Thread: Turned Down for SSI

Turned Down for SSI

Hi everyone,

New here. So, first of all, hello.

I am a C4 complete (post almost 21 years). I was only 15 when I was injured and was turned down the first two times by SSDI due to the fact that my parents made too much money. Since then I have applied for both SSDI and Social Security probably four or five times, and have been turned down each time. I now have a part-time job which hopefully will allow me to get in the cycles and acquire Social Security at some point. However, I have no idea about that.

The reason they continue to deny me is because I have a piece of property in my name. However, that piece of property has been in litigation for over 10 years now and it is simply a piece of farmland. Don't get me wrong. When and if I can, I will be selling it as soon as possible, but that does not look like there will be any light at the end of that tunnel anytime soon.

My question is that I am extremely concerned about insurance. I haven't had insurance for well over 10 years now and to get into Medicaid I of course have to have been accepted into SSDI. Or, at least, that's what I'm being told. I am making it from paycheck to paycheck, but how does someone in my situation get insurance especially if it costs over $100 a month.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or answers as to how to obtain insurance? I'm starting to feel run down all the time so I'm guessing a doctor visit is in order. I haven't been to the doctor in a couple of years because the last time cost me almost $700 and I simply cannot afford that again.

Sorry for rambling. Using voice recognition and it just simply flows out.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, welcome. Sorry to hear your plight. You won't be eligible for SSDI until you work a certain amount of quarters - probably consecutive quarters - and after two years of being accepted, you'd get Medicare.

You would probably be approved for SSI right now if you sold your property, and if your total assets didn't surpass $2000 and you're not making very much money working (I'm not sure of how much you can make and still get SSI). You would also be eligible for Medicaid if your assets were below the 2 grand, and you were not making a lot of money at your work.

The above is my understanding. Others with more knowledge will have answers. You need to have insurance and see a doctor more regulary. I wish you the best.

SSI is associated with Medicaid.

SSDI is associated with Medicare.

I've also heard that SS is turning down almost everybody the first two or three times when they apply for SSDI. That's because there's a backlog due to the wars we're fighting and the injured soldiers that result from any war. But if you're paralyzed, you will be approved as long as you have enough work quarters. Keep trying, or hire an attorney who works on a contingency basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisaWhat View Post
    Hi everyone,

New here. So, first of all, hello.

I am a C4 complete (post almost 21 years). I was only 15 when I was injured and was turned down the first two times by SSDI due to the fact that my parents made too much money. Since then I have applied for both SSDI and Social Security probably four or five times, and have been turned down each time. I now have a part-time job which hopefully will allow me to get in the cycles and acquire Social Security at some point. However, I have no idea about that.

The reason they continue to deny me is because I have a piece of property in my name. However, that piece of property has been in litigation for over 10 years now and it is simply a piece of farmland. Don't get me wrong. When and if I can, I will be selling it as soon as possible, but that does not look like there will be any light at the end of that tunnel anytime soon.

My question is that I am extremely concerned about insurance. I haven't had insurance for well over 10 years now and to get into Medicaid I of course have to have been accepted into SSDI. Or, at least, that's what I'm being told. I am making it from paycheck to paycheck, but how does someone in my situation get insurance especially if it costs over $100 a month.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or answers as to how to obtain insurance? I'm starting to feel run down all the time so I'm guessing a doctor visit is in order. I haven't been to the doctor in a couple of years because the last time cost me almost $700 and I simply cannot afford that again.

Sorry for rambling. Using voice recognition and it just simply flows out.

Thanks for your help.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Sounds like a tough situation. Because of the age you were injured you might be eligible for an SSA claim under your parents account (s) IF they are retired (or disabled) on SS. There are conditions to be met but if you qualified and the right circumstances assets ( property) might not be a factor.

edited to change info... I think because you are working / have worked it may make you ineligble for a claim under parents account. sorry crazy rule.
    Good luck.

from SSA publication:
    "The SSDI program pays benefits to adults who have a disability that began before they became 22 years old. We consider this SSDI benefit as a “child’s” benefit because it is
    paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record.
    For a disabled adult to become entitled to this “child” benefit, one of his or her parents:

Must be receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits; or
    Must have died and have worked long enough under Social Security.
    These benefits also are payable to an adult who received dependents benefits on a parent’s Social Security earnings record prior to age 18, if he or she is disabled at age 18. We make the disability decision using the disability rules for adults.

SSDI disabled adult “child” benefits continue as long as the individual remains disabled. Your child does not need to have worked to get these benefits."

SSA publication:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html
    Last edited by ChesBay; 03-09-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add information

I was approved on my second appeal. the judge appointed two neurologists to examine me, because she was sure I was faking. well the neurologists diagnosed several issues, and ordered more tests, which supported their exam findings.
    can that property be sold and any funds put into trust for future care, so that any profit is not used againts disawhat?

I ran into someone in the same situation as you and he put all his property into a trust and he said he now gets ssdi and medicare.

Thank you all for the information! It is greatly appreciated. As soon as I get the opportunity to "rearrange" the property, it will be gone and I will definitely be looking into a trust now (if any proceeds are made that the lawyers don't scavenger up).

Jody, I will definitely try the appeal process again and see what happens.

Thanks again you guys. I'm definitely open to any suggestions.

Hi DisaWhat,
    If you can work enough quarters to then apply for SSDI you will get more money per month to live on, but if that is not possible you are definitely elligible for SSI and Medicaid after you make that property disappear.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Post Welcome

Dear DisaWhat,

First of all welcome to Care Cure Community.

Second, Keep working if you are employed and can do so.

Third, reapply to the Social Security Administration the lions share of applications are rejected the first time around. The people at the SSA are not the sharpest tools in the shed (or pencil in the box) and you might need to be more specific with regard to your disability in your application. Get your doctors and nurses involved with your struggle to provide you with a different perspective to rewrite your application. The "system" is rarely your "friend" but you will find others on this site that are a wealth of information.

Keep on keeping on,