Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

Nutritionists have long warned of the perils of hot dogs: fat, sodium and preservatives to name a few.

Now, the American Academy of Pediatrics wants foods like hot dogs to come with a warning label — not because of their nutritional risks but because they pose a choking hazard to babies and children.

Better yet, the academy would like to see foods such as hot dogs "redesigned" so their size, shape and texture make them less likely to lodge in a youngster's throat. More than 10,000 children under 14 go to the emergency room each year after choking on food, and up to 77 die, says the new policy statement, published online today in Pediatrics. About 17% of food-related asphyxiations are caused by hot dogs.

"If you were to take the best engineers in the world and try to design the perfect plug for a child's airway, it would be a hot dog," says statement author Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. "I'm a pediatric emergency doctor, and to try to get them out once they're wedged in, it's almost impossible."
    Click here for the rest.

I don't know what it is about this idea but it and kind of make me giggle. Why don't people just cut pieces some small enough so people can't choke on the damn things or something like that. Could you imagine a hotdog shaped like a hamburger. That would be bright.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Week old news. I ate and lots kids ate hots dogs. Your dumb enough to die from chocking on a hot dog , oh well. Mom said chew your food since I was a rugrat. Thank God the ones died gene pool will not go on.
    oh well

I see no need to redesign the hot dog when concerned parents have many options; they could slice the hot dog, substitute those tiny Vienna sausages, or turn the 'dogs into cephalopods with http://octodog.net

Lmao rybread again you made me crack up TY

I dont get the concept of re inventing weiners either as they come in many styles and sizes etc... I agree with you Soliloquy
    How about they bore a 1/4 inch hole through a hotdog and keep the hotdog it's normal shape ? or make them like lifesavers

Tooo Weird Rofl

Sincerely :
    Gypsylady
    Last edited by GL; 03-07-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: needed a letter

Maybe Snapple should come out with liquid hot dogs. That would help
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Uggghhhh yuck lmao just thinking of that
    Does the concept " That Sucks " liquid hotdogs rofl Wait dont astronauts drink their food ? lol if so do they drink Sabrett hotdogs
    How Are you doing rybread ? I am taking it easy tonight my pain got bad so I am chilling out You know the jive Sometimes we have our days huh ?
    Liquid Hotdogs iiiiky maybe if they get mixd up in a can of Coke cola
    What you think lol ?

Ty for the good laughs my friend
    Sincerely:
    Gypsylady

You are hilarious
    This is so rediculous isnt it ?

When my kids were little I skinned and then cut the dogs into little bite size peices so they dont choke. Dont people have common sense anymore? Or are parents that busy to take the time to prepare a food?

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Hot Dogs

It's the nanny government, folks. They will go to any lengths to keep us safe from ourselves. Government, when I need you, I'll call, otherwise stay outta my life.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569 View Post
    When my kids were little I skinned and then cut the dogs into little bite size peices so they dont choke. Dont people have common sense anymore? Or are parents that busy to take the time to prepare a food?
    Exactly! Total common sense but nobody takes responsibilty anymore. Damn hotdog makers killing kids, they should be ashamed.

My husband pointed out to me that there are now instructions on hotdogs on how to properly cut them up for children.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Exactly! Total common sense but nobody takes responsibilty anymore. Damn hotdog makers killing kids, they should be ashamed.

My husband pointed out to me that there are now instructions on hotdogs on how to properly cut them up for children.
    Just what I was going to say. I never realized there were "directions" now.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005