Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Broken spine rejoined in 'miracle' surgery" ?

"Broken spine rejoined in 'miracle' surgery" ?

I was surfing the internet looking through this funny websites that collects curious links and stuff and i came across with this:

Broken spine rejoined in 'miracle' surgery

Bombay News.Net
    Saturday 4th July, 2009 (IANS)
    Doctors at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here have rejoined a 10-year-old boy's broken spinal cord, hospital authorities said Saturday, terming it as a 'first-of-its-kind case'.

The boy, Premchand from Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh, fell while playing in a field and the moving blades of a tractor's harrow went over his back cutting his vertebral column into two.

He was brought to the AIIMS Trauma Centre Sep 4 and immediately operated upon after five hospitals said they could not treat him. Nine months later, he is back on his feet and walking without help.

At AIIMS a team of doctors performed the rare surgery lasting over eight hours.

D.B. Choudhary, senior consultant orthopaedic surgeon at AIIMS, said: 'The child was in a state of shock due to blood loss and had two deep wounds on the back with active leak of cerebrospinal fluid and rib fracture.

'His entire spine was fragmented in two parts. Initially he was given blood and treated with other medicines to prevent meningitis,' he added.

Claiming it a medical feat, AIIMS Trauma Centre chief M.C. Mishra said: 'I have done extensive research and can conclude that it is a first-of-its-kind case in medical history. Such a case with sharp penetrating injury to the spine in a child causing complete breakage of the lumbar spine in two parts presenting with complete loss of power and sensations is extremely unusual and has not been reported in literature either.'

The child started responding and felt sensations only a month after his surgery and now after nine months he is able to walk with minimal assistance.

He is currently undergoing rehabilitation physiotherapy. 'We are expecting him to recover soon,' Deepak Gupta, one of the doctors who operated upon the boy, told reporters. 'There is no threat of infection.'

Urging small hospitals to refer such critical cases directly to the AIIMS, Choudhary said the Trauma Centre is capable of handling difficult cases. Referring to Premchand's treatment, he said: 'It is another miracle carried out at AIIMS.'

This is interesting but just not enough information. There is no information as lasting effects such as bladder bowel and he needs minimal assistance when walking. I had an L1 burst fracture. Completely blew apart and caused the spinal cord to be smooshed. I could not move or feel anything below waist. They removed all of the vertabre and its pieces and rebuilt one with my rib and a piece of femur. After surgery I regained a tremendous amount of movement and feeling. I am an S1 para complete. I am pretty sure that at the L1 level the spinal cord is at its end with the conus and cauda equina. Even with the leakage he had he may not have severed the cord, he may have knicked it with bone fragments. With lack of details I would be very skeptical to say that this has never been done before. I dont have bowel or bladder control, and am still paralyzed from the waist down in the back of my legs and feet. I am able to walk with minimal assistance. I was told by my neurosurgeon that he had someone else with the same injury as mine that had a 100% recovery with no lasting effects. At that level it is a matter of the tip of the cord and how much damage is actually done to the cord.

Lots of people "break their SPINE" (sustain orthopedic injuries to their vetebrae) and (lucky for them) do not sustain any neurologic deficits, which would be due to damage to the SPINAL CORD. Of course it is not all that unusual to reconstruct a spine (ie, the bones, ligaments, and joints of the spine) but not at all possible currently to reconstruct or reconnect the CORD.

This appears to be another triumph of uninformed and sensational journalism that misses the facts entirely.

(KLD)

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Looking for a magic wand to hand to a Neurosurgeon

Hey 0xSquidy,

I broke my spine too. I am grateful to the medical professionals and the surgeries that I have been a part of, but I think the article is HEAVILY sprinkled with sensationalism. There are some people like Kevin Everett (from the Buffalo Bills)
    and

Pat Rummerfield ( http://www.spinalcordrecovery.org/st...ummerfield.php )

who do get good to great "return". I think if you ask those who have received "return" they will tell you about the hard work in Physical therapy and medical advance that they were apart of rather than that single one shot in the dark that the fortunate 10 year old had. Yes, a sprinkle of luck might go along with it but to be 100% dependent on achieving exactly what another SCI has received might not be precisely what you need with your injury. Stay hopeful still work at exercising, be informed about procedures and medical advances but NEVER GIVE UP.

Sure, i wasn't giving credit to that new, that's why i quoted it. I just found it worth posting it here.
    In spain we call that "magufada"

Oxy, I see you are from Barcelona, my bad. We are growing a groundswell and the ball is rolling in the right direction. Let us know waht we can do as a group.

thanks,
    T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Oxy, I see you are from Barcelona, my bad. We are growing a groundswell and the ball is rolling in the right direction. Let us know waht we can do as a group.

thanks,
    T.J.
    Yes i am from Barcelona city. My english is so bad i'm not sure i understood you.

The spinal cord itself wasn't severed, the spine was.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Yes i am from Barcelona city. My english is so bad i'm not sure i understood you.

thanks,
    T.J.
    0xSquidy,

What 'keeping on' said might be interpreted as; 'Keep up at recovery'. The "ball is rolling in the right direction" is a saying here int the USA that people are working together towards a common goal.

One of the most CRITICAL things with in research and development is to repeat the results over a wide variety of a given population density. The article that you mentioned in the post had results but for only a single SCI patient. The idea is to get the science to meet up with results and then to get the bulk of people in wheelchairs redeveloping what once was thought "lost". I know the SCI Nurse "crew" would all agree with me when I say; "To have a specific chemical, procedure, activity or method to put people on their feet with weight bearing through their body would be a medical advance WELCOME with a wide audience for need.

Hopefully AlgĂșn Dia,