If a attendant needs to be added so be it.
    Do not allow your nursing shortcomings to harm your self esteem.

sheets

I use a regular twin sheet folded in half covers from shoulder down past the butt...it isn't real easy but possibly you could use a silk or sateen sheet for easier sliding...that is my next move....good luck

Banned
    From day one we have used a folded , flat sheet laid lengthwise across the bed. They tuck in the ends under the mattress so the sheet stays straight. We have tried different types of sheets, and I find good old cotton sheets work the best. We tried the satin ones hoping they would slide easier, but gravity works too well with them if I have the head of the bed raised. The flannel ones seemed like a good idea to keep warm, but they do not slide well.

My mother always instructed new help to just "roll him like a povitica." If you don't know what a povitica is, well you just haven't lived.

I haven't lived! Post a ecipe in the food forum? Pretty please? They look gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I was using something simuler. But its not cutting it anymore.
    It is possible they are just getting so worn that the backing isn;t as slippery?

I don;t have people moving me, but depend on the lack of friction between the bed pad, and the sheet to move myself of the bed, and my newer ones "slide" more easily.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

slide sheets have been designed to help even a very heavy totally dependant person up/down bed and from side-side. THey work great.WE use them alot in our rehab centre in the early days of rehab. THey are made out of the material that you make tents out of ( kind of nylon i think) and it's the lack of friction from one layer to the other makes them easy to use. they can come in tubular form or two seperate sheets and i wouldn't advise sleeping on them-too slipppy or too close to edge of bed. THey can very easily be put under like when a sheet is changed or even rolled under you from head to foot. All carers here usually have manual handling training and know how to use them or at least seen them.They should also be rolling you from the shoulders and hips (there hands should be there) and it helps if they cross your leg over in the direction that you are rolling or at least bend the opposite knee so that the bodyweight kind of helps.Hard to explain but you don't exactly live down the road so can't call over! goodluck!