Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Mobility

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    they were at ISS. Pride did NOT buy them.
    Did anybody?

Next Mobility was a second company working under CTS. CTS is, in my understanding, the company that made the computer systems for the ibot, as well as iglide and now Tailwind. My understanding is a venture capital group by the name of Lorus was putting up all the financial support for CTS after they bought rights to the Tailwind from J&J. That company had some regulatory practice problems and went into forclosure.

A company called Miller Technical Services, had purchased Next. I'm told, the in house people have not changed. All my normal contacts are still there and its seems to be business as usual.

However in talking to my local rep, he said he honestly didn't have much to say of MTS because there has been little interaction from the new owners. This always worries me and as a dealer and someone interested in buying a Tailwind myself I want to know the company will be there to support the product. I've sent a letter to that effect and detailing the concern consumers rightfully have. I'll keep you guys up to date when I hear something.

I'd like to know how many Omegatracs they're selling.
    It seems like such a niche market.
    Will it go the way of the Ibot?
    Rich

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I hope not pararich. There are not many front wheel drive powerchairs manufactured now.
    I truly miss my OmegaTrac since it's in the shop. I really hate to have front casters like my Frontier X-5 that I am using now.
    Front casters really suck outside since whenever they contact any type of obstructions they throw the chair to the right or the left and are constantly in the way hitting things inside. Front wheel drive just powers right through.

Their total quality is much superior to any other powerchair that I've used. My Quickie and X-5, the Invacare TDX that I was using for drivers training and the Pride Mobility Jazzy (the worst) that the VA ordered for me without my input just don't compare.

I have a number of problems with my new X-5, although many of them are with the motion concepts seating.

A wheelchair technician who I know with over 30 years in the business and has issued, to his account, over 3,000 chairs said,

"One half of all wheelchairs don't work out of the box, one half of whats left fail in the first month and the rest break within the first year." Kind of discouraging.

Only two problems have occurred with my Omegatrac. The leaking sealed bearing on my transaxle and I've put his chair through hell for the last 4.75 years, that has been barely dripping since last summer. It has a 13 ounce reservoir.
    And the original compressor system, which inflates the extremely comfortable air suspension, held moisture and damaged the solenoid. This compressor box was re-engineered with a moisture drain and I have had no problems with it for the last two years

I desperately need it back now that spring has sprung.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I hope not pararich. There are not many front wheel drive powerchairs manufactured now.
    I truly miss my OmegaTrac since it's in the shop. I really hate to have front casters like my Frontier X-5 that I am using now.
    Front casters really suck outside since whenever they contact any type of obstructions they throw the chair to the right or the left and are constantly in the way hitting things inside. Front wheel drive just powers right through.

Their total quality is much superior to any other powerchair that I've used. My Quickie and X-5, the Invacare TDX that I was using for drivers training and the Pride Mobility Jazzy (the worst) that the VA ordered for me without my input just don't compare.

I have a number of problems with my new X-5, although many of them are with the motion concepts seating.

A wheelchair technician who I know with over 30 years in the business and has issued, to his account, over 3,000 chairs said,

"One half of all wheelchairs don't work out of the box, one half of whats left fail in the first month and the rest break within the first year." Kind of discouraging.

Only two problems have occurred with my Omegatrac. The leaking sealed bearing on my transaxle and I've put his chair through hell for the last 4.75 years, that has been barely dripping since last summer. It has a 13 ounce reservoir.
    And the original compressor system, which inflates the extremely comfortable air suspension, held moisture and damaged the solenoid. This compressor box was re-engineered with a moisture drain and I have had no problems with it for the last two years

I desperately need it back now that spring has sprung.
    forestranger
    I know what you mean about wanting your Omegatrac back for spring.
    Mine is about 10 years old. I don't think they ever changed the trans oil.
    A very small amount of black oil came out and I put in fresh. But, since I've had it, I've replaced both motors (they probably burned out because of the transmission not being maintained).
    Also, I replaced the solenoids because of the moisture problem.
    Now, its running well.
    Rich

Spoke with the dealer rep again today. He still can not make any connection with his previous contacts at NM including the owner. This concerns me as my Omegatrac is awaiting repairs that may require specific parts from the manufacturer and depending on cost, the VA may decide to replace the wheelchair.

I WANT MY OMEGATRAC BACK! I do not know what I would do if I had to select a different chair.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Looks like problems.

Next's telephone line has rung busy all day. I called another line for dealers and got an answering machine from Miller Technical Services.

This is not good and concerns the hell out of me.

Maybe Jeff can find out something.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

When I was at the Abilities Expo I talked with one of the regional sales reps. I wanted to give you guys an update but have been swamped. She said that there is a licensing issue with the Tailwind that arose when MTS took over.

However, she said the issue was only with the Tailwind, which halts all current production until they clear up licensing with J&J. According to her OmegaTracs are still selling, quite well, and being serviced.

I'll check back with her periodically to get updates.

Dang, with all the different owners, corp. and groups, ya kind of wonder who's on first.

When it rains, it pours. Nothing like having to deal with a crippled company.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/