Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 32 years

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This was excellent advice ... I went out today and the sky was perfectly blue, the sun was full out, it was t-shirt and hoodie weather and I sat at the park with my cat after taking her to the vet, sipping on an iced cappucino while her ears perked at the sounds of seagulls overhead. Even saw a few 'mini-bergs' at the mouth of Lake St Clair (where it enters the Detroit River, near Belle Isle). And my first swans in the wild! Doesn't get much better than that!

(And Welcome to CareCure, Brian).
    thats a beautiful picture lynnifer, i hope you had a great day, seems we all get so busy and everyplace we go has to have a destination, sometimes it's great to just start out and go.
    I was stuck at work, but that picture looks great
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Not to steal Bruce's glory re:his anniversary thread, but welcome Brian Brat.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    all i can tell everyone is, immediately head to your front door, open, go out, shut door, and take off for several hours, even if destination unknown!
    Great advice. Everyone should do this at least once! Many moons ago, before I was a family man, I loaded up my S10 pickup with a backpack of cloths, sleeping bag, beef jerky, water, and a few hundred bucks and headed out of FT Worth, TX with no certain destination in mind. You see, I was just a couple of years post SCI, still depressed and struggling through the emotional roller coaster of dealing with my "new life" and had to get away from it all and clear my head.

Anyway, I ended up on a 15 day "life journey" through Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado, while sleeping in the bed of the truck along river banks and state parks and eating meals at roadside stands. I met some nice people and saw beautiful country but more importantly I gained a lot of independence and perspective.

Little did I know then that I would venture out on many more "walkabouts" through Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. but the first one had the most influence.

Oh, and congrats on 32 years of post SCI survival!!

hi brian. welcome too. i was pulled in by your story as well and felt the love you have in your life. you reminded me of myself. i had those damn tongs in my head and was on that rotating bed that they flipped you on every 4 hours. it was like the dark ages. did you by any chance have a pair of prism glases so you could see around the room and family and friends? god, am i going back in time. i guess i'm an old she goat

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    hi brian. welcome too. i was pulled in by your story as well and felt the love you have in your life. you reminded me of myself. i had those damn tongs in my head and was on that rotating bed that they flipped you on every 4 hours. it was like the dark ages. did you by any chance have a pair of prism glases so you could see around the room and family and friends? god, am i going back in time. i guess i'm an old she goat
    yep, the first week of my injury, they forgot to move all the iv's one time, so when they sandwiched me in, and went to flip the bed, it went about halfway before all the lines grabbed it and jerked me back hard, i let out a big scream, thought my mom was gonna kick the dudes ass right then and there
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Ahhh nothing like a good set of Crutchfield Tongs and a Stryker frame. I endured them both at UVA Hospital in 1972. Funny thing is I now work for the son of Dr. Crutchfield, (the inventor of the infamous tongs).
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein