Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664

    Unhappy Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets

    Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets

    Do you know which foods and beverages might be harmful to your pets – and what to do if your pet ingests something toxic?


    By Elizabeth Mason Woods for WebVet
    Reviewed by Amy I. Attas, VMD





    Poison is a growing concern among pet owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. Many common household foods and drugs can also be toxic to your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.
    Avocados. Avocados contain a toxin known as persin. Persin is found in various parts of the avocado and avocado trees (eg, leaves, rind, etc). This toxin is known mostly to cause vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected by the negative side effects of consuming avocado.
    Beer. Not just beer ... all alcohol. Depending on how much alcohol your animal ingests, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death.
    Chocolate. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners to avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs, and dogs with indiscriminate eating habits since it can be toxic if ingested.
    Candy. Chocolate is the most common candy that is toxic to pets, especially to dogs, cats, and ferrets. Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets.

    Caffeine. Caffeine is generally highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects can include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.
    Grapes and raisins. An unknown toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and ultimately lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat.
    Nuts. An unknown toxin in nuts can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness. Particularly avoid Macadamia nuts.
    Onions. Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species. Allium species plants contain sulfur compounds that can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia. This is referred to as Allium poisoning.
    Some human medicines. While some human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians, others can be highly toxic and fatal. Acetaminophen, which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products, for example, can be fatal to cats. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.
    Xylitol (artificial sugar). Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, chewing gum, toothpaste, and various foods. Because it is toxic to pets, products containing xylitol should not be given to your dog or cat.
    Lily Plants. All portions of the lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment.


    Other foods that can be toxic to your pet:


    http://www.everydayhealth.com/pet-he...ealth_20100308

  2. #2
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    I dropped an entire pill of Ratio-citolopram one day and Twoxten (my cat) had his mouth on it before I could wheel two feet, bend down and scoop it from him. Despite picking him up and forcing open his mouth, he had already downed it.

    Four hours of phoning/waiting for a service in America to tell me he might look a bit stoned but he would be okay ... and $75US for a phone call!

    So much for throwing treats anymore (he'll jump and bat and twist in the air to get them). He thought I was playing or giving him a treat ...

    My cats will eat bits of olive and cheese but I severely limit how much.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I dropped an entire pill of Ratio-citolopram one day and Twoxten (my cat) had his mouth on it before I could wheel two feet, bend down and scoop it from him. Despite picking him up and forcing open his mouth, he had already downed it.

    Four hours of phoning/waiting for a service in America to tell me he might look a bit stoned but he would be okay ... and $75US for a phone call!

    So much for throwing treats anymore (he'll jump and bat and twist in the air to get them). He thought I was playing or giving him a treat ...

    My cats will eat bits of olive and cheese but I severely limit how much.
    OMGOSH Lynnifer I can seeing you trying to get him to give it back to you. Wow $75. That's not cool. I'm glad he was okay.

    I didn't know there were so many foods that could hurt pets.
    I'm lucky I didn't hurt mine seriously.

  4. #4
    I remember my older brother getting my dog drunk when I was a young kid. That poor dog must have had a hell of a hangover. He got into the trash can that night, shreded and scattered garbage all over the neighborhood.

    Disclaimer: My brother had/has serious "issues" but he could get by with bloody murder in my family just because he is a male.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Men my ex use to feed his shetlon pony beer in a pan.
    But the pony loved it. Begged for it.

  6. #6
    I came home to a chewed up, licked clean tube of chapstick tonight. It was a pretty new tube, but she didn't get sick.

    My dog will eat ANYTHING...she can be pretty disgusting.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

  7. #7
    My schanuzer will eat anything too. One night, he ate a emory board while I was taking a bath.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I came home to a chewed up, licked clean tube of chapstick tonight. It was a pretty new tube, but she didn't get sick.
    Sounds like you have the doggy version of our Moo Cat. He loves the taste and smell of Carmex lip balm -- he insists on licking the finger I apply it with clean, and tries to go for the lips. If he ever develops the ability to unscrew the lids, I've no doubt he'd eat the entire tub. He's pretty much interested in anything toxic -- the more chemical-smell it gives off, the more he wants to taste it (caulk, paint, oven cleaner, and such all get his undivided attention).

    I was stunned to find nuts on the list. Moo is also nuts about nuts -- peanuts, cashews (honey roasted and regular), and even pistachio. He's got a thing for greasy/salty snacks -- also loves popcorn and corn chips. I guess we've been really lucky because we've been tossing him nuts for years.

    I was glad to see that green veggies weren't on the bad list. My Pudders-Tat is psycho in love with asparagus, green beans, and broccoli, and will eat as much as he can get. He actually begs more aggressively for these veggies than he does for bird (chicken and turkey).
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


Similar Threads

  1. Pets
    By julran in forum Life
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
  3. Please help me name my new pets.
    By Cururipur in forum Life
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 08:13 PM
  4. Oxygen Is Toxic to Stem Cells
    By wizard5 in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2001, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •