Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: eMedicine Article on Paralysis

eMedicine Article on Paralysis

While not a happy subject, I thought this article was 'chock-full' of information. I especially found it interesting with regard to risk of suicide, as well as life expectancy and marital status.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/322480-overview

The rate of alcohol intoxication among individuals who sustain SCI is 17-49%.

SCIs occur most frequently in July and least commonly in February.

Single persons sustain SCIs more commonly than do married persons. Research has indicated that among persons with SCI whose injury is approximately 15 years old, one third will remain single 20 years postinjury. The marriage rate after SCI is annually about 59% below that of persons in the general population of comparable gender, age, and marital status.

Patients aged 20 years at the time they sustain an SCI have a life expectancy of approximately 33 years (patients with tetraplegia), 39 years (patients with low tetraplegia), or 44 years (patients with paraplegia).

The annual death rate for patients with acute SCI is 750-1000 deaths per year in the United States.

The leading causes of death in patients following SCI are pneumonia and other respiratory conditions, followed by heart disease, subsequent trauma, and septicemia. Suicide and alcohol-related deaths are also major causes of death in patients with SCI. In persons with SCI, the suicide rate is higher among individuals who are younger than 25 years.

Among patients with incomplete paraplegia, the leading causes of death are cancer and suicide (1:1 ratio), while among persons with complete paraplegia, the leading cause of death is suicide, followed by heart disease.

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

sobering (NO pun intended) stats.

Sobering? Damn depressing is what they are.

Either the life expectancy stats in the article are wrong, or CC members are the absolute outliers in their life expectancy bell curve. There are so many people here who have long outlived the stats they list. Hey 55, according to this article, you are the outliers' outlier!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I'm doomed but was injured in February.
    Last edited by dash; 04-19-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: forgot something

It's pretty depressing, although I have every intention of being an outlier at the far end of the survival scale

and too think we have ass-holes in the cure section saying we should keep our mouth shut to the reality to sci. just pretend the negative away and show a positive smile.
    maybe they mean like louis armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    and too think we have ass-holes in the cure section saying we should keep our mouth shut to the reality to sci. just pretend the negative away and show a positive smile.
    maybe they mean like louis armstrong.
    I do not believe anyone said we should "keep our mouths shut" as much as some of us believe that playing the SCI equivalent to "Jerry's Kids" is regressive and less likely to open doors of opportunity in other realms of life. One can either play the pathetic cripple card or can be seen as a whole person who is worthy of cure.

Depressing. Does not help to bury our heads in the sand either. The respiratory complications are our (meaning at our house) worst enemy. We now have cough assist machine, suction and 2 types of breathing treatments.
    All we can do it try to take the best care we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I do not believe anyone said we should "keep our mouths shut" as much as some of us believe that playing the SCI equivalent to "Jerry's Kids" is regressive and less likely to open doors of opportunity in other realms of life. One can either play the pathetic cripple card or can be seen as a whole person who is worthy of cure.
    if playing jerry kids gets us the cure, so be it. if the public see sci as no big deal, then there will be no pressure or incentive to cure. this article proves what many of us already knew, that sci is a big deal. so why pretend its not so AB's dont see us jerry kids. f what they think. i want the cure.

"The Cure" sounds so silly to me. I'd laugh if not so pathetic. I seriously doubt if anything covering all comes along as "The Cure". Steps will be made probably for specific groups, ie young, newly injured w/ little or no atrophy. From there possibly some movement w/out feeling... "The Cure" across the board just seems impossible.
    Remember, I was told in 1970 about a cure in 10yrs. I'm just glad I lived a full life with nothing stopping me. Those I knew in rehab with the same or lower injuries who hid, stayed in the family home and were catered to are no longer with us. They were forever "sick" and died from septecemia or phneumonias.
    Last edited by dash; 04-19-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo, see on emi's