Thread: Evolution of a post

Blog Entries

Evolution of a post

What do you do when you just don’t think you can do it anymore?
    It was one of those days, and I meant to seek empathetic ears for the tortures. But I never got past the title and forget now that day’s details, though I remember the conclusion: of course you just do it, and get up again tomorrow. So something that was wrong made me call my neighbor, which left me planning to nest this post into the following (also unwritten except for the title):

Do you believe in this?
    Usually I drop my phone, but I was able to call my neighbor, so I think that day it was because I couldn’t get to my 4-ap. I hadn’t spoken with Lilly in a month or two. When she came to my rescue, she said, “You know, it’s funny—Arthur [her husband] just asked me a little while ago if I’d seen you lately.” So we decided he is one of those super-sensitive people, like my grandma was, who just sensed my distress through the ether. I think there really are people like that.

But better just to rely on life alert
    So my inadvertent test of my theory fell flat. I was trying to move the rolling stool so I could pull open my file drawer, and I leaned too far and trapped my arms under me, and trying to pull them out to pull myself up somehow launched me sliding out of my recliner. It’s amazing how much you bleed when you crack thin eye socket skin. So it unfortunately was one of the rare days when I didn’t have a phone in the bottom of my chair, and it was Sunday so no mailman. So I spent a couple hours being thankful I didn’t break my nose again and trying to slide to where I could reach up to my phone. Eventually I gave up and just lay there in blood and spilled chocolate ice cream, watching the sun eventually set and missing the Oscars while I napped, until my aide came at 11. And I tried hard to will Arthur’s attention through the afternoon, but to no avail. So so much for my theory.

So I’ve got quite a shiner but x-ray today clears me of broken bones.

It’s amazing what you take the time to write when you meant to be doing your taxes.

Random - That was quite a day you had... Glad you are okay, no harm (except a shiner) no foul. The Oscar show wasn't that great. Your post evolved to a good story...

Random, It sounds like a horrible experience. Glad that you didn't break your poor nose again. Arndog is right, the Oscar's just seemed pretty endlessly boring to me, so you didn't miss much beyond one dance number that I thougth was pretty good. Did I hear ice cream was part of this? Damn, I would have been licking the ice cream off the floor in sheer frustration if I had been you. I am tossing around the Life Alert thing in my head. Not sure I want to lay out another $30.00/month for something that might not be needed, on the other hand if it is needed it becomes priceless. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Yowie Random, no fun at all - ouch!

You know, rather than have a service, there is another alternative - it's basically the world's smallest cordless phone. It's a pendant that you can wear around your neck or clip to your clothes. It has a button - all it will do is dial 911, and then you talk to them through the speaker on the pendant.

But - it's just a phone. So you plug the base into power, and into a phone line - and that's it. You have the purchase price, but no monthly fees. We got one for my old lady friend. As long as you'd be able to push the button...

Here's the one we got - $129 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Alert...8324696&sr=8-1

I'm not sure it wants to get really wet, only downside I saw. If I remember correctly (but check please) it can be splashed, but not submerged.

We did a test run with 911, and it worked really well.

I'm sorry Random. I'm glad nothing was broke.
    I have a lifeline but it's funded for me by Medicaid I think.
    I've only used it once in 3 yrs. I got my wc stuck in an awkward position.
    I asked them to call my sister next door.
    I think it's a good thing. I know I'd have needed it much more if I didn't have it.
    Take care & be careful. {hugs} Mona

I've kicked around the idea of getting a lifeline too. I get around fairly well, my balance stinks, and I have'nt checked lately (thank goodness) but last I tried I could'nt get up by myself after a fall.

Eileen, I hate to fork out the extra money for one too. As it is there's not much left of my check after I pay health insurance, co-pays for doctors and PT, and let us not forget all the meds I have to buy. Knowing me, I'll probably think about it until I really need it and then "probably" get the service. lol

I hope you're feeling better Random. I think most of all I hate the helpless feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Yowie Random, no fun at all - ouch!

You know, rather than have a service, there is another alternative - it's basically the world's smallest cordless phone. It's a pendant that you can wear around your neck or clip to your clothes. It has a button - all it will do is dial 911, and then you talk to them through the speaker on the pendant.

But - it's just a phone. So you plug the base into power, and into a phone line - and that's it. You have the purchase price, but no monthly fees. We got one for my old lady friend. As long as you'd be able to push the button...

Here's the one we got - $129 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Alert...8324696&sr=8-1

I'm not sure it wants to get really wet, only downside I saw. If I remember correctly (but check please) it can be splashed, but not submerged.

We did a test run with 911, and it worked really well.
    this is a good idea. My phone was run over the other day when I dropped it in the parking lot a walmart, so I may look into this.
    Um tam, could you give that poor lady a name? you reffer to her a lot, and I don't know why it bothers me but well, "my ol lady friend" sounds sort of undignified when used so often. she seems to have been valuable to you. enough to bring you here without having a sci. seems an insult to her memory.

Gosh, I didn't mean any insult to her - quite the opposite, she was just such a private person I guess I just don't feel right putting her name on the internet - especially since I've said some things that are sort of intimate about her on the forum. If she were still alive - she'd absolutely hate it - I can't shake the feeling she'd still hate it now.

She had a great sense of humor - she wouldn't mind the "old lady friend" a bit, honestly. She referred to herself often as "the crip", and I was always afraid we'd get in trouble when people overheard the jokes we made.

She was very important to me, we were close friends for 29 years. I was with her at the very end - in fact, I called off the code.

Actually, I found this forum not because of her, but because of my husband though - he's a pain patient, perhaps his cord was injured - but probably not it seems now - maybe. But I became fond of some people, and kinda relate to those who care for a family member with a chronic illness - so hopefully it's ok to stick around.

I have no prob with anyone being here really. I'm sorry. I use the gimp word often, I guess that is not a lot different.

Oh, don't be sorry - no apology needed. If you wondered, and it felt disrespectful to you, I'm glad you asked.