Thread: stampede in india

stampede in india

there has been news of several stampedes in India. one was caused when free food and clothing was being given away, and over 10.000 people showed and became riled when the gates were closed due to the amount of people and how unruley they became. another was at a religeous gathering. and yet another at a public market. How does this kind of thing happen? I remember the who concert thing in the seventies. the people were crushed againts the doors and walls by people behind, and as far as I know this is very rare in other places in the world, but for some reason not uncommon in india. how is it that so many are crushed beneath the feet of their fellow man? why is this sort of thing more common there than in other places. there is starvation and poverty all over the world, but not stampeds that crush and kill dozens of people except in india. why do you think that is? what can be done to prevent this in the future?

Whenever people are in dire straits this sort of thing can happen. It happened in the lst few weeks in Haiti, and it happened in New Orleans after Katrina, thanks to the slow response for adequate help. My belief, as unrealistic as it might be, is that when governments put their people first, instead of military armaments, then the people's day to day existence will improve greatly, and the panic of being left out of the greater whole will diminish.

Jody there also have been massive Camel stampedes in that region lol
    Slap me
    Hope ya had a smile
    Sincrely ;
    Gypsylady

I recently saw a TV show about stadium construction, and how people crushed others to death in England. Apparently anywhere there's a huge crowd, and lack of crowd control, it can happen. Scary stuff. People packed together so tightly their lungs couldn't inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    there has been news of several stampedes in India. one was caused when free food and clothing was being given away, and over 10.000 people showed and became riled when the gates were closed due to the amount of people and how unruley they became. another was at a religeous gathering. and yet another at a public market. How does this kind of thing happen? I remember the who concert thing in the seventies. the people were crushed againts the doors and walls by people behind, and as far as I know this is very rare in other places in the world, but for some reason not uncommon in india. how is it that so many are crushed beneath the feet of their fellow man? why is this sort of thing more common there than in other places. there is starvation and poverty all over the world, but not stampeds that crush and kill dozens of people except in india. why do you think that is? what can be done to prevent this in the future?
    Population density it the most obvious answer. If you have ever been to India you are actually amazed that there are'nt more stampedes, road traffic accidents etc etc. It's not just poverty, but also greed. You should see our mall when the shops open for January sales. Civility goes out the window and panic and desperation kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    I recently saw a TV show about stadium construction, and how people crushed others to death in England. Apparently anywhere there's a huge crowd, and lack of crowd control, it can happen. Scary stuff. People packed together so tightly their lungs couldn't inflate.
    Yes, we have had a number of tragic stadium crushes here in the UK. The most notable was the Hilsborough disaster when 92 Liverpool fans were crushed to death due to poor security control. Back in those days the pitch (field) was ring-fenced to stop the crowd spilling onto the pitch. Thankfully things are much better now and the fences do not exist - but the families of the Hilsborough disaster are still campaigning against the Police and security teams for the part that they played.

Hilsborough was one of the events shown - absolutely horrific.

We have the shopping craziness on Black Friday (the sales the day after Thanksgiving) - I think there was a Walmart stampede a few years back, where someone was killed.

this is so avoidable though. people crushing people. I avoid the mass stampede at christmas if at all possible.

I almost got crushed and trampeled on at a Bob Segar concert in the early 80's. It was an all day event in the old Orange Bowl in Orlando. I 'thought' we had great seats up near the stage. I had gotten on the ground, turned my w/c upside down, sat on my cushion and leaned back against the bottom of my chair seat.
    w/in seconds of the band prior to Segar was announced a mass of bodies got forced foreward. My chair went one way w/ people kicking and tripping all over it.
    I reasided the danger and some who saw me got really smashed up against a chain link next to the stage. Microphones were being usrd telling people to stay back and they had no clue this quad was being trampled. Several people were injured so badly they were removed by ambulance. I was tapping then tugging on big guys shirts. They'd look down and I'm sure some thought they were hallucinating. Finally the friends found me, a guy picked me up and I watched butts rather then the band after the delay. Moral of my story; stay at least one level up in a stadium.
    This was pre ADA, I liked spending the day w/ my friends over a 'special section' though rethink where.
    We were just spoiled kids. India has millions starving. Anyone remember the concert and movie to raise funds for Bangladesh? Those poverty stricken people are right next to India.