Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen testicle

Swollen testicle

This morning, when I was washing I found one of my testicles is about one and a half times bigger than normer and is hard. This evening, I finally called a urologist in Philly. They were closed.
    Then I read on the web- If you have sudden pain in your testicles get to an ER. Of course, I can't feel anything, being T7, and there are number of causes for this kind of condition.
    Earlier last week, I had sulfer-smelling urine and a headache. I had a fever (102) a couple of days ago. There was blood in my urine during one cath. My muscles were all achy. I avoided going to a doctor and took Cipro I had from a urologist (not too smart-I know). Still I have nasal congestion.
    Dealing with the medical profession is tough. I find it hard to make decisions about my care. Anyway, I'll call my new general doctor in the morning. That is unless the swelling goes away
    Rich

At best, it might just be Epididymitis, at worst torsion or...

As a man who lost a testicle due to misdiagnosis, I urge you to get checked.

Quote Originally Posted by pararich View Post
    This morning, when I was washing I found one of my testicles is about one and a half times bigger than normer and is hard. This evening, I finally called a urologist in Philly. They were closed.
    Then I read on the web- If you have sudden pain in your testicles get to an ER. Of course, I can't feel anything, being T7, and there are number of causes for this kind of condition.
    Earlier last week, I had sulfer-smelling urine and a headache. I had a fever (102) a couple of days ago. There was blood in my urine during one cath. My muscles were all achy. I avoided going to a doctor and took Cipro I had from a urologist (not too smart-I know). Still I have nasal congestion.
    Dealing with the medical profession is tough. I find it hard to make decisions about my care. Anyway, I'll call my new general doctor in the morning. That is unless the swelling goes away
    And the truth shall set you free.

I agree with NOdecafplz above. YOu need to have this checked out. If it is epididymitis, then you will most likely have a urine culture done to identify the organism and antibiotic treatment is usually continued for several weeks, often 4-6. I would not put this off.
    That is likely what your fever was related to.

AAD

Been there. Get to the doc or ER asap. You can end up with a testicle as big as an orange and loose it!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Gawd reminds me of vasectomy, had a blood vessel burst and needed a wheelbarrow to walk around.Get it checked asap.

Oh man,
    it hurts thinking about orange sized testicles and wheelbarrows to carry them.
    I saw a family doc. He prescribed 14 days of bactrim. He said he'd prescribe a longer dose if needed. Also made an appt for an ultrasound.
    Thanks everyone.
    Rich

Now I realize that going to a urologist instead of a general doctor would have been better. I'm still learning how to take care of myself in a wise way.
    The urologist that I've seen is located pretty far away, though.
    Rich

HI,
    If the general doctor is familiar with you and your SCI, you did the right thing by going to the closer one. What he/she did sounds appropriate but make sure you get the ultrasound done.
    AAD

SCI nurse.
    The swelling went away so I skipped the ultrasound.
    I assume there was an infection or maybe there was irritation from being sat on too much (it's hard to know since I can't feel).
    Rich

Were you put on antibiotics? Did you complete your course? It can take several weeks for the swelling to go away. If it is not gradually reducing in size, or is getting MORE swollen, you need to go back to the ER or your physician ASAP, and you may need to have the ultrasound to rule out an abscess.

Don't ignore an episode of epididymitis. It can permanently affect your fertility, and can become a septicemia fairly easily due to how vascular the area is.

(KLD)