Thread: Hamstring exercises

Hamstring exercises

I usually propel wheel chair forward by diggin heels into ground for hamstring workout. The surface has to be smooth though. No rug, grass or concrete to much friction. This is by far the hardest I do thing bcuz tone kicks in making it hard to dig in plus hammies are weak.

Are there any other hamstring work outs out there?

Thanks
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    I usually propel wheel chair forward by diggin heels into ground for hamstring workout. The surface has to be smooth though. No rug, grass or concrete to much friction. This is by far the hardest I do thing bcuz tone kicks in making it hard to dig in plus hammies are weak.

Are there any other hamstring work outs out there?

Thanks
    Position yourself on the floor or matt,, tie a 4 foot strap around your foot, lie on your stomach, grab the strap and begin bringing your foot/heel toward your butt. Now allow your hamstrings to assist with the heel to butt motion. This strengthen the hammies and negates the tone. No matter how much assistance you must give the hammies the important thing is muscle contractions that will lead to stronger hammies.

Thanks Kelrod. So as I passivley pull heel to but. Try to do it actively at the same time?
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

My hams respond well to e-stim. I pad them up along with my quads and run them on alternate channels. To date, they're still pretty weak but I keep on trying.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    Thanks Kelrod. So as I passivley pull heel to but. Try to do it actively at the same time?
    Correct, as you pull the strap toward your head, activate the hamstrings and allow to assist. It will be challenging at first, but in time you will notice a difference. 3 sets of 10 each leg to start.

Quote Originally Posted by kelrod View Post
    Correct, as you pull the strap toward your head, activate the hamstrings and allow to assist. It will be challenging at first, but in time you will notice a difference. 3 sets of 10 each leg to start.
    You can also do an eccentric contraction of your hamstrings by pulling the strap up and then trying to resist (by contracting your hamstrings) allowing your leg to fall back to the floor

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery