Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Type of Laxative for Long Term Use

Best Type of Laxative for Long Term Use

I have been told by my doctor that I should not plan to use senna tablets for my long term bowel program. I have been using them since the start, about 2 years ago. I take 2 tablets each evening and have 2 bowel movements a day, when I get up in the morning and just before bed.

So, as I reduce and then eliminate senna, I need to replace it with something since I am on methadone and oxycodone. Would it be best to take MiraLax, Metamucil or Citrucel? Or does it even matter?

I need to maintain stools that are slightly on the hard side since I need to do manual evacuation. Too loose and I get smearing during the day, too hard and I am constipated.

Thank you. Derek

Just in case you end up needing it, there is also a newish drug that is specifically designed to reverse opioid-induced constipation - Relistor. It's an injection though, that you can give yourself.

My wife has used Miralax for getting on to 4 years now; we've been told there are no long-term effects. You'd need to adjust the amount you need to obtain the best consistency - it varies a lot for her, but then she often forgets to take the stuff. BTW, she also uses Enemeez, supplemented with dig stim & usually manual removal; it's once a day in the evening for her.
    - Richard

Hi,

If you can achieve your results with metamucil, benefiber or citrucel- thisa would be the best as it is fiber with few side effects. You would have to try it out. If not, I would recommend miralax, perhaps even every other day.

AAD

Also, did you ever consider a suppository such as magic bullet or enemeez 3x weekly for your bowel program if the fiber isn't enough?

AAD

Just to clarify, of course, what the nurse said.

I only mentioned the Relistor in case those did not suffice - I didn't intend that it would be the first thing to try..

Organic Smooth Move

Ohhhh, where do I start… This is big problem for me. My doctor put me on 2tabs of Senna 3 times daily plus 4 caps of Ducasate/night – not working. But what sometime does help me is herbal tea – Organic Smooth Move. sold at almost any grocery store (don't buy it at GNC it's over priced there.)
    Drink BEFORE bedtime...let it steep for about 10 minutes and drink.

I had a hard time finding a bowel program that works well for me. Finally, I found that one to two doses of Miralax/day along with a stool softener usually works well. I use suppositories as needed.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Blog Entries

How can we respond since such comments can't be proven?

No one has recovered their bowel function to determine there ever to be long term side effects?

derek---- "I have been told by my doctor that I should not plan to use senna tablets for my long term bowel program"

rfbdorf---- "My wife has used Miralax for getting on to 4 years now; we've been told there are no long-term effects"

UniqueRU,
    You are right! That Smooth Move works good. It has help me alot on my morning bowel.