Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mega Colon?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664

    Question Mega Colon?

    What causes Mega Colon? Has anyone had it?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    flaccid gut. Kld has mentioned that regular laxatives can cause it, though my issue is actually from just lack of tone from the sci. I don't use laxatives. I get a lump in the right side until it gets pushed beyond a certain point on the right side. I get fever sometimes and get unhungry until things get pused along. I don't know how they treat it, the gut just can't push it along and gets sretched out with matter. I just feel a big lump, and sick when it gets full. I had a neighbor who had it affecting the whole colon, and she had her colon removed and had an ostomy. eventually they just reatached her small intestine and she got rid of the bag. I think there are probably a lot of sci people who get it. the wicipedia is interesting.
    Last edited by jody; 03-11-2010 at 02:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    flaccid gut. Kld has mentioned that regular laxatives can cause it, though my issue is actually from just lack of tone from the sci. I don't use laxatives. I get a lump in the right side until it gets pushed beyond a certain point on the right side. I get fever sometimes and get unhungry until things get pused along. I don't know how they treat it, the gut just can't push it along and gets sretched out with matter. I just feel a big lump, and sick when it gets full. I had a neighbor who had it affecting the whole colon, and she had her colon removed and had an ostomy. eventually they just reatached her small intestine and she got rid of the bag. I think there are probably a lot of sci people who get it. the wicipedia is interesting.

    Thanks for the link khmorgan.



    Thanks. So you have it Jody? It finally moves on past that point?
    Are MB's regular laxatives?

  5. #5
    So far, only one published study about megacolon and SCI has been located, and it states that individuals with megacolon use laxatives more than four times a month, but does not demonstrate that it is the use of laxatives that cause the megacolon. (Read the full study in PDF format.) (Thanks, sreneet, for finding this study.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Megacolon in patients with chronic spinal cord injury

    Results: Seventy-three per cent of subjects (n=94) had megacolon, and 52% of these individuals had associated radiological constipation. Subjects with megacolon were compared with those without colonic dilatation (n=34). Factors significantly associated with megacolon were older age, longer duration of injury, symptom of abdominal distension, radiological constipation, urinary outlet surgery, laxative use at least once weekly, use of anticholinergic drugs, and use of calcium-containing antacids. These factors were simultaneously included in a multiple logistic regression model. Independent correlates of megacolon were more than 10 years elapsed since acute injury, age over 50 years, and use of 4 laxative doses per month.


    Conclusion: Megacolon is a highly prevalent disorder in individuals with chronic spinal cord injury. Our findings suggest that the presence of megacolon may be predicted in older individuals, and in those who are more than 10 years post-SCI. We also found that clinical constipation was frequently present in individuals with megacolon, despite their significantly greater use of laxatives.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


  6. #6
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    So far, only one published study about megacolon and SCI has been located, and it states that individuals with megacolon use laxatives more than four times a month, but does not demonstrate that it is the use of laxatives that cause the megacolon. (Read the full study in PDF format.) (Thanks, sreneet, for finding this study.)

    That doesn't sound good.

    Wait MB is a suppository. This says laxative.
    Isn't psyllium a laxative? I just started using it,,, everyday!

  7. #7
    Psyllium is a fiber supplement. The most popular is branded under Metamucil.

    AAD

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Psyllium is a fiber supplement. The most popular is branded under Metamucil.

    AAD
    Thanks AAD.
    It says laxative on the front but they're not talking about that kind.
    That's why I was scared to use it?

    Is Magnesuim the supplement okay to take?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    My BOSS is a mega colon.. I hear switching jobs cures that syndrome..
    It worked for me and blood pressure went down!!!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Indpls, IN USA
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Psyllium is a fiber supplement. The most popular is branded under Metamucil.

    AAD
    \so, metamucil is a fiber supp. & pericolase is a laxative??
    I've taken 2 peri. a day for 11+ years....should I be concerned?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Similar Threads

  1. Mega, Giga, Tera, and Now the Hella
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
  2. mega colon?
    By dan_nc in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
  3. mega colon
    By jack in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •