Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby Albatross Stomach Contents Illustrate Our Pollution of Earth

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob, great lecture by Capt. Charles Moore. I am aghast by the amount of plastic and other non-degrading junk I am personally discarding every day. In the last two days alone, I have found myself about to discard plastic bags, plastic bottles, plastic boxes, plastic utensils, etc. In the laboratory, all the chemicals and containers are plastic and disposable, including pipette tips and culture dishes. We need a factory to process all this stuff into synthetic blankets.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Jody, that turtle picture is just one of the grossest pictures that I have seen. Several efforts have been underway for over 2 decades to reduce the plastic garbage in the ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science...nep/index.html

Actually, as I read more about it... the main sources of plastic that get into the ocean come from:
    1. plastic litter flushed down the toilet, into storm sewers, and overflow from water treatment plants
    2. garbage dumped by boats and ships into the ocean. In 1975, the National Academy of Science estimated that 14 billion pounds of garbage were being dumped into the ocean every year. That was 35 years ago. The United States is responsible for about a third of this ocean pollution. Even though it has been illegal for ships to dump plastics into the ocean, it has continued.
    3. fishermen leave thousands of miles of drift nets and other gears in the ocean every year.

The consequences include many animals. For example, the National Marine Mammal Laboratory concluded that plastic is killing up to 40,000 seals a year. Millions of seabirds and sea turtles, countless fish, and others are dying. The Center for Marine Conservation has been coordinating coastal cleanups since 1986, including nationwide campaigns that took place in the United States. The MARPOL treaty of 1988 was an international treaty that forbade the dumping of debris into the ocean. Canada and Mexico joined in the cleanup. In 1993, over 3.1 million pounds of trash was collected. (Source).
    sorry Dr young,
    I could not resist. I have a special love for turtles tortoises frogs and toads. My sister was involved with the San Diego zoo at one time to rehab California tortoises and confiscated Asian terrapin. that is how I became interested. the frog and toad extinction rate is very disturbing over the last decade. hundreds of species are gone. Due to the clear cutting of jungle and forest though, ten new species have been discovered in the last two years, only to be nearly wiped out by citrid fungus. a fungus that they can no longer fight off. polution is suspected to be the cause. I was looking at google earth and wow, canada is the only place in the world with very larg virgin forest. the rest is just small patches here and there all over the planet. I am very glad to learn that some clean up being attempted in the oceans. now if only we can stop eating whale and blue fin tuna for a decade or two.

...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

good awareness video.

For some reason I can not see the youtube videos anymore just a big white box with a tiny little picture in the corner?

This is the first time I have looked in this thread. I think it is the saddest thing I have seen in a while Definitely makes me consider all those water botles I buy bc it is more convenient for the kids sports. No more...
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Who to point fingers at ?

Story of Stuff; How Things Work, About Stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The following picture is a baby albatross that had died and photographed on Midway Atoll, thousands of miles from any human habitation. Fed things that their parents thought may be edible, these baby albatrosses died from the pollution that we dump into the ocean.

http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=11
    Dr. Young, that is just terrible. I know when Oprah did a special on the pollution in the ocean, it deeply saddened me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Who to point fingers at ?

Story of Stuff; How Things Work, About Stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8
    Ahh, my wife asks me why I still have every one of my old Macs from day 1. Well, not every one, but a lot of them. I wish that I could say that I knew deep in my liver that someday my Macs would end up in the Pacific gyre and that would make me really sad. That is why I kept them.

Seriously, however, the stuff that I threw out, like my old computers, cell phones, stereos, cameras, batteries, refridgerators, and even CD's cannot compare the plastic wrappings that come around with the stuff that we buy. This is particularly true with food and other disposables.

Since starting this thread, I have been counting the number of plastic objects that I throw away. It is shocking. Everything is wrapped in plastic. I buy underwear, it is wrapped in plastic. I get a salad, it is in a plastic container with a top. The salad dressing is in a smaller container with its own cap and there is a plastic fork and the whole thing is put into a plastic bag.

Suppose that I throw at least 10 plastic items away every day. If I am average for about a billion people that live in the developed world and use a lot of plastic, a little arithmetic indicates that over 10 billion plastic items are thrown away every day. That is over 3.6 trilion plastic items thrown away per year.

If each item weigh 10 grams, that equals 36 billion kilograms of plastic per year. Let us suppose further that the plastic weighs about 1 kg per liter. If so, this means that every year, we throw enough plastic way to occupy 36 billion liters of space. That is approximately equal to 30 million football fields of plastic trash that is about 4 inches (10 cm) thick. So, plastic trash as far as the eye can see and the brain can imagine. And that is just for one year. Imagine this going on for a hundred years.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-14-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Sad. I'm responsible for that plastic.