Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's expected before leaving rehab?

I got out of rehab September of last year (2009). T8 complete. I was released because my insurance thought I was fine and wouldn't pay anymore. I still had to wear a TLSO so could not do bowel care (couldn't reach my pooper). I had some wheelchair skills but because of the brace it was hard to balance. I could cath, kinda put on my clothes (not being able to reach my feet hampered my ability to put on socks and shoes. Could transfer with a board fairly well. It was a struggle when I got my brace off 3 weeks after I left rehab, had to relearn my balance, wheelchair skills and how to transfer. I am a little bitter considering I pay 1300 bucks a month for insurance.

But good news is next friday I am getting on a plane for the first time since my accident and will be staying hotels for two weeks. It was a fun journey to get this far.

C6/7, Got out in 1991 after 5 months at Mt Sinai in NYC...

in/out of bed, chair, shower chair.
    personal hygiene - washing face, brushing teeth, shower.
    skin care - check my butt w/ adapted mirror.
    feed myself.
    wheeling - including up/down steep ramps/inclines, able to instruct others how to pop me up/down curbs.
    falling out of chair throw legs to side, instruct others how to get me back into chair.
    transferring in/out of vehicle, instruct others on chair breakdown & storage.

We tried some dressing, shoes, etc - but I had more tone back, then making it very difficult. It wasn't till a year after when I significantly improved in ADL.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Re: What's expected before leaving rehab?

Dear ThinkerGirl,

The biggest surprise I ran into was the lack of follow up from Inpatient to outpatient. I was assured 60 ways to Sunday and until some therapists were blue in the face that "care" would continue. A doctor and some of the therapists were acutely aware that a bulk of the patients would be discharged and then stop or quit Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Vocational Therapy.

I had one therapist to tell me some grim statistics regarding fatality rates post discharge and in short it was beyond repugnant. I have run into several people here in the threads who were also injured on the job and were (and still are) pissed off at how the system lies to them (to the worker) to "compensate" them.

Five years post injury I feel like I am still wondering what things I missed out because of the apathy that care providers and patients disjunction while communicating. I agree about peer support and the critical need for advocacy in and among the SCI Community. There are some things that we the disabled have run into that other able bodied people just do not understand.

The things I have become frustrated with on a big scale is the terminology that are commonly used but rarely understood. Some of those acronyms and terminology jumble are: PT, OT, PCA, ADL, DM Need, DME, Adaptive Equipment, PD, TD, SSI, SSDI, FICA, CIL, ICF, CMS, SSA, Aquatic Therapy, Vocational Rehabilitation, Equal Opportunity, HIPPA, TTW&WI, Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Set-A-Side, Life Care Plan, Volunteer, Donation, Gift, Resources, Service Provider, Co-Pay, Health Insurance, Payment Premium, Qualifying Period, Medical Expense, Schedule R, W-2, 1099, Atrophy, Osteoporosis, ASIA Classification.

If you can Private Message me I could go on further because if we the disabled cannot help ourselves then even fewer people are going to go that extra mile on our behalf.

From to ,

Here is a brief list of what I had to do
    First of all Be as Grumpy as you can this makes everything easier in the long run
    Did I mention hydrate ?

Me Jarhead Gypsylady 2000..95/ 60 160-6'tall or so
    Wait thats my Vin for a vehicle lol
    1) Push my manual wheelchair with 2 Grey concrete blocks hooked to my earlobes
    2) Brush hair and try gluing the ones that I pulled out back in with crazy glue
    3) Change the Rehab bus tire
    4) learn 40 different languages
    5) Eat lots of spinach and pick grapes for the vinyards
    6) Be a weeblewooble clown toy model for hasbrooo
    7) Dress myself while hanging upside down with my legs strapped to a bar
    8) Hydrate
    9) evacuate
    10 ) shovel Dirt into a hill to wheel up with a 60 degree gradient
    11) Rehydrate
    12) Poop
    13 ) Shower
    14) mudwrestle
    15) write a 200 page report on how to brush my teeth
    16 ) Hydrate
    17) Feed the Goldfish
    18) Do Soduku puzzles
    19) confuse myself
    20) just get my ass home and enjoy life
    Get home and workout in a real Gymn
    soon i'll try learning water therapy for some reason the rehab place didnt help me with this none of us
    Whaz up with playdo and oooh I loved the Breakfasts all sausage paatties and oatmeal
    I never liked playdough or picking red beans out of a bowl of rice
    Years back I taught myself how to Catheterize myself which is just something that was a fluke of nature I dont know how I managed but I did .
    Oddly I even monthly would totally change my own indwelling catheter because I felt more comfortable Sorry but no male nurses gonna go look at my privates lol .. I never trusted anyone to change my catheters so it is fairly easy for me ...
    This blew their minds .. They asked me how do I know how to do this I said look A girl just knows her body .....
    All of my life i've done thing's my way so I really dont think Rehab was much any good for me they knew I was very strong willed and I had my style of life .

Therapy wise I actually didnt have much because I worked out on my own most everyday in rehab and I focused on getting dressed and important things of that nature pertaining to real life

I just didnt understand the whole Rehab thing !!! Waste my time pulling on rubber and junk

Sincerely;
    JarheadGypsylady2000000000

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerGirl View Post
    I am really appreciative of the input so far! Thank you all. Please keep it coming. This is very helpful.
    Here in the UK rehab included the following:

B/B management
    Bed/Chair transfers
    Showering
    Bath & Toilet Transfers
    Car transfers
    Dressing Practise - In Bed and In Chair
    Kitchen Skills
    Handcycling
    Hydro/Water Therapy
    Traditional Physiotherapy
    Seating clinic (finding the best seat for you)
    Wheelchair skills - ramps, kerbs, wheelies etc
    Wheelchair sports (basketball, tennis, field hockey, rugby etc etc)
    Educational lectures regarding disability benefits, driving, sexuality, fitness, bowels, bladder, pressure sores, drugs, returning to work, depression etc etc

I think that is about it.

Fly Pelican Fly