Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you were told you had to do this??

Question What would you do if you were told you had to do this??

So..... I need some advice! I am supposed to take this course for school entitled "Personal Health". Now this course has two components, nutrition and exercise. I have explained to the administration all of my health issues including cardiac, metabolic, SCI, etc, all of them. I asked if there was some other course I could take or if I could be waved from this requirement but no such luck. The class is supposed to start on the 15th of this month and I am just super stressed out about it. I mean I want to do well in the class but I don't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my health in any way. What would you guys do, if anything?

Thanks for your input!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I think if they try to force you to do anything dangerous for you, god help them - with your disability, they wouldn't dare. And if they did, you could get a note from your doctor, saying you were physically unable, due to your disability, to do whatever it is. They cannot discriminate against you, and I'm sure would be subject to having to accomodate a disability.

That said, maybe try to think of positive ways to address it - try to find the ways to do the best nutrition and exercise that is possible in your condition.

Is this course supposed to be - you have to DO the stuff? Or just learn about it?

Is there an office of disability services at your school? That may be a good place to start.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I have spoken with the disability services at the school and directly to the instructor for the course. I told her all of my concerns etc... I just got the feeling that she really doesn't understand. I mean obviously I will do anything that I am able to do and plan on taking full advantage of the nutrition portion of the course. I am just worried about the physical aspect. I mean just to get to the location of the class I get to climb a massive hill over a river and then wheel about four blocks from where the rest of my classes are located. I mean doesn't that count for physical activity?

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    Is there an office of disability services at your school? That may be a good place to start.
    great idea. you may like the class, but I would think that your disability is obvious as far as physical activity goes. is there a discription of the class?

What are they asking you to do, that is difficult for you?

Hi Becky,

What are the class requirements involving physical activity. I'm assuming all students would have to do research about what physical activity they should do to maintain healthy lifestyles. There is a decent amount of literature regarding exercise and SCI (and other health conditions)...could you use that to back yourself in what you do/don't do? It could be an interesting angle that could both help you and go a long way in educating your professor. I'm assuming your status as a a student gives you access to the databases - but if not let me know. I'd be glad to e-mail you some articles.

:O)

Jody and Tam- There is a description which states basically learning about proper nutrition in addition to learning about ways to incorporate physical activity into ones life to live a healthy life. It is a great idea!! But when I went and spoke with the instructor she told me that the physical portion of the class was mostly going to the gym and using the equipment there. I told her that I didn't know how that would work and asked if I could use the workouts I do anyway as this requirement. She said that it would not fullfill the whole requirement such as addressing cardio. I tried to explain to her the amount of workout that just getting to the class would give me but she didn't seem to get it!

HTL - which databases are you referring to??

Becky
    since 1/3/04

I say just go everyday & do the things you CAN do. While the other students are doing things you are unable to do suggest that you go lift weights or something. I would think as long as you have good attendance & try do stuff as much as you can you shouldn't have any problems. If you do have problems with the teacher not being satisfied with that then I would make a fight about it.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I say just go everyday & do the things you CAN do. While the other students are doing things you are unable to do suggest that you go lift weights or something. I would think as long as you have good attendance & try do stuff as much as you can you shouldn't have any problems. If you do have problems with the teacher not being satisfied with that then I would make a fight about it.

Yea thats what I was planning on doing anyway!! Just wanted to know if there was something else I could do....

Becky
    since 1/3/04