Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Next Mobility

I called MTS Mobility today(888-489-6398) and inquired about getting a couple parts for my old OmegaTrac. The lady I spoke with seemed informed and helpful.

During our conversation she mentioned that they are converting back to using P&G electronics for new chairs and would not be carrying parts for the LiberT electronics going forward. In other words, if an old Omegatrac requires a new joystick etc, the entire electronics system will have to be replaced. She said LiberT is too expensive for them to carry any longer.

I'd find this amusing if I didn't have an OmegaTrac with LiberT electronics. When I got my Omega in ~2000, Teftec was using P&G electronics. In about '04 my joystick crapped out and when I called Teftec, they informed me they no longer carried or supported P&G electronics. In order to get my my chair repaired, it had to be crated up, shipped to Texas, and outfitted with the new electronics system Teftec was using, the LiberT.(they would not allow local service departments to do the conversion) By the time my chair was returned to me, I was looking at ~ a $,5000 expense.

At least MTS seems comfortable allowing local wc service departments to convert "older" OmegaTracs with LiberT electronics, over to the "new" Penny & Giles. The MTS rep also suggested the P&G would be substantially cheaper, although she didn't have pricing information available for me at the time.
    Last edited by Gnomatic; 10-27-2010 at 10:55 PM.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I may have given MTS to much credit. My VA O/T has been trying unsuccessfully, to get them to supply the name of a manufacturers representative.

These people must be total fools. The VA has probably purchased more Omegatrac power wheelchairs than every other agency, company and organization combined.
    Jerks
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I may have given MTS to much credit. My VA O/T has been trying unsuccessfully, to get them to supply the name of a manufacturers representative.

These people must be total fools. The VA has probably purchased more Omegatrac power wheelchairs than every other agency, company and organization combined.
    Jerks
    Are you still trying to get a new one?
    It seems like they are trying as hard as possible not to sell these PCs.
    Rich

The seating clinician at the VA said he has the name of a rep. Well see.

I understand that there are problems when a new company takes over but firing a well established manufacturers rep and becoming almost impossible to get an answer to a question about how to order a new chair is obviously problematic and very possibly fatal.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Well, I hope they continue selling the chairs and even improve them.
    I was fortunate enough to get one in the beginning of my post SCI life.
    It took me around a rough piece of land and I got things done.
    Maybe you'll find a different but equally impressive rough-terrain powered wheel chair.
    Rich

Damn rep never called the VA back. Really unsure what to do now. We can spec chair out ourselves but without ever meeting anyone from the new company it feels shaky.

I have the Omegatracks competitor, the Frontier X-5 and because of where I live there is just no comparison. The heavier weight helps off pavement immensely, especially when I need to run off the dirt road at full speed to avoid a log truck and there is absolutely nothing like the front/rear air suspension.

Other than a dedicated off road powerchair, like the X-5's big brother, I'm screwed.

I was once considering a Permobil because it has large front wheel drive wheels but I am unsure how well the suspension works off pavement.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-06-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

I had several Permobils and still use one every day because I'm mainly indoors or on paved roads. I also had an Omega Track. There is no comparison when it comes to outdoors. The Omega track is way,way better. The Permobil gets stuck outside very easily.

I am totally and completely frustrated by these jerks. Nothing but unreturned phone calls and messages from me.

The VA has repeatedly attempted to contact them by every route available with no success. No one buys more chairs of this type than them.

Even their dealers tell us to contact MTS/Next Mobility. At 25 grand for an Omegatrac, you would think they would be more helpful. I guess I have about given up.

I am very concerned about having my old one repaired. The change in electronics is bad enough. These chairs cost a fortune and now they are going to cheapen the most important parts. You can bet the price won't go down.

At the request of the seating clinician, I am looking at the Otto Bock C2000 powerchair. It appears to operate much the same except for the air suspension.
    I would definitely miss the air suspension and the ability to climb 45 degree hills, escalators and drive down steps.

German engineering would be a definite plus.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 02-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

I don't see how they can survive after this. Maybe a contact with their local Chamber of Commerce is in order. Maybe they can find out what is going on.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Wrong place
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt