Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you were told you had to do this??

Hey,

Pubmed, CINAHL, Cochrane...things like that.

You should be able to get access through them through the university library's website. They will have digital databases where you and search for and read many journal articles.

~HTL

Quote Originally Posted by HereToLearn View Post
    Hey,

Pubmed, CINAHL, Cochrane...things like that.

You should be able to get access through them through the university library's website. They will have digital databases where you and search for and read many journal articles.

~HTL
    Oh yea, I have access to all of those!! I'll check em out!! Thanks!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

You've got some good advice there, IMHO. With some luck the teacher will end up learning a lot (assuming she's reasonably open minded).
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I say just go everyday & do the things you CAN do. While the other students are doing things you are unable to do suggest that you go lift weights or something. I would think as long as you have good attendance & try do stuff as much as you can you shouldn't have any problems. If you do have problems with the teacher not being satisfied with that then I would make a fight about it.
    agree. since it is required, make the best of it. I'd love to go for you though.

Thanks guys!!! You have to love educating people

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Go to the class. Attempt everything you can, within reason. Give it your absolute best go. Smile alot, and enjoy it.
    Both you and they will probably all discover things you didn't know before.
    And take a camera with video facility to record footage if you need it for any malpractice suit later etc.

Probably a silly question, but are you going to school in the US?

Hi Becky,
    I would completely de-stress about this if you can. It sounds like many courses where you are forced to learn something that might not be at all personally relevant. That's OK, as what they most want is for you to regurgitate what you have learned for the normal healthy body. Having done that you get your grade, period. Think of it as nothing more than a visit to another planet. It's just a visit, but learn the language while you are in the class and then you can put the whole thing behind you, or take parts of it that ARE relevant with you when the course ends.

Becky, I would also suggest going to your doctor(s), esp. your cardiologist and endocrinologist with the course syllabus and have them write letters regarding what you can and can not do safely. Also, I bet the disabilities services office might help you locate a volunteer to help push you to the building where the class is located. This seems like a reasonable accomodation given your cardiac challenges.

When I was an undergrad...long time before my SCI...I had to take two classes in health and exercise. One was a general class...that required us to run a mile. Another was a tennis class (my choice). I was scared about the tennis class because I was recovering from a serious illness at the time, but I talked to the instructor and she did not push me beyond what I was able to do...and I was pleased to find that many in the class sucked equally with me in tennis...lol. It ended up being a fun experience.

Hope everything works out for the best. Colleges...and especially the exercise freaks in the health sciences departments...can be cold and rigid sometimes.
    Last edited by Danine; 03-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    So..... I need some advice! I am supposed to take this course for school entitled "Personal Health". Now this course has two components, nutrition and exercise. I have explained to the administration all of my health issues including cardiac, metabolic, SCI, etc, all of them. I asked if there was some other course I could take or if I could be waved from this requirement but no such luck. The class is supposed to start on the 15th of this month and I am just super stressed out about it. I mean I want to do well in the class but I don't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my health in any way. What would you guys do, if anything?

Thanks for your input!!

Becky

maybe you're just being paranoid?? just go to the class and see what it's about, you might be way overthinking the process and feel stupid later getting your blood boiling for no reason
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan