Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic news reporter passes in her sleep.

Paraplegic news reporter passes in her sleep.

She did a feature on me when I was injured back in '93. Good reporter, good person.

http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/86633517.html
    Darcy Pohland was 'heartbeat' of WCCO-TV

Disability never got in the way of her job.

Darcy Pohland

Reporter Darcy Pohland had her coworkers at WCCO-TV rolling with laughter Wednesday as she wrote the script for "Good Questions: Why Are Jingles So Catchy?" a feature that aired that evening.

On Friday morning, those co-workers were thrown into shock and grief when they learned that their friend, a longtime, intrepid and popular reporter at WCCO, had died in her sleep overnight. She had not been feeling well in the past week, friends and co-workers said.

Pohland, 48, one of only a few paraplegic reporters in the TV news business, never let her wheelchair get in the way of covering a story.
    "She was the heartbeat of the station, and in many ways the heartbeat of the community," WCCO-TV General Manager Susan Adams Loyd said Friday during an appearance on WCCO Radio's "Mondale and Jones" show. "She was never afraid to ask the hard questions or tackle the tough issues. She exuded energy in everything she did. The speed at which she moved at all times, despite the disability -- it was a nonissue for her in how she approached her job."

Pohland grew up in Mendota Heights and graduated from Henry Sibley High School.

According to a biography posted at wcco.com, her favorite word was "perseverance," and she exhibited that quality after a 1983 diving accident that broke her neck and left her paralyzed from the chest down. After five months at the University of Minnesota's Rehabilitation Center, she moved into an apartment and resumed classes at the U.

Pohland served as an intern at WCCO in 1983 and worked in the station's Washington, D.C., bureau while attending George Washington University. Three years later, after she graduated from the University of Minnesota, the station hired her at $4 an hour.

After holding such jobs as assignment desk assistant, planning editor and dispatcher, she was promoted to reporter in 1994 and went on to cover hundreds of general assignment news and feature stories.

Her last story aired Wednesday when she filled in for Jason DeRusha on the Good Questions segment. "She had us laughing so hard as she was writing the story," said WCCO reporter Esme Murphy. "She was just a joy." Pohland will be remembered for her "bright, sparkly eyes and ear-to-ear smile," Adams Loyd said.

A sports enthusiast, Pohland was a diehard Vikings and Golden Gophers fan. She also loved figure skating, musical theater, books and her two Tonkinese cats, Cleo and Kai, according to her biography.
    "She was a wonderful person," Murphy said. "The world is a dimmer place because of this."

She is survived by two brothers. Her mother died last month.

Buetiful woman , sounds like amazing person. Lot of respect for what she has done with her short life. Atleast she went in her sleep?.
    oh well

She is in my prayers
    Sorry to see losses like this
    Hugs
    Gypsylady

We lost a great spokes person, and example of what we can do with grace and style.RIP

condolences to her family and friends. I am interested in knowing what the cause of death was.

So young and she got high in the competitive TV news business. I too wonder why she died. My prayers go to her family and friends.

I found this story, it tells a lot about her life. She was a quadriplegic, she broke her neck in a diving accident in 1983.
    http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_14...nclick_check=1

Here's an excerpt from it that tells how she had been feeling for several days before her death.

"Pohland apparently died in her sleep at her home in Minneapolis; she was found by her personal care attendant Friday morning. She was 48.

She had been feeling faint, with flu-like symptoms, friends and family reported.

"She had mentioned to her attendant that she was not feeling well for the past three or four days," sister-in-law Holly Pohland said Friday from her home in Everett, Wash. "She did make a doctor's appointment, and she was going to go this morning."

Pohland said the family was deciding whether to request an autopsy."
    Renee

Sad story.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Here's a link to WCCO-TV, the news station she worked for. To the right of her picture are links to videos of her reports, reports honoring her and her Bio.

There are lots of great stories about her from her colleagues and friends.

http://wcco.com/local/darcy.pohland....ectflash=false
    Renee

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The medical examiner has determined that veteran WCCO-TV reporter Darcy Pohland died from a ruptured artery related to a stomach ulcer.

The 48-year-old Pohland died in her sleep March 5 in her Minneapolis home. The Hennepin County medical examiner ruled she died of natural causes.

Pohland was paralyzed in a diving accident in 1983. She had not been feeling well in the days before she died, but was unable to feel the pain in her stomach.

Pohland had been an intern at WCCO-TV before her accident, and in 1986 returned to a part-time off-camera job. In 1994 she began reporting from her wheelchair.
    http://www.kttc.com/global/story.asp?s=12348158