Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friend just had SCI in Nicaragua 30hrs ago

Good, I'm glad it's a legit doctor. Best wishes for your friend.

Methylprednisilone must be given IV for acute SCI. It is not available orally. It must be started within 8 hours of the injury, and there is no evidence that giving it later than that will be effective. I will ask Dr. Young to comment here as well.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by dylankrapf View Post
    Hi all,
    My friend just had a SCI at C5-C6 while swimming in Nicaragua. She has lost motor function in here hands and feet. She was given methelprednasolon(sp?) at the injury site. She did not break any vertebrae and only has swelling between C5-C6. They are debating sending her home to Philadelphia to have surgery at Jefferson Hospital or stay in Nicaragua. They said the doctor down there is was educated in the US and also has a practice in Miami. At this point I think they have decided to stay down there and she will have surgery sunday or monday. I always thought that if you just have swelling of a disk you don't need surgery. Will she need a halo or just a neck brace? If you have any suggestions or info, please let me know.
    Dylankrapf,

I am glad that she received methylprednisolone.

It is not a good idea to second-guess decisions that are being made on the ground elsewhere. You are getting second-hand reports from somebody who may not know what is going on. Usually, spinal cord injury causes a fracture of the spinal column that may be unstable or may be compressing the spinal cord.

If your friend's spinal cord is unstable or compressed, the standard practice is to operate to decompress and stabilize the spinal cord. About half of spinal cord injuries have unstable fractures and many also have spinal cord compression. One usually does not do surgery to alleviate spinal cord swelling alone (by the way, it is very likely swelling of her spinal cord and not her disk since she is paralyzed).

The key to the decision of transporting her is whether or not she is stable. If she is not stable, it is not a good idea to transport her and the surgery should be done in Nicaragua.

Wise.

Hey everyone-
    I just wanted to give you all an update on my friend. Just hours before her scheduled surgery, SOS convinced her to fly home to have the procedure done. She had the surgery, but exactly what the doctor in Nicaragua was going to do. She is up walking again and just had a little loss of sensation in her hands.

Thanks for all the info and kind thoughts.

Yea!! Great news!

Awesome - I'm so glad to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by dylankrapf View Post
    Hey everyone-
    I just wanted to give you all an update on my friend. Just hours before her scheduled surgery, SOS convinced her to fly home to have the procedure done. She had the surgery, but exactly what the doctor in Nicaragua was going to do. She is up walking again and just had a little loss of sensation in her hands.

Thanks for all the info and kind thoughts.
    Great. Wise.

His name is Alvaro, and he is a legit neurosurgeon and has practiced both in the US and in Nicaragua. I was injured in the area as well. Our decision was to get on an ambulance plane ASAP and go to the states for treatment. The decision, which was instructed by another local MD who also practices in the states, was the right one and it ended up saving my life. Long story. Go to the US as soon as you can.

Though Doctors there are very competent, the issue is with the numbers. US trauma centers see more patients in a week than most local doctors see in a year, and I don´t believe they are 100% familiar with accute SCI protocol. Go to the states.

I am very familiar with the area. If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Sorry, I missed the post where you advised that she flew home. I think she did the right thing. Let´s hope for the best. If you don´t mind, where was your friend injured exactly?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003