Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly me to the moon...

Fly me to the moon...

Hi! I'm taking a plane in two weeks for a less than 3-hour flight. I use a condom catheter and i've never taken a plane since my injury.
    I'm guessing i'll have to call flight's company (haven't booked it yet) to alert of my situation.
    I don't think it will be enough with the leg bag...

Any advices to avoid this beginner more troubles than needed?

Thank you.

If you don't think your usual size will be big enough have a look at these......

http://www.manfredsauer.co.uk/bendibags.asp

......... they're made in Germany so you should be able to get them in Spain.

You do not need to contact the airline for this. And as Timaru said, there are several sizes of legbags, or you can have more legbags with you in the cabin and replace in the airplane while seated. You wil do fine. But everything depends on the beer intake, of course.

PS. And take you're wheelchair cushion with you in the plane and sit on that one during the trip. Much better than the regular seats.

I used to fly a lot and usually just dehydrated myself a little before hand. The other thing I did was to fix a bedside drainage bag so I could plug it into my legbag drainage tubing and drain it. I only needed that once and my wife was with me. It worked okay. I read somewhere that a guy found a "Y" connector so he could wear a bag on each leg when he went drinking. I do not know if that is true, but I have seen connectors like that in urological supply catalogs.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

All solutions look great, i'll decide for one by the time needed!

I'm afraid my own cushion is gonna get my feet too high, am i wrong?

Thank you

Your cushion will make you sit higher, but how much your feet lift off the floor depends on thickness of cushion and how tall you are. It doesn't matter that much for your feet to lift up, even dangling w/o touching floor at all (that's me), esp in such a short trip. Just make sure you are belted tight enough to keep your hips back.

If you're concerned about legs not touching floor:
    and have a foam base cushion, you will likely sit better positioned than if on a roho, but if you have a roho, particularly a dual or quad, then it might help to 'lock' the valve (with you sitting in your reg chair) before putting onto the airplane seat.

Also, the front row, or bulkhead, may allow greater room - for transfers, etc - but they are likely not to have anything in front of you to push up against, like seats, to hep with adjusting and repositioning, or even balance, if necessary. But you being a low para, this may not be that big an issue.

Also, when you book the trip you can specify the seat you want, if not do it at check inn, they can move other passengers around to other seats, if it is front row up with the bulkhead or other seats you want. You can for example choose an aisle seat, this will make the transfer easier for some due to not all planes have movable armrests, forcing you to lift yourself over these, say if you have a window seat. Also when booking tell that you require assistance on and off the plane - typically for you with you’re injury - from the gate to the seat (on an airport aisle chair), and make sure that this information is understood for both ends of the leg, also on legs if transit is required. At the same time also tell them the dimensions of you’re chair, like 70x70x70cm 20kg manual wheelchair. Also tell at check inn that you want to use you’re own wheelchair if you have a transit airport in you’re planned route – many of the airport wheelchairs are crap and one don’t like to sit in those for long time (keep in mind there could also be delays) – and that the ground team thus store it in the planes cargo for easy access, tell the same ting to the purser onboard the airplane when entering then they will make sure of it. Taking flights for injury levels like yours and mine are a peace of cake, it is just some details we have to keep in mind to make the trips more comfortable and easy. Have a nice trip and bring back some good ideas to Spain with you.

PS. And if you want to do the leg bag thing a bit more complicated but very effective as for volume, here are two tips. -When you go on a flight take a toolbox with you (typically pipe fitter tools), just tell security it is for the wheelchair (they might buy into it) and 5m ¼” PVC flexible tubing and some connectors and a small electrical motor and some wiring, just tell security the wires are dental floss (they might buy into it). Then onboard the plane if you have a seat way back, put you’re backpack (which has a big empty plastic container preinstalled in it) up in the storage area above you’re head, then install the tubing on the condom, along with the small electrical motor inline and connect the tubing to the container in the backpack above you (if problems just ask the person next to you for help, peoples often are more than willing to help on flights). The wires you simply connect to the motor and a cigarette lighter in the armrest (if not just connect it to the switch above controlling the cabin lights). This should work fine. Or; if you are sitting up with the bulkhead – preferably on the side where the lavatory is located – just ask for a blanket (to cower you, tell them it is very cold) and them simply remove the screws on the bulkhead and remove the whole panel. Then you simply connect the connectors and the tubing to the aircrafts inbuilt vacuum toilet tubing. This should also work fine. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Also when booking tell that you require assistance on and off the plane - typically for you with you’re injury - from the gate to the seat (on an airport aisle chair), and make sure that this information is understood for both ends of the leg, also on legs if transit is required..
    Also be sure to tell this to every one along the way: at the check in counter, at the gate, and again, to the flight attendant on the plane near the end of the trip.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    PS. And if you want to do the leg bag thing a bit more complicated but very effective as for volume, here are two tips. -When you go on a flight take a toolbox with you (typically pipe fitter tools), just tell security it is for the wheelchair (they might buy into it) and 5m ¼” PVC flexible tubing and some connectors and a small electrical motor and some wiring, just tell security the wires are dental floss (they might buy into it). Then onboard the plane if you have a seat way back, put you’re backpack (which has a big empty plastic container preinstalled in it) up in the storage area above you’re head, then install the tubing on the condom, along with the small electrical motor inline and connect the tubing to the container in the backpack above you (if problems just ask the person next to you for help, peoples often are more than willing to help on flights). The wires you simply connect to the motor and a cigarette lighter in the armrest (if not just connect it to the switch above controlling the cabin lights). This should work fine. Or; if you are sitting up with the bulkhead – preferably on the side where the lavatory is located – just ask for a blanket (to cower you, tell them it is very cold) and them simply remove the screws on the bulkhead and remove the whole panel. Then you simply connect the connectors and the tubing to the aircrafts inbuilt vacuum toilet tubing. This should also work fine. Good luck.
    When you regain consciousness, the first thing you'll hear is 'Welcome to Gitmo Baby!'
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thank you for all the advises! Leif you are such a dangerous McGyver!